Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines » Health Care Free or not Free?
Health Care Free or not Free? 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:17 am Reply with quote
kevton
Pictures: 0

Please can anyone clear up once and for all if medical care is free in cyprus or not if you are under pension age living here all the year and earn under 9000 per year. I have just had to have a pacemaker fitted and from what I can gather from my partner is that England faxed through to Paralimni hospital an 'emergency' european health card to cover costs, but which ran only from the 18th to the 30th of June. I have since rung England and they tell me now that that card cannot be renued and if It was it only covers visitors. I am totaly confused over the whole thing. If health care is free, what exactly do I need to claim it, ie. any E forms, identity cards, electoral roll No.s etc???????

Thanks to anyone who can maby able to help me, and indeed others. By the way Paralimni Hospital was superb!
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:50 am Reply with quote
Bobbeer
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 8

kevton,

I don't think healthcare is free to people under pensionable age in Cyprus who are residents, unless you qualified for free healthcare in the UK and have the appropriate certification from the NHS.

Free healthcare is available to tourists on production of a European Health Insurance Card, which can be obtained for free from the NHS.

health care 
Post: #3   PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:59 am Reply with quote
b.wilson

Myhusband had the misfortune to be in Larnaca hospital for a week, ok now. The dr asked if he had a E111 and if he was registered, which we have, and told us it was free, they will charge th U.K. for his treatment. Laughing

Post: #4   PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Bobbeer
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 8

I'm not an expert, but the UK may refuse to pay up because you are not technically UK residents anymore.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:27 pm Reply with quote
michele

yes, i believe that it is not allowed/illegal to claim from uk for hospital charges if you are no longer uk resident, but there are obviously rules, ie no. of days in tax year spent away that make you non resident or not
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
E106/E121 
Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:57 am Reply with quote
Chris Mooney

If you are of pensionable age you apply for an E121 before you leave the UK, i suppose it can be done retrospectively from over here. This form entitles you to the equivilent of free NHS treatment. you will get free over here what a cypriot would get free.
If you are not of pensionable age, and have paid NI contributions in the UK you apply for the other form an E106. If you have made sufficient NI contributions they will give you the equivilent of NHS cover for up to, i think, 27 months. You must register at your local hospital, the old hospital in Larnaca, produce these forms, fill in your application. This will be sent off to Nicosia to be certified. You can receive treatment while you wait for Nicosia.
If you have not made sufficient NI contributions you must have private medical insurance. Immigration wont issue an ARC (Alien Registration Card) without some proof of medical cover.
If you reside in Cyprus for more than 183 days in a year this will be your place of normal residence, you are therefore no longer a tourist and the EHIC (fromerly E111) is not valid.
Hope all this helps
Chris

Post: #7   PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
glovermum

I have just been in hospital and i am not a pensioner as myself and my husband work here in cyprus and earn less than cy9000 pounds a year we are entiled to free treatment your employer must pay your social security stamp here you can get the appropriate forms from registration office at paralimini general you must have your alien passport which you would need anyway if you work here in cyprus.the hospital was very good and i have had all my medication for free and i am still attending for more treatment cant fault them better than nhs in uk.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Health Care Free or not Free? 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines