Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Restaurants / Bars & Clubs in the Larnaca Area » Oroklini Fish & Chips Shop Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post: #21   PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:50 am Reply with quote
bill
Pictures: 3
Location: nice n sunny cold at night oroklini on the mossie breeding grounds

coming originally from the north of england i have eaten some really c**p fish n chips .

in the 60's -70's and 80's it was fresh wet fish in a nice batter with cut from potatoes chips then some how the frozen era took over and the fish took on a new shape---- square cut slabs of fish

moving to london in the 90's i was eating fresh fish and real chips again--- since moving to larnaca i have only enjoyed the fish from gregory's -- ive tried plenty of other places but they haven't come close

the reason I tried the Oroklini chippy was first Gregory's is closed for their usual winter break and second out of curiosity to see what the fish n chips were like at the new place .

the only benefit of the new place is that you get your food straight away -- Gregory's you have to wait for it to be cooked which means gregory's is always piping hot and fresh cooked .
wen i arrived home my takeaway from the new place was almost cold( a 2 min drive)
ok Dave perhaps im a bit to fussy but thats not a bad thing as food vendors would soon understand that they have to give good food at a reasonable price
ok some peeps don't like frozen chips personally as long as they are cooked properly and taste ok im not so worried
but frozen fish is not a option for me
gregorys is not in the most ideal location .
in summer sitting outside the traffic fumes and dust can be a problem but in winter sitting inside its perfect .

I have absolutely no connection with gregory's except for being a regular satisfied customer .
i have taken friends to gregorys and all have commented the food was very good a few said it was the best they have had for many years
so obviously its not just me lol

Bill

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Re: OROKLINI FISH & CHIPS SHOP 
Post: #22   PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:54 am Reply with quote
bill

davegodfrey wrote:
bill wrote:
sandyoap wrote:
no question that gregory's on the dhekelia road is now best quality and value for money in our own experience. lambros which was always reliably excellent and number one on most people's list is totally inconsistent now and the others all seem to be pretty mediocre. retired friends who ran a very very successful fish and chip shop for over 20 years will only ever use gregory's in the larnaca area now (they're not related to anyone there, or friends of the owners so we really beleve their assesment is impartial) and we've got no friend, family or business contact with any of the other chippies being discussed on here.

thank you sandy-- i was really beginning to think it was me lol

bill

Well Bill
looks like I need to go back to Gregory's and give it another try.
Perhaps I am to EASILY PLEASED !! Very Happy Very Happy

yes in fact i'll take u wen it opens in the new year -- my treat
message me ur mobile after christmas and we can arrange a day to go

Post: #23   PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:49 pm Reply with quote
davegodfrey
Pictures: 0

[quote="bill"][quote="davegodfrey"]
bill wrote:
sandyoap wrote:
no question that gregory's on the dhekelia road is now best quality and value for money in our own experience. lambros which was always reliably excellent and number one on most people's list is totally inconsistent now and the others all seem to be pretty mediocre. retired friends who ran a very very successful fish and chip shop for over 20 years will only ever use gregory's in the larnaca area now (they're not related to anyone there, or friends of the owners so we really beleve their assesment is impartial) and we've got no friend, family or business contact with any of the other chippies being discussed on here.

thank you sandy-- i was really beginning to think it was me lol

bill[/quot

Well Bill
looks like I need to go back to Gregory's and give it another try.
Perhaps I am to EASILY PLEASED !! Very Happy Very Happy

yes in fact i'll take u wen it opens in the new year -- my treat
message me ur mobile after christmas and we can arrange a day to

Thanks Bill,
We will definitely arrange something for after Christmas. Will be in touch and have a great Christmas.

Post: #24   PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
bill

thanks David and family -- u have a good xmas too

bill

Post: #25   PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:37 am Reply with quote
Nelly1

I've been to fish chick island twice now, as have many friends and they all really enjoyed the food. The fish was not greasy at all and the real chips were great tasting. Curry sauce just like in the UK. At 6.80 for fish and chips I think it's very reasonable and the staff are friendly. I have no connection but I live in the village and am very happy to have a new eating place, and wish them well. I also think you should always try places for yourself and form your own opinion.

Post: #26   PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:44 pm Reply with quote
wellerman

i tried it when it first opened but wasn't too impressed with the batter on the fish, very thick and crunchy, not to my liking, tried it again yesterday and it was lovely, he has changed the recipe for the batter.
Have had some very good reports from friends about the meat and fish platters, off on me jollies, but will be having a sit down meal in there when we return.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #27   PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:26 am Reply with quote
bill

well looks like i had my takeaway on the wrong day

to be fair i'll try it again

but the night i tried it i wasn't impreesed with the fish -- far to greasy and reminded me of the frozen fish they used up norf in the uk

oh i'll try their curry sauce .
when i first went to live in London i popped in a chinese run chippy and ordered rice chips and curry sauce the reaction was priceless and needless to say even getting their young daugter out of bed to translate I still didn't get my food -- went two shops down the street and bought a horrible greasy doner kebab with the hottest sauce u can imagine ( covers the taste of the meat) not happy that night

bill

Post: #28   PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:26 pm Reply with quote
davegodfrey

bill wrote:
well looks like i had my takeaway on the wrong day

to be fair i'll try it again

but the night i tried it i wasn't impreesed with the fish -- far to greasy and reminded me of the frozen fish they used up norf in the uk

oh i'll try their curry sauce .
when i first went to live in London i popped in a chinese run chippy and ordered rice chips and curry sauce the reaction was priceless and needless to say even getting their young daugter out of bed to translate I still didn't get my food -- went two shops down the street and bought a horrible greasy doner kebab with the hottest sauce u can imagine ( covers the taste of the meat) not happy that night
bill

Try their Whole Chickens, we think they are the best in the village. Very Happy

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #29   PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:11 pm Reply with quote
bromerzz

I've pulled in off the motorway a couple of times and had a take away. In my opinion its better quality and tastier then good old Lambros.
Pleasant place to sit and eat as well.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #30   PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
bill

has anybody tried the chippy opposite the Princess hotel

ive only just noticed its there lol

Bill

Post: #31   PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
wellerman

i think theirs are tastier than the village Bill, about same price
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Re: Orokolini fish& chip shop 
Post: #32   PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:21 pm Reply with quote
lethargicinlarnaca

bill wrote:
lliz wrote:
We've been twice now to "Sea Bar" fish& chips & really enjoyed the meal each time,the surroundings are very clean and attractive,they also do takeaway. 120 Faneromeni Ave Larnaca tel 99800600
Lliz

ive been there for a takeaway snack of chips rice and curry sauce which was nice but not tried their fish n chips lol

Next to the Hellenic Bank in a smart new building on Faneromeni Avenue.

Sit down (Eat In) or take away, IMHO and more importantly that of my better half and her ever increasing number of relatives consistently tastier Fish & Chips than Lambros and no trawl up the motorway if you are closer to Larnaca than Dhekelia. Excellent food and service as well as being bright and clean.

Two Pages of Fish & Chips, thankfully in a world gone mad we've got our priorities right Rolling Eyes

Post: #33   PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:40 pm Reply with quote
ridinglor

bill wrote:
has anybody tried the chippy opposite the Princess hotel

ive only just noticed its there lol

Bill

We have had a few takeaways from here and they are very good. The fish and chips are lovely and the burgers are handmade from fresh. Definitately worth trying.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #34   PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:54 am Reply with quote
Jascat

We got two pie & chips the other day. It was good. Only bad point was they have got very stingy with the amount of chips given. Only about half the amount than previously.

Post: #35   PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:08 am Reply with quote
Bobbeer
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 8

Jascat wrote:
We got two pie & chips the other day. It was good. Only bad point was they have got very stingy with the amount of chips given. Only about half the amount than previously.

We went to FishChickIsland the other day and could not eat all of the chips on the plate...

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #36   PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Jascat

Ours was a carry out. I suppose it depends who serves you.

Post: #37   PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:30 pm Reply with quote
davegodfrey

Jascat wrote:
Ours was a carry out. I suppose it depends who serves you.

Absolutely! If you think it's a very small portion of chips. FOR GOODNESS SAKE SAY SOMETHING !!!!!!!! THAT WILL PROBABLY RESULT IN YOU GETTING MORE CHIPS. Very Happy

Post: #38   PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:19 am Reply with quote
bill

ust to update on the oroklini chippy i tried it a couple of nights ago and i must say i was impressed
the reason i went there was that sadly the owner of Gregorys has been terminally ill and recently died
i dont kno if Gregorys has been sold or as some peeps told me rented out but the quality of the fish was terrible the chips im sure were fresh cut and were so good but sadly let down by the fish -
hence trying the oroklini chippy and im happy to say i'll be going back there again -- enjoyed my meal --
gregorys with the new peeps running it is definitely off my dining list now ---
but ive still yet to enjoy a meal at Lambros -- to be honest after three visits and not enjoy at all
im reluctant to go again
so although i posted negative comments about oroklini chippy it gets a thumbs up from me now
bill

Post: #39   PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:23 am Reply with quote
bill

just to update on the oroklini chippy i tried it again a couple of nights ago and i must say i was impressed
the reason i went there was that sadly the owner of Gregorys has been terminally ill and recently died
i dont kno if Gregorys has been sold or as some peeps told me rented out but the quality of the fish was terrible the chips im sure were fresh cut and were so good but sadly let down by the fish -
hence trying the oroklini chippy and im happy to say i'll be going back there again -- enjoyed my meal --
gregorys with the new peeps running it is definitely off my dining list now ---
but ive still yet to enjoy a meal at Lambros -- to be honest after three visits and not enjoy at all
im reluctant to go again
i still dont believe all the hype surrounding Lambros its almost a status cult following
so although i posted negative comments about oroklini chippy it gets a thumbs up from me and i will be going there again and if i can find anyone to go with me i might try a sit down lol

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Restaurants / Bars & Clubs in the Larnaca Area