Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » F.A.Q. » How to get rid of Mice
How to get rid of Mice 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:57 am Reply with quote
LynSab
Pictures: 1

Our tenants in Cyprus appear to have mice, as we never had problems when we lived there as we owned cats, so apart from remnants on the veranda we never had live ones.

But they've used poison many times and blocked off where they believe the mice were getting in from the pool shed into the bedroom...but it's still a problem...droppings around the house...

As we are too far away to deal with it ourselves, we could do with some advice to pass on....as we've always owned cats we've never had mice ...so not sure how to deal with it properly....

The property is in a field basically...
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:23 am Reply with quote
bubblechris
Pictures: 0

Tell them to take in a stray cat, or go to one of the sancturies Very Happy
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
LynSab
Pictures: 1

bubblechris wrote:
Tell them to take in a stray cat, or go to one of the sancturies Very Happy

They have a cat hating dog.... Wink

Post: #4   PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Kayzie-mou

I suggest your tenants get a "little nipper" type trap and bait it (being careful not to catch their fingers Laughing ) with a chunk of chocolate or a dollop of peanut butter, and leave it where they (and the dog) won't step on it. Once they start catching mice, there is a point at which the head of the mouse family decides it's not safe to stay, and the survivors move out.

We used to live in a house surrounded by fields and we had a hunting cat - and mice. She'd catch them and bring them inside still alive, and then watch while they scrambled over the kitchen kickboards and under the cupboards. From there, they could follow the central heating pipe run around the rest of the house and pop up in any room, including on one scream-laden occasion, in the guest bathroom at the feet of a mouse-phobic guest Embarassed . We had to peel up the floor coverings and seal off the small areas around the radiator pipes, unfortunately sealing a couple of mice inside, as we discovered some years later! Shocked Laughing

Post: #5   PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
baileyboy

Block every possible hole where the mice get in with steel wool. Mice can flatten their heads to get through the smallest of holes. They will not chew through steel wool.
Buy some sticky patches similar to the yellow pads you see attached to flowers. They get stuck on the pads ready for disposal.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #6   PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Aikhme

A few years ago, when there was a bit of a plague where I was working for a while, we were building some very interesting traps. There were many variations.

One was a bucket filled with water, and a wire across the top with a swiveling tin can which was smothered in cheese, butter and peanut paste.

The mice will go up a ramp, jump onto the can and thin lose their feet and fall in the water and drown.

In the morning, there would be dozens of them in the bucket.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Tangutica
Pictures: 26

I moved into a property that had been unoccupied for at least 3 years. Gawd knows what the mice lived on (apart from some old newspapers I found in a cupboard) I caught a couple with traps (very distressing for me). I own a minpin dog (supposed to be renowned ratcatchers - stupid bint - she just looked 'impressed' by the mice antics! Thought she'd found some new 'friends')

Bane of my life I forked out for electronic mice repellants and all sorts .... until I took on a CAT (always said I'd never 'own' a cat in Cyprus as you have them anyway - all around you - worked in the cat sanctuary for years)

NOTHING gets past my little cat! Not cockroaches, spiders, moths, nothing. She doesn't EAT the mice - but she kills them instantly. Unfortunately she does kill birds as well now and then. But hey ho. That's life. I'm not that delighted with her 'offerings' to me but it is better than trying to relax and watch TV and see the meeces doing their acrobatics back and forth. They don't wait until you've gone to bed! Full of bravado!

Everything I bought and tried was just a waste of money and time until I got a proper huntress CAT!

I can quite understand how your tenants might be distressed by this. I had them under sofas, in storage spaces under beds, just about everywhere you could think of. In a house with NO food in it at all. Apparently mice will even eat soap or anything.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Tangutica
Pictures: 26

Just reading the rest of the posts. I took the kickplates off all the kitchen units to lay traps down. STILL had the mice. And if they are little field mice they just keep coming! I am surrounded by fields too.

Unfortunately I hate to think of any animal dying slowly in agony. The couple I caught myself with traps - I sat up all night and immediately made sure they were dead (and then needed a stiff drink).

Unless you've got totally almost WHITE tiled floor and no rugs (as I have) and white marble worktops - the tiny rice grain sized droppings are easy to miss. Hell I even found them INSIDE my microwave oven!

No substitute for a 'mouser' cat. The other 'dead offerings' she brings me are a small price to pay to be rid of the mice.

(I also had lizards lol! But that's another story - I LIKE lizards lol)

Now, if you want to talk about really scary home invaders - how about huge tarantulas? I was very glad my cat was nowhere near the bathroom when I came across one of those! No way did I want her playing with that or bringing it to me - it was big as the palm of my hand! Give me mice over hairy legged muscular looking tarantulas ANY DAY!

Apologies to all those who'd never kill a living creature and will try to safely remove the 'spider' but I've never been so scared in my life as I was when I was sat on the loo and saw this about 12 inches away from my bare feet!

This is a photo of it when dead with legs curled under, it looked much bigger when alive.

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Yes, give me a cute little mousey any day over one of these!

So, Lynsab, just tell your tenants they are lucky they haven't got TARANTULAS in the property lol!

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

How to get rid of Mice 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » F.A.Q.