Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Your Developments » Leaking water pipe - how to fix?
Leaking water pipe - how to fix? 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote
davidmonk
Pictures: 0

Has anyone else had the problem of a water leak in the pipes from their water tanks to their apartment? I fear I might have a leak that is affecting the ceiling of the carport below my bathroom.

The pipes seem to disappear in concrete and emerge in the apartment. The stop valve is on the feed to the tank and the only way to isolate the supply to the apartment is to turn off the outlets at the tanks. I reckon I have to have a flow meter fitted to the outlet of the tanks to establish whether there is a leak in the system. If there is I do not look forward to replacing the pipe.

Is this to be expected in a property that is only 6 years old? If anyone has had this problem I am interested to know what was involved in getting it fixed.

David
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:03 pm Reply with quote
tonyattherovers
Pictures: 2

Hi David
One of the apartments in our block had a similar problem. It's bad news I'm afraid they had to drill through about 1 foot solid concrete to get to the pipe which was leaking.
Don't think there was any other way they could have done it.

Sorry

Tony Sad
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quote
soldeu

Is the bath sealed properly? As sometimes this can cause the problem to the car port below !

Post: #4   PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Tangutica
Pictures: 26

soldeu wrote:
Is the bath sealed properly? As sometimes this can cause the problem to the car port below !

Funny you should say that. When I moved into this new apartment the people below were complaining about water ingress. The sealant round the bath here needed renewing but you couldn't actually see the problem until you stood in the bath to use the shower. It sort of pulled it down a bit and opened up the gap so all the time the shower was running it was going down the side
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:18 am Reply with quote
bubblechris

David is the leak constant throughout the year or restricted to say just the rainy period? If it is could you try disconnecting the hot and leaving it disconnected for a period to see if the leak still occurs and then do the same for the cold. You would then know where the leak is coming from and be able to decide what to do. Another alternative to cracking open the concrete would be to run separate pipes or even hosing as either a permanent or temporary measure from the roof down to the apartment and see if that stops the leak.

Another thing to consider doing is taking baths instead of showers for a while and see if that stops the leak.

Whatever happens though it would be sensible to get a plumber in to investigate and advise you before you start smashing the place up.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:04 am Reply with quote
spurs
Membership Closed

Get a Plumber to investigate, and find the fault, it will be cheaper in the long run.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:07 am Reply with quote
davidmonk

Thanks for all your replies. Is there a plumber you can recommend in the Larnaca area?

Unfortunately, I am not present to carry out the tests I know I can do to find the possible causes and determine if the leak is in the pipes feeding the apartment. That is the nightmare I hope is not the case. I have to make enquiries to see if my insurance will cover this if that is what it is.

The complication I have is communicating with the tenant and doing the things to establish what is causing the water to be affecting the ceiling in the carport. My tenant leaves at the end of the month and my only method of communication is through my key-holder as she can converse with the tenant in Bulgarian or Greek.

It is frustrating whenever a problem occurs and cannot be present to see what is happening and have to leave it to others to help. For now, I am asking if there are plans to find out where the pipes are routed. It is most likely to be a problem with the bathroom plumbing and this is the first time anything like this has happened with my apartment. That is why I am wondering if this is a regular thing that happens with plumbing as it ages.

David

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
cansweet
Pictures: 1

Calling in a plumber is fine, but be prepared to be screwed by some of them. My letting agency saw fit to pay "someone" the princly fee of 65 to change a ballcock in the cistern. Grr. Mad

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Tangutica
Pictures: 26

cansweet wrote:
Calling in a plumber is fine, but be prepared to be screwed by some of them. My letting agency saw fit to pay "someone" the princly fee of 65 to change a ballcock in the cistern. Grr. Mad

Well if that included buying the new ballcock I don't think that's all that steep cansweet.

When I needed someone to fit a new S trap to a bathroom basin recently the only plumber I could find said he would charge 40 just to come out.

I got a pal to do it. The bit cost 20 and I gave him 20 for doing it. It wasn't a difficult job and if it hadn't been behind the china pillar thingie I would have done it myself but I couldn't get to it (without going into contortions!)
Update 
Post: #10   PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:08 pm Reply with quote
davidmonk

I had my leak fixed and yes it was expensive. Was I ripped off? Maybe. I reckon I paid VAT twice, once in the estimate and second when asking for a VAT receipt. Because this job was difficult to compare with how long another company would have took, it is difficult to say.

It has only been four weeks since the job was done. I went to Cyprus and finished off replacing the tiles myself, or more correctly, a tenant offered do it for half what the plumber wanted to charge, so I let the tenant do it.

I returned home a little over a week ago and I have grave news to report; the leak has returned. A tenant has sent me photographs of the leak's return. Despite the pressure testing afterwards to ensure no leaks in the system, I think the expansion caused by the hot water passing through the pipe has made another pinhole to break through or maybe a faulty solder joint( as a result of the repair) might be to blame. The problem has come back with a vengeance.

The plumber has to investigate. I know what it has involved first time the repair was done and I was a little lucky, but my luck seems to have run out now. I have to see how much (if any) this is going to cost me.

I am thinking about replacing the copper hot water pipe and routing a new pipe along the wall. I can do this for the pipe feeding the kitchen tap. I could bypass the pipe buried in concrete. If ever that pipe leaks, there would be too much floor to get up. A little more expense now might pay dividends in future. This might be the way to go with similar leaks should they occur in other apartments in the same development.

I will keep you posted. If this ever happens to your apartment, I might have some advice or some contacts to give you..

David

Post: #11   PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Dave B

Many if not most properties built in recent years are "pipe in pipe" - in theory you can pull them out and change. As water runs into the outer pipe finding the problem is less difficult. My advice is find a good English plumber from a recommendation. Cypriots are good at many trades however in my experience plumbing is not one of them.

Post: #12   PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:40 pm Reply with quote
spurs
Membership Closed

Dave B wrote:
Many if not most properties built in recent years are "pipe in pipe" - in theory you can pull them out and change. As water runs into the outer pipe finding the problem is less difficult. My advice is find a good English plumber from a recommendation. Cypriots are good at many trades however in my experience plumbing is not one of them.
What a Racist Post, are you for real, Have you never heard of English cowboy plumbers......Idiotic post Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Post: #13   PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:47 pm Reply with quote
davidmonk

Dave B wrote:

Does such a person exist in Cyprus? Any recommendations?

Post: #14   PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Stabilo
Membership Closed
Pictures: 1

spurs wrote:
Dave B wrote:
What a Racist Post, are you for real, Have you never heard of English cowboy plumbers......Idiotic post Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Perfectly sensible post Dave.

Post: #15   PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Dave B

spurs wrote:
[What a Racist Post, are you for real, Have you never heard of English cowboy plumbers......Idiotic post Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Spurs - no intention of being racist, love the Cypriots dearly, tis why I live here. They lay great tiles, cook great food etc etc. However in my experience all the Cypriot plumbers I have come across are qualified only by what their father taught them. I don't think it is racist to say the quality of local plumbing is poor. (I might also add that the quality of copper fittings sold in Cyprus is abysmal) This is the same as saying local driving is poor, if that is racist Spurs you certainly have quite a few posters to put to rights Very Happy

As to cowboy UK plumbers, I am sure there are plenty here so that is why I suggested you get a RECOMMENDATION.

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote
spurs
Membership Closed

Dave B wrote:
spurs wrote:
[What a Racist Post, are you for real, Have you never heard of English cowboy plumbers......Idiotic post Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Spurs - no intention of being racist, love the Cypriots dearly, tis why I live here. They lay great tiles, cook great food etc etc. However in my experience all the Cypriot plumbers I have come across are qualified only by what their father taught them. I don't think it is racist to say the quality of local plumbing is poor. (I might also add that the quality of copper fittings sold in Cyprus is abysmal) This is the same as saying local driving is poor, if that is racist Spurs you certainly have quite a few posters to put to rights Very Happy

As to cowboy UK plumbers, I am sure there are plenty here so that is why I suggested you get a RECOMMENDATION.
If you cant see how racist that is then I give up..... Ive had c**p Cypriot and English plumbers over here...my plumber now is a Cypriot trained in Germany and goes back for training regularly, you won't find a better plumber anywhere...maybe where you live in Darkest Pafos its like you say but I doubt its the norm anywhere else...telling people only to employ an Englishman is a poor show.

Post: #17   PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Dave B

spurs wrote:
If you cant see how racist that is then I give up......

Looking back on your past posts I doubt you will give up - you have such a chip on your shoulder that you see racism where none exists.

Post: #18   PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
spurs
Membership Closed

Dave B wrote:
spurs wrote:
If you cant see how racist that is then I give up......

Looking back on your past posts I doubt you will give up - you have such a chip on your shoulder that you see racism where none exists.
You Win Pal hands up. You tell every one on here only to employ an english man and there isnt a Cypriot anywhere on Cyprus who is good enough and you cant/dont want to see how Racist that is......try looking in a mirror first before talking about Chips on shoulders Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Post: #19   PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Dave B

Spurs I have had an interesting 10 minutes looking at your previous posts on forum. You are apparently thriving on confrontation where there was none before you interceded. I could post any number of examples but I guess you might prefer I did not.

Post: #20   PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:49 pm Reply with quote
FSB Properties
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

cansweet wrote:

You think thats bad, my uk agent called the plumber i paid 120 for the same job. Cheers.
Leaking water pipe - how to fix? 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Your Developments