Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Restaurants / Bars & Clubs in the Larnaca Area » tavernas in Oroklini area
tavernas in Oroklini area 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:59 pm Reply with quote
rapho
Pictures: 0

We tried Nick's place just off the Dekelia Rd nr Palm Beach hotel at end of string of shops just past supermarket. they offer traditional Greek cypriot cooking. rather a good meal save for that awful white sliced bread!
Also vg was VLACHOS tavern further up the road immediately after disused camping site, just into Pyla by sea past another string of shops including fishmongers, card sellers and 2nd hand book sellers - all run by Brits. Had an excellent meal at Vlachos. and it was most inexpensive.

Finally Pyla tavern was pretty good too sve for the snails which were tastless -nothing comapred with the Cretan prepared vriety whch are delicious.

There is an excellent fish tavern near immigration in Mackenzie area. Stefanos is the name. V pleasant chap. Fresh grilled fish but also does meat. V reasonable.

Last edited by rapho on Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:40 am Reply with quote
Charnwood Fox
Pictures: 34

Larnaca/Dhekelia Road (The Strip):

Marcos
Coral Inn
Lysia

If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
Qui docet discit.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Vlachos 
Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Howard Borrell

Vlachos is superb

Lovely food

Fantastic vaue

Free salad

Free fruit

Free brandy

Again always full with locals - the best sign

Howard
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Vlachos taverna 
Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:27 am Reply with quote
ramn

Quite agree - Vlachos is great. Just an unfortunate location by main road! But outstanding value and very tasty.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quote
chrysi

Hi!

I could recommend the Corfu tavern in Oroklini. Have been there 3 times and they try to keep in with the Cypriot feeling!! Music on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. Had my brother's 50th there and they let us decorate and were very accommodating! Excellent meze!

Chrysi
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:25 am Reply with quote
yhztolca
Pictures: 1

i've had mixed feelings about the Corfu taverna since moving her over a year ago.. they overcharged us BIGTIME for drinks one night. usually what they've always done is leave the bottles on table and at end of night count em up and you pay for what you've drank.. this time however we had a few too many bottles on the table so they were taking them away throughout the night.. I know for a fact that between myself and my partner we had maybe 7 bottles of carlesberg, and the other couple likewise.. but for some reason they wanted to charge us nearly 50 quid!! they said they had been keeping track of our drinks from behind the bar but obviously they must have been adding someone else's drinks on our bill.
in the end, we didn't pay the entire bill and have never been back again. Also, I know the whole greek plate throwing thing is nice for show.. but when you go home with a 2.5 inch cut across the top of your food from some drunken man stomping on you when dancing.. it's not a very fun night.. this happened to my friend, after that happened they complained to the owners and tourist bureau not sure if they still breaking plates after that.. don't know, cause i will never return.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:44 am Reply with quote
ramn

I believe they stoped the plate throwing in Greece a number of years ago!
Of late, they stopped a certain type of plastic (?) plates for reasons of hygiene.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:24 pm Reply with quote
chrysi

Hi OrokliniHills!

It's a shame that you had a bad experience in the Corfu, and although I recommend it, I have also heard other people complain about things there. Think they have improved recently from what I can gather and they haven't thrown a plate when I've been in there!! We have always had loads of free drinks after our meal there, so not sure why you experienced that problem.

Anyway, like everywhere, some places suit one person and not the next......! Unfortunately when you have a bad experience like that it does put you off!

Chrysi

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Vlachos 
Post: #9   PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:41 pm Reply with quote
planetgillrocks

Went in there for the first time with my brother (who was holidaying with us). Fantastic Meze for the adventurous foodies amongst us. I attempted the brains but failed miserably, much to the amusement of the staff and my brother. Embarassed .I didnt attempt the snails at all.

Will definitely go again and recommend it to anyone who want tradition over tourist catering.
tavernas in Oroklini area 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Restaurants / Bars & Clubs in the Larnaca Area