Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Exchange Money & Rates » sending sterling to Cyprus. Goto page 1, 2  Next
sending sterling to Cyprus. 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote
amarjitj
Pictures: 0

Just been told my bank charges 25 to send sterling to an account in Cyprus which is also a sterling account. Any suggestions on any other cheaper alternative ?[/list]
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:09 am Reply with quote
Dave B

Any suggestions - yes

Set up an account with Currency Fair. You can transfer funds to them free by the Bacs faster banking system.

You do have to change from sterling to euro but the rates are very good. This morning over 1.27
The cost to transfer to a Cyprus bank is just 3 for any amount. The transfer takes 2 days max.

A very reliable and fully regulated company based in Ireland. All funds are ring fenced in Bank of America in London.

There is quite a lot about them on the Paphos forum.

Post: #3   PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:15 am Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

Dave B wrote:
Any suggestions - yes

Set up an account with Currency Fair. You can transfer funds to them free by the Bacs faster banking system.

You do have to change from sterling to euro but the rates are very good. This morning over 1.27
The cost to transfer to a Cyprus bank is just 3 for any amount. The transfer takes 2 days max.

A very reliable and fully regulated company based in Ireland. All funds are ring fenced in Bank of America in London.

There is quite a lot about them on the Paphos forum.

Seconded. Simple, secure and usually same day transfer.No charges by BOC for receiving the transfer. They'll take anything they can get their hands on ! Laughing
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:27 am Reply with quote
dojoman
Membership Closed

But the OP wants to transfer sterling to sterling!!!
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #5   PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:33 am Reply with quote
Dave B

dojoman wrote:

He was asking for a suggestion - he got one. Has dogoman got a suggestion? Lets hear it?

Should have read dojoman. The transposing of a j for g wad not intended to cause offence
Dabe B Laughing

Last edited by Dave B on Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post: #6   PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
journo
Pictures: 17

amarjitj wrote:
Just been told my bank charges 25 to send sterling to an account in Cyprus which is also a sterling account. Any suggestions on any other cheaper alternative ?[/list]

Bring Sterling with you, in cash, on each and any visit.

Each traveller can bring up to the equivalent of 10,000 per entry without declaring it.

However whatever you declare when you bring it in is exempt from any restrictions if you want to take it out again.

To pay it into your Sterling account here, you would also need to 'prove' the Sterling was from 'outside', so make sure you can show the 'data/paper' chain for it, and declare it on arrival here Smile

Post: #7   PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quote
dojoman
Membership Closed

Dave B wrote:
dojoman wrote:

He was asking for a suggestion - he got one. Has dogoman got a suggestion? Lets hear it?

Why the insult? did I insult you? Very mature Rolling Eyes I was merely pointing out that the OP specifically asked for a transfer between a sterling to sterling account, this question had not been answered unless CF actually do this. Now anyone else reading the thread would realise that the OP is still looking for an answer or is that a bad thing in your eyes, I wasn`t being contentious but just pointing out what the OP was looking for. As for name calling, I will leave that in your more than capable hands.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at

Slightly off topic, but just did a transfer via the excellent Currency Fair and whilst their fee is as stated only 3 Euros, my bank (Alpha) charged me 4 Euros on receiving the money! Shocked

I'm somewhat surprised that a Bank (even a Cypriot one) should actually make a charge for accepting a deposit!! Confused

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
dojoman
Membership Closed

Woodrow Why?at wrote:
Slightly off topic, but just did a transfer via the excellent Currency Fair and whilst their fee is as stated only 3 Euros, my bank (Alpha) charged me 4 Euros on receiving the money! Shocked

I'm somewhat surprised that a Bank (even a Cypriot one) should actually make a charge for accepting a deposit!! Confused

Laiki used to charge 50 cents but even that was dropped when BOC took over, cannot work out how a bank can charge for receiving a deposit, especially in this day and age where everything is electronic.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

Woodrow Why?at wrote:

I think it would be the UK bank making a charge for sending it.

Post: #11   PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
SensibleBob

getting back to the original question why bother with a sterling account here. Often they charge for accepting deposits and then you get charged again for converting it to euros.

On the matter of paying to transfer euros to a euro account SHOUT SHOUT and again. This is totally against banking etiquette.Laiki tried this several times and I made it quite clear I would stand and argue all day...and always got it refunded. If however you make the transfer from your UK bank make sure you get the charges there the right way round. Most give a choice of charges remitter or charges receiver. Bank of Cyprus do seemto have dropped this nasty habit but even with Currency Fair they often wait tillnext day to credit account.Probably something to do with receiving bank/agent as not sure how CF route their payments.Lst month their transfers were free!

Post: #12   PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:43 pm Reply with quote
amarjitj

thanks for the replies but Its going into a sterling account every month to pay a mortgage.

Post: #13   PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:15 am Reply with quote
Dave B

dojoman wrote:

Why the insult? did I insult you? Very mature Rolling Eyes

What insult? It was a question.

Now "Very mature Rolling Eyes" that is an implied insult, but I can rise above it. Cool

Post: #14   PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:11 am Reply with quote
Woodrow Why?at

Kwacka wrote:
Woodrow Why?at wrote:

I think it would be the UK bank making a charge for sending it.

Negative! Alpha confirmed it was their charge!

Post: #15   PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:41 am Reply with quote
dojoman
Membership Closed

Dave B wrote:
dojoman wrote:

Why the insult? did I insult you? Very mature Rolling Eyes

What insult? It was a question.

Now "Very mature Rolling Eyes" that is an implied insult, but I can rise above it. Cool

You called me dogoman, if that was not intentional I apologise Embarassed but I thought you was trying to be "funny"

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:28 am Reply with quote
Dave B

dojoman wrote:

You called me dogoman, if that was not intentional I apologise Embarassed but I thought you was trying to be "funny"

Ahh I see Shocked I regret that was a typo and not intended to be derogatory to you, or any one at the dojo

(A dojo (道場 dōjō?) is a Japanese term which literally means "place of the way". Initially, dōjōs were adjunct to temples. The term can refer to a formal training place for any of the Japanese do arts[which?] but typically it is considered the formal gathering place for students of any Japanese martial arts style such as karate, judo, or samurai,[1] to conduct training, examinations and other related encounters.)

Post: #17   PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:58 am Reply with quote
dojoman
Membership Closed

Dave B wrote:
dojoman wrote:

Ahh I see Shocked I regret that was a typo and not intended to be derogatory to you, or any one at the dojo

(A dojo (道場 dōjō?) is a Japanese term which literally means "place of the way". Initially, dōjōs were adjunct to temples. The term can refer to a formal training place for any of the Japanese do arts[which?] but typically it is considered the formal gathering place for students of any Japanese martial arts style such as karate, judo, or samurai,[1] to conduct training, examinations and other related encounters.)

Ok, no need for the explanation of dojo though as I had one for nearly 18 years, but it was Brazilian Ju jitsu and Krav Maga that was taught there in the end as the traditional arts are not much good on the street.

Post: #18   PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Dave B

dojoman wrote:

Ok, no need for the explanation of dojo

Well I thought someone might be interested - well more interested than my slight dyslexia between "j" and "g", but only marginally.

Now what about your suggestion for cheaper bank transfers in sterling?

Post: #19   PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
dojoman
Membership Closed

Dave B wrote:
dojoman wrote:

Ok, no need for the explanation of dojo

Well I thought someone might be interested - well more interested than my slight dyslexia between "j" and "g", but only marginally.

Now what about your suggestion for cheaper bank transfers in sterling?

As you seem so fond of Wikipedia, why don`t you come back with a suggestion for the original question, I don`t have one, if I did I would have posted before now, you seem so knowledgeable I would have thought you could help the OP out.

For anyone remotely interested Rolling Eyes
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Post: #20   PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:53 pm Reply with quote
lion

Move the money into a Currency Fair account, then next day move it from the Currency Fair account to the Cyprus bank account. Cost 3
SIMPLE
sending sterling to Cyprus. 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Exchange Money & Rates