Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » All Attractions » Panhandles in Northern Cyprus Goto page 1, 2  Next
Panhandles in Northern Cyprus 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote
annier
Pictures: 0

Please could somebody kindly give me the directions to the Panhandles in the north from the Vrysoulles crossing. Have never been before and am led to believe that it is very beautiful and that there is a turtle beach along there. Any information would be really appreciated. Many thanks.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail MSN Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:03 pm Reply with quote
romatarot

when you cross over, follow the signs to the north east and drive and drive and drive for about two hours

you'll get there in the end..................
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Tangutica
Pictures: 26

The 'panhandle' is just what some call the Karpaz Peninsular.

You'll know when you've reached the end. There is just a rock with two flags on it!
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Larryand Sue

When you are through the crossing you just need to keep going in pretty much a straight line. The only point you may have a problem is at the traffic island in Famagusta (with the large monument). Follow the signs for Salamis there (second exit) and you really can't go wrong. After that, whenever you have a choice, go straight ahead. If you email me I will send you a map.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:14 am Reply with quote
geoffreys
Membership Closed
Pictures: 1

Watch out for speed cameras - zero tolerance over there!
The first one you will encounter is about 2 clicks after the Vrysoulles crossing, down in a dip in the road, just after you pass on the left a factory called Arsal Gidel.
Another click after that you come to a roundabout, go straight across.
The next roundabout is another click further on, the one mentioned by Larry and Sue in Post No.4.
As they say take the 2nd exit for Salamis; plenty more speed traps en-route to the Panhandle.
Just before this roundabout, on the left, is a currency exchange - the best one we have found.
Geoff

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:19 am Reply with quote
Bigade
Pictures: 4

Tangutica wrote:

You'll know when you've reached the end. There is just a rock with two flags on it!

and a policeman in a little house looking out for illegal immigrants landing on the rocks below.......

He then gives them directions to the UK, where they can claim untold goodies from the government ...... Smile
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail ICQ Number Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:32 am Reply with quote
Tangutica

Bigade wrote:
Tangutica wrote:

and a policeman in a little house looking out for illegal immigrants landing on the rocks below.......

He then gives them directions to the UK, where they can claim untold goodies from the government ...... Smile

Very Happy

Did you just make that up! All I know is that it's a very long and bumpy ride over unmade up road - all just red mud when I did it coz it was hacking down with rain and I did expect to see a little bit more than Turkish flags on a rock when I got there! Maybe just a little info board? Summat!

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:39 am Reply with quote
Bigade

Tangutica wrote:
Bigade wrote:
Tangutica wrote:

Very Happy

Did you just make that up! All I know is that it's a very long and bumpy ride over unmade up road - all just red mud when I did it coz it was hacking down with rain and I did expect to see a little bit more than Turkish flags on a rock when I got there! Maybe just a little info board? Summat!

Only the bit about the directions!! ..... there really is a policeman in a little house, he drives a beat up old Renault 12 .....
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail ICQ Number Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:48 am Reply with quote
Tangutica

Bigade wrote:
Tangutica wrote:
Bigade wrote:
Tangutica wrote:

Very Happy

Only the bit about the directions!! ..... there really is a policeman in a little house, he drives a beat up old Renault 12 .....

Is he round the other side of the rock then? Must admit I didn't bother to get out and explore - as I said it was chucking it down with rain at the time. Didn't even walk right over to it - couldn't see the point as the flags were clearly visible from where I stopped! I was more bothered about being able to get out the same way I came to it as I hadn't seen another vehicle on the 'road' since the last place that was inhabited! Oh well, something I did once and will never bother to do again!

Here's where I'm talking about - where's this little house in relation to this?

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:02 am Reply with quote
annier

Wow - thanks to everyone for their quick replies. It certainly does seem a bumpy ride but I believe it to be very beautiful????

Can anyone tell me about the turtle beach please?

Thanks.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail MSN Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:16 am Reply with quote
Tangutica

annier wrote:
Wow - thanks to everyone for their quick replies. It certainly does seem a bumpy ride but I believe it to be very beautiful????

Can anyone tell me about the turtle beach please?

Thanks.

You'd probably be best using Tripadvisor for up to date reviews etc.
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g190378-d1911647-Reviews-Alagadi_Turtle_Beach-Kyrenia_Kyrenia_District.html

Expect to see lots of rubbish and litter on ALL beaches in the north.

You might like to have a look at this too - and maybe even sign the petition to protect the destruction of the Karpas region.
http://protectkarpas.org/petition/petition-en.pdf

They are disgracefully planning a noisy music festival that will negatively
impact the globally important turtle nesting sites, in what is supposed to be a protected area.

Post: #12   PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:32 am Reply with quote
geoffreys
Membership Closed
Pictures: 1

See also:
www.lgcnews.com/eu-issues-karpaz-warning-to-trnc
Geoff

Post: #13   PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:39 am Reply with quote
SensibleBob

If you go to "Golden Beach" or "Turtle Beach" please be aware there are nesting turtles (You probably wont see any!) and the tracks/heaps of sand mark their area. Do not disturb any of this. At Hassans there is a restaurant and some wooden huts for staying in. (People not turtles!). The guy there claims to be a marine biologist and looks after the turtle nests...shame he couldnt tell sea bream from sea bass.
Cant say much for the food and the wooden causeway to the beach is a different way of getting to the sea (Bit like Holkham in Norfolk!) a guy will trap you if you use the sunbeds and folow you back to the restaurant till you pay up even though no signs anywhere to say cost.
The road to the monastery at the tip is an old concrete road very passable and far less pot holes than our village.The traders at the monastery were the worst experience of tat for a lot of money and at sometime past resported in Cyprus Weekly as mainland Turks responsible for much of the desicration of the monastery.

All in all glad we went but would not want to return and cannot say the beautiful beaches make up for the rest of the squalour.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #14   PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Tangutica

SensibleBob wrote:
If you go to "Golden Beach" or "Turtle Beach" please be aware there are nesting turtles (You probably wont see any!) and the tracks/heaps of sand mark their area. Do not disturb any of this. At Hassans there is a restaurant and some wooden huts for staying in. (People not turtles!). The guy there claims to be a marine biologist and looks after the turtle nests...shame he couldnt tell sea bream from sea bass.
Cant say much for the food and the wooden causeway to the beach is a different way of getting to the sea (Bit like Holkham in Norfolk!) a guy will trap you if you use the sunbeds and folow you back to the restaurant till you pay up even though no signs anywhere to say cost.
The road to the monastery at the tip is an old concrete road very passable and far less pot holes than our village.The traders at the monastery were the worst experience of tat for a lot of money and at sometime past resported in Cyprus Weekly as mainland Turks responsible for much of the desicration of the monastery.

All in all glad we went but would not want to return and cannot say the beautiful beaches make up for the rest of the squalour.

I too think the tat market stalls outside the crumbling monastery are a disgrace. But that it is the passage of time that has caused the decay to it (that and the arguments twixt both sides about the repairs to it) and you've a way to go past the monastery to get to the very tip and it's then the road becomes a bit dodgy. Well it's some years now and maybe with their 'development' of this lovely area they've included widening and improving the road.

To be quite honest, the first time I went to visit the monastery I drove straight past it not dreaming that that tatty old building with all those c**p stalls outside it would be the place!

Post: #15   PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Tangutica

This place (on the road to Karpas) is worth stopping to visit. 10th century Church of the Holy Cave. It is set down off the road (with a cafe in front and to one side - you take the steps down from the side of the cafe) you can't really miss it as there is a Greek Cypriot Church almost right in front of it. And a gaudy huge Chinese Restaurant just before you get to it (and not much else around there)

Here's the Church on the road up above (you can just see a corner of the Chinese Restaurant there on the left)

Here's a pic coming at it with the Chinese behind you - the cafe above it is shown on the left.

You will also be driving past the Arched Houses and they are worth seeing too.

In fact I think all of the above are more worth a visit than the rock with the Turkish flags!

Last edited by Tangutica on Sun May 26, 2013 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Byker
Membership Closed

Tangutica wrote:

On the other side of the rock...The views are worth the effort of climbing to the top where the flag poles are.

Post: #17   PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:51 pm Reply with quote
sandyoap

the karpaz peninsula is pretty, but not much point in going to the most eastern tip and the flags unless its just to say you've done it. nice areas well before that but be warned you've often got a long hike from the track (won't say road) to the beach and waters edge. in summer the sand can be so hot it can blister your feet if you're wearing open sandals. my mate ended up in hospital. that was after seeing his land ruined and built on. not his happiest day.

Post: #18   PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Tangutica

Byker wrote:
Tangutica wrote:

On the other side of the rock...The views are worth the effort of climbing to the top where the flag poles are.

Very Happy
Now ya tell me! I aint' going back just to climb over that rock. As I said, I didn't even get out of the car it was raining so hard at the time.

Post: #19   PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:51 pm Reply with quote
annier

Thanks again for all your replies. You have been most helpful. Not sure that I want to go as far as the flag, but may take a shorter drive. Your comments have been great as have the pictures.

Post: #20   PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Shedman

Ah, c'mon - you have to go to the flags just to be able to say that you've visited the most Eastern point in Europe.

Besides, the tiny little islands (just beyond) are great to see on a bright day.

Does anyone know if they have a name?

You must visit turtle beach (and I'd recommend a night at Hassan's) to really appreciate the beauty of the area.

Recently married, wife knows it all...
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » All Attractions