Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Pets & Animal Welfare In Cyprus » DOG ADVICE NEEDED - Vets, Registration, Kennels, etc
DOG ADVICE NEEDED - Vets, Registration, Kennels, etc 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:32 am Reply with quote
amlek
Pictures: 0

Hi,
We've just taken on a beautiful Mastiff X from a shelter where he was on 'death row'. He's a big, handsome softy, but needs a firm hand & some basic training. We would very much appreciate advice from other local dog owners as we are relative newbies to Larnaca:

Can anyone recommend a vet in Larnaca to get him vaccinated, chipped, castrated Shocked , etc?

Can anyone please explain the procedure for getting him registered/licensed?

As he obviously hasn’t had a lot of contact with other dogs in his previous life, where is a good place to walk him where we can get him socialized with other dogs (with responsible owners who have their dogs under control). His size makes him appear a bit daunting so we’ve found that most people drag their dogs in the opposite direction when they see us coming! He's not shown any aggressive tendencies, he’s just a bit over keen and boisterous! We are experienced ‘bull breed’ owners so realize the importance of this aspect of his training.

Despite the fact that we had planned on adopting a dog soon, we were ideally going to wait until after our trip back to the UK in late May/early June. But as it was a case of taking him now or him being destroyed, the choice was a no-brainer. Therefore, unfortunately we will have to put him into kennels while we’re away. Again, we’d very much appreciate recommendations in this area.

Many, many thanks for any advice people are able to offer.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:11 pm Reply with quote
sunnysuzie
Pictures: 6

Hi Amlek,

I live in Oroklini, but use a vet off Dhekalia Road, up from the Port roundabout, they're called Zopiros, 8 Medouses Street, Larnaca, 6059 24-668833, 2 really nice guys Yiannis and Michael. I paid close to £50.00 for castration of a medium sized pooch, it will cost you £25 for the microchip, you then have to go to the local district veterinary office to register the chip for a fee of £5.00, this office is a bit further back from the traffic lights in Larnaca where you turn left for the big Orphanides, on the opposite side of the road.

For you license you have to go to your local council offices, not sure where they are for Larnaca.

There is a new state of the art kennels opened in Aradippou, I don't have the details to hand as I've lent them to someone, but have heard excellent reports about them, I'm sure other members may know, maybe Maggie as she has lots of knowledge of these things.

As for letting off the lead in your area, I can't help I'm afraid, I always carry a cheese triangle, and touch wood, it has never failed to get my not so obedient dog back when something else grabs his attention! I am responsible!, but he has a mind of his own, if I see people coming I get him back and put him on the lead, sometimes bribing him with the cheese.

Hope this is of some help to you, good luck and congratulations on rescuing the poor thing.

Sue
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:17 pm Reply with quote
beersmaggie

Thanks for the vote of confidence Sue .....lol
The new kennels at Aradippou is called Pet Stop, they have room for 26 dogs and 18 cats, so early booking is on the cards I should have thought. I havent been there myself, but I am going next weekend to look at the set up. I must admit to having tried twice to find it but no luck, so I am going with friends that are boarding their cat there, so watch this space, report following.
As to where to walk your dog, thats a difficult one. As dogs are not readily accepted anywhere much here I tend to walk mine on the beach, shoosh, up by the de-salination plant. You get people walking their dogs there, also behind the salt lake at Meneou.
As for all the other stuff you asked about, I think Sue covered that all, so good luck, might see you at the beach Wink .......Maggie Larnaca

Post: #4   PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:26 am Reply with quote
william422

Hello Maggie,I'm a friend of Sue,
I would like to ask you if you have the address or phone number of the new kennels in Aradippou.
Thanking you. Bill (new member)

Post: #5   PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:06 pm Reply with quote
beersmaggie

Hi Bill, yes the new Kennels is Pet Stop at Arradipou, phone Sharon on
99 522296. I went to look at the kennels a couple of weeks ago and was much impressed, so much so that I booked my Goldie in for Christmas. The charges range from small, medium and large, £5, £6 and £7 per day.
As to the address I can direct you.
If you are coming from Larnaca go to the motorway and turn right at the roundabout towards Ayia Napa etc, take the first turn off left for Arradipou when you come off the roundabout, take an immediate right and follow this road past the cow sheds etc, it runs parallell with the motorway, take the 2nd turning left and you will see the kennels in front of you.
But dont say to the owner Sharon that you think she should put a notice up directing you to the kennels cos her answer will be, 'we did that but we had too many strays dumped on us' she doesnt have room for them sadly.
I take my Goldie to Zikkos Clinic near Orphanides and opposite a Co-op bank. The phone number is 24 668255. The vet there, Goerge, is excellant and they have a pet grooming service as well. My Goldie went today and had a Labrador make over......lol. Shes the only Golden Retriever that now looks like a Lab with a fluffy tail, awww bless. Shame cos she won 2nd best pedigree dog at the BFAWS dog show a couple of weeks ago, she looks naked poor thing. Still, she will feel better when the real heat of the summer gets going.........Maggie Larnaca

Post: #6   PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:29 pm Reply with quote
william422

Thanks for the advice Maggie.I have booked my dog(Ricky) in for a months holiday,i will post my opinion of the kennels upon my return,but i'm sure it will be a favourable report.
Thanks again.Bill
DOG ADVICE NEEDED - Vets, Registration, Kennels, etc 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Pets & Animal Welfare In Cyprus