Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Pets & Animal Welfare In Cyprus » POISONING FIRST AID INFORMATION FLYER
POISONING FIRST AID INFORMATION FLYER 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Big Alas
Pictures: 2

Following the huge amount of poisoning that has been taking place and with the loass of 5 of our own cats, we have produced a very important and perhaps life saving information flyer that can be downloaded below.

Having spent the morning showing the vets the flyer and it is now on show at the Surgery in Paralimni (Tassos) and Deryniea (Miltiades) and I will try to get it put up in some other places where we live in Deryneia.

The key thing is to have a first aid kit either at home or out with you containing two (2) very important solutions.

Filtalon, is used first to make the animal vomit asap to try bring up as much of the poison so it does not continue working inside the pet.

Then use Atropine, which stops the effects of the poison closing down organs and reducing heart rate.

The whole point is to do all of this BEFORE you rush the animal to the vet.

The time between discovery and reaching the vet is pendulum time in which you can either reduce the effect of the poison before seeking vetenary help, or doing nothing before running to the vet, but in that time whether its 5 or 15 minutes, the poison is doing its job and the animal CANNOT fight it.

Thats why Jan & I felt so strongly, having had 5 cats poisoned and continually reading so many reports of this terrible problem and perhaps it will help save lives in Pets.

Finding out there is a way to buy time, we feel if we had known about this first aid kit before, we might, just might have had a chance to save their lives!

So we hope with this information, people who are pet owners, might just give their pets a fighting chance.

Please, please, will you help with what we have done and download the flyer and email it to all your friends and neighbours please.

If you can print out a copy, get it displayed in your local vet, and get it put up in pubs, clubs or shops, all the better - just anywhere, so that people are more informed about this first aid kit for animals please.

FINALLY, if you download it - please leave a comment or something as we would love to know just how many downloads there have been.

We hope we also hear of some success stories about this first aid kit.

Best wishes to all,

Regards,

Alan

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
pantheman
Pictures: 0

Good poster, but I think the title could be more direct. When I saw the title I thought it was just news about poisoning. The heading could be more meaningful to entice readership. Like "How to save your pet" or "emergency aid for your pet" something along these lines. This basically bullet points the contents of the poster. I would ba happy to display it in my shop window.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Big Alas

Thank you Pan.

Thats a fair point and will try to consider a new title.

More importantly, thanks for the kind gesture, indeed very useful to display this in your window.

I think we now need about 1,000 of these around the Island please.

ευχαριστώ πάρα πολύ

Regards,

Alan

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Lyndi

Thanks for this useful information - Much appreciated.

I've printed out some copies and will try and get these posted in local Bars etc in the Kapparis Area.

Cheers,

Lyndi.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:15 am Reply with quote
case

A very great well done to both of you who care so much for those poor little creatures being posioned for no reason.

Very , very good work bless you both
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:26 am Reply with quote
devil
Pictures: 1

Atropine is useful in cases of Lannate poisoning but may be worse than useless in cases of other toxins that may be used more since Lannate went off the local market. There is no such thing as a universal antidote and inducing vomiting may also be dangerous in some cases. That having been said, any help is positive. If possible, pick up some of the ingested poison so that the vet can make a best guess as to the most appropriate treatment ans so that, no matter the outcome, the police have forensic evidence of the crime for analysis, and can see where you left the rest. In all cases, inform the police ASAP indicating where the poison is placed.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Big Alas

Thanks Lyndi for your comments and also for offering to put them up around Karparis.

Great Person thanks.

Regards

Alan

Post: #8   PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
cyprus_gal

Thanks

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Tangutica
Pictures: 26

I am reposting this all over as many dog related groups on FB as I know of and also 'sharing' it.

It DOES say at the bottom what it is about. I only need two words 'Pet' and 'Poisoning' to get my attention as an animal lover living in Cyprus.

Several cats around here poisoned last week.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #10   PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote
Big Alas

Thanks for distributing and adding this to FB Tang.

All the help we can give to publicise this information may perhaps save one or more lives or our cherished pets.

Regards,

Alan

Post: #11   PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:17 am Reply with quote
patcrossley

Tank you will now put a first aid kit together for my dog

Post: #12   PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Big Alas

Thanks Pet,

Hope you never need it but its worth knowing about and it could be a life saver.

Regards,

Alan
New Flyer in Greek Language 
Post: #13   PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:30 am Reply with quote
Big Alas

I have now produced the First Aid leaflet on poisoning in Greek.

Please fell free to circulate it or to share it on FB please.

Regards,

Alan

ps....do not forget to get the first aid kit from your vet .....please!

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Pets & Animal Welfare In Cyprus