Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Legal Questions & Issues » Legal Aid Query
Legal Aid Query 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Ace64821
Pictures: 0

Hi

does anyone know how they calculate entitlement to Legal Aid in Cyprus? My friend has been told that she can't get legal aid (family court matter) as she is working! but she doesn't earn a lot and has small children for whom she pays school fees etc and really she has no spare cash at all

I have googled etc and all I can find is:

Entitled to receive legal aid is any natural person (nationals and non nationals)
who cannot bear the costs of the proceedings without
affecting the basic needs and obligations of himself and his family.
]

she had to hand over several hundred euro today and is distraught, she is panicking that she won't be able to defend herself from a very violent abusive person!

any info would be appreciated
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:13 am Reply with quote
milano

Not much info on this and what there is old so might not be relevant but...
and I'm going to presume it's Larnaca Court, I did come across something that says legal aid application forms are available from the Registrar's Office at the court house and that office will decide if you are entitled to legal aid or not and then the court/you will be advised if you qualify.

So that might be a good place to start - I do know that there is a Registrar's office at the court, not sure which floor but when I went there in May (on a Probate case) the woman there spoke English and was helpful and may well point you in the right direction. And if they do have the application forms they will be in Greek and (fingers crossed!) she will help and tell you what documents etc. you have to produce.

And you may not know that court authorised translators are available without any charge at the court if you need one. Not certain how to get one but the court reception desk will tell you. The one my friend had on her Probate case was excellent because apart from doing the actual translating from Greek to English they also know the procedures of the court etc.

Hope that helps.

KIZI
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:42 am Reply with quote
Ace64821

Thank you Kizzi that is very helpful indeed. It is very helpful to know about the translators as she has been served with a 20 odd point summons and we could only get a rough idea from a friend as the person making the accusations is an out and out liar and manipulator it is vital that she understands every point, thanks again

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:37 am Reply with quote
milano

Pleased to be of some help and anything else that you think of to ask I'll try to help again. I was surprised that there is so little info available and what there is is years old, it's just another example of you have to ask...and ask...and ask here to get anywhere!

Makes me smile because I worked as secretary to a criminal solicitor in the UK - 95% of his "clients" were on legal aid. The solicitor kept a stock of pre-printed application forms, took a few basic details from his client and that was that. Form sent off, almost guaranteed to be granted. At the end of the court case solicitor sent his bill off to Legal Aid Office and cheque came back to him! Were that it was so easy here!

Regards

KIZI
Legal Aid Query 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Legal Questions & Issues