Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Cypriot Charities » Books for Charity
Books for Charity 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Beverley
Pictures: 0

Does anyone know of a charity that can make use of hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of book.

Two family libraries have been downsized and they include novels, classics and reference books on most subjects.

They are all bagged up but would need a small truck to collect them from the Larnaca area.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:10 pm Reply with quote
journo
Pictures: 17

Beverley, in Larnaka town there's the Cyprus Association of Cancer Patients and Friends (by St Lazarus church); the Nicosia Dog Shelter (by the Armenian church); and Pafiakos (behind the main Pavlou Square branch of BoC).
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Beverley

Thanks Journo but I don't think they would have room for all of them!

I was looking more for a charity that might want to have a book sale.

Post: #4   PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:40 pm Reply with quote
journo

They all have storage facilities, and they might even co-operate!

Post: #5   PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Tangutica
Pictures: 26

It's hard to give books to charity shops! I know from personal experience in the UK that they say thank you very much and bin them. They get given so many. My next door neighbour works for the one by Lazarus Church. They have too many books already and no room to store them (or even to display them properly) I too have zillions of books - family leaves them behind. I started just giving them to people with holiday rental properties because the Charity shops did not want them.

One idea that does occur is that there used to be a good 2nd hand book stall in the old Oriklini Market - and they'd give you one euro for any book you took there. Most of theirs for sale were 2 or 3 euro so it was like getting a bit of your money back.

I don't know where this lady is now but someone else might as she was well known and had a stall down there for years.

The other possibility is the Thrift Shop in 1st April Street in Larnaca (off the roundabout on Faneromeni) they have a small room at the back dedicated to just books. And you might even make some money from them! It's not a charity shop. But they might take them. You have to make an appointment to take stuff to sell. Just call them.

Telephone number for Larnaca Thrift Shop 24620048 Address is 67, 1st April Ave Drosia, Lca.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #6   PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
journo

What about Soulla's Saturday Morning Family Library (open to all, but held at the American Academy in Larnaka) ? Tel : 99801141

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:59 am Reply with quote
Beverley

Thanks ladies, at the moment a Limassol charity is interested. As for storing them I have a small horsebox completely full so you can imagine how many there are.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:08 am Reply with quote
Tangutica
Pictures: 26

journo wrote:
What about Soulla's Saturday Morning Family Library (open to all, but held at the American Academy in Larnaka) ? Tel : 99801141

EXCELLENT idea Journo! I'd forgotten about that library. Used it for a while a few years ago - they could definitely have done with some additions to their stock of books.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:28 pm Reply with quote
journo

And Soulla raises money for charity - mainly, I think, for breast cancer charities.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Beverley

Books have been collected for St Barnabas Church, Limassol, animal charities and PASYKAF.

Thanks everyone for your ideas.
Books for Charity 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Cypriot Charities