Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Cypriot Recipes & Music » dry souvlaki recipe
dry souvlaki recipe 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:04 am Reply with quote
bartoi
Pictures: 0

We recently brought hone from cyprus a george theodorou mix pack we got from one of the many gift shops. I decided to use the souvlaki mix for some chicken on the bbq after some rare sunny weather here in glasgow. I have used nearly all the mix & im hoping someone can give me pointers on how to make my own mix. Thanks
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

Mix together lemon juice, olive oil, oregano & garlic.

Add meat and/or chicken. Put in fridge for an hour or two.

Stick onto soaked wooden skewers.

Grill, turning frequently.

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote
orys

i thought by "dry" you meant not marinated. Do you want to make the standard Cypriot souvlaki? Go to your butcher and tell him to give you some souvlaki meat and ask him to cut it in cubes.
That's it! you just need to put it on a stainless steel skewer and then onto the grill. Real grill. The ones they sell in kiosks for about 40-50 euro that you use carcoal. Keep turning them frequently and add salt. thick salt. You can also add a slice of green/ red pepper and onion between each meat cube but that will give a different taste.[/list]
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
bromerzz

Taking this one stage further and suitable for the Scots environment....You could always make up some Mars Bar souvlaki.
Cube up Mars Bars dip into a packet of made up Aunt Bessies Yorkshire Pudding mix. Skewer onto some ole reefer bar and grill away.
Sorry...I'll.... er get me Mackintosh........ Laughing

Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Bigade
Pictures: 4

bromerzz wrote:
Taking this one stage further and suitable for the Scots environment....You could always make up some Mars Bar souvlaki.
Cube up Mars Bars dip into a packet of made up Aunt Bessies Yorkshire Pudding mix. Skewer onto some ole reefer bar and grill away.
Sorry...I'll.... er get me Mackintosh........ Laughing

mate, that actually sounds pretty good to me .....

off to the sweet shop ......... Very Happy
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail ICQ Number Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #6   PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:01 am Reply with quote
AskCy
Pictures: 18

dry spices for souvlaki are likely to be salt, oregano, paprika, garlic granules, onions granules and maybe something like citric acid powder.

Having not seen the mix you had, I'm only guessing.. Smile

Steve

Post: #7   PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:14 am Reply with quote
bartoi

thanks for the all the suggestions, finally experimented & made the same one out of, cinnamon, mint, paprika, crushed coriander seeds & a small touch of cayene chilli pepper, tastes just like the one i bought. make the mix & you can add lemon juice, olive oil salt & pepper to make a marinade

thanks all for the help Wink

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
bartoi

A few years on i still make this, the wife loves it, the suns finally came out again so its on the bbq Smile

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

dry souvlaki recipe 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Cypriot Recipes & Music