Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Pets & Animal Welfare In Cyprus » Bringing our dog
Bringing our dog 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:20 pm Reply with quote
sandj
Pictures: 0

Hi All,
We will be moving across permanantly next year(2008). We have been told that Cypriots are not dog lovers. Any truth in this.
sandj
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:35 am Reply with quote
LynSab
Pictures: 1

Sad Hi Sandj

I have not been living here that long BUT would say generally NO!

I am sure others will follow with some sad stories to back this up, and of course I have seen many dogs in an appalling state myself wandering around, tried to catch a couple but they ran away. Caught a beautiful German Shephard outside one day but he had just ran off and we were able to contact his owners.

But have also heard about wonderful dog rescue centres here, not just run by expats, many run by locals who do amazing work virtually run on handouts by others. And other district run shelters not good at all.

But bringing your own dog well looked after is a different thing as vets here are on the whole very good, and there are many good kennels now to keep your dog safe if you need to go away. As your dog will be vaccinated etc and microchipped before he/she arrives and your abode will be escape proof, then well loved and looked after animals seem to love it here!

I am in rented accommodation for a short time before I move inland and am surrounded by lovely people all with fab dogs and one beautiful rescued pup! One of these is a spaniel brought here from the UK loves life you can see! the rest are rescued and seem very happy that they were! All responsible owners THAT is the key.

I hope when I move to persuade my better half to get one of these lovely dogs that need a home! Its sad that so many do, BUT going back to your question is the fact that there are so many animal shelters in the UK with rescued dogs any different than here? We proclaim we are animal lovers there, here they don,t so much.

Lyn
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote
sandj

Hi Lyn,
Thanks for the info. I'm sure our pooch will be happy when we bring him over. Thankfully he is short haired so will not suffer too much in the heat.
Bye,
Sandy and Jean
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:57 pm Reply with quote
chrisg

Hi,

We brought our three dogs over from Uk last year and have rescued two more since being here!

In general no the Cypriots are not dog lovers and some have been known to put poison down on purpose to kill them. Some have even been known to put poison laced meat over the fence to a neighbours dog as they don't like them!

You will see from many posts on this forum and others of all the problems and horrific stories that people can tell you.

All I can say is just keep your wits about you and pick where you re going to live carefully so your dog will be safe.

On a positive note our lot are having a wonderful life and even our long haired daschund doesn't seem to mind the heat too much - they learn to take cover when it gets too hot.

A word of warning though, if you are a dog lover, you won't just have one for long as there are soooo many looking for homes!

Good luck in your move!

Chris

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:00 pm Reply with quote
beersmaggie

I am not going to make this a long posting but will address the most distressing factor here on the island and that is the poisening of pets.
As has been said, even if you have a good perimeter to your property it doesnt stop this awful practice.
If your dogs are barkers then teach them not to be, clear up after your dogs wherever you go and keep them away from the locals.
They dont like dogs here because they say they have 'no soul', its a bit of a religous thing as well as being scared of dogs.
Lastly, go to your vet, weigh your dog or cat and ask the vet for enough ATROPINE SULPHATE to dose them in case they get poisened. This must be injected straight away, it is not an antedote, but will protect the heart while you rush them to the vet for treatment. Dont be afraid or skeamish to inject them its easy, just inject into the muscle of a back leg.
I just hope that you never have to do this, but be prepared.
Maggie Larnaca

Thanks 
Post: #6   PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:48 pm Reply with quote
sandj

Hello,
Thanks for all the info. It's now been raining for two dats continuously. I wonder why we want to move to Cyprus.lol
s and j
Bringing our dog 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Pets & Animal Welfare In Cyprus