Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools » public or private school
public or private school 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote
vix111
Pictures: 0

Hi, i would like to hear from anyone who has any details, pros & cons or recomendations for using either public schools or private schools.
Greek speaking children & in the paralimni area.
many thanks
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Re: public or private school 
Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:58 am Reply with quote
Byker
Membership Closed
Pictures: 4

vix111 wrote:
Hi, i would like to hear from anyone who has any details, pros & cons or recomendations for using either public schools or private schools.
Greek speaking children & in the paralimni area.
many thanks

Although I was told by a respected educationalist that private schools were a wasre of money for under 11s I think it's far too complex and too important for answers based on the info you'very given.

How old are the children?
How well do they speak Greek?
What's their native language?
How well do they speak other languages?
How long are you/they planning to stay here for?

There are probably even more things to be considered if you want relevant suggestions....
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
vix111

Hi byker,
just wanted some feedback from any mums (or dads) that have been through the schooling with their children.

so any information on junior & secondary schools please.

But to answer your questions....
children are 5 & 9,
both speak greek & english well (they was born here)
Native language is English

Many thanks
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
schools 
Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:27 am Reply with quote
lennie1l

My son is native English and is fluent Greek speaking as he has been here since nearly two years old now eight. He picked up the Greek very quickly but is behind with his English as he was not taught enough obviously being in a Cypriot school. I have now enrolled him at Xenion private primary school in Paralimni as this is the first opportunity to do so here in this region , so now he is learning reading and writing both languages and i am very pleased with the way the school is being run. Depending on what you want for your childrens education and your circumstances i would recommend this is the best way forward for their future. This is only my opinion with no prejudice.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
vix111

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply lennie1l,

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:35 am Reply with quote
Dania
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

We came here when my son was a year old and he is fluent in both Greek and English. He goes to the 'A' Greek primary school in Paralimni but we pay for private English lessons at Xenion so that his reading/writing and grammar keep pace.

I have to say I am really pleased with the primary education but will probably send him to Xenion for highschool in 3 years time.
public or private school 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools