Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat » can anyone tell me???
can anyone tell me??? 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:15 pm Reply with quote
cheeky
Pictures: 0

Before any funny remarks, yes i know its a spider!!! can anyone tell me what sort or if its poisioness or not. thanks

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Kat1888

Aaaaaaaaaargh! is that not a T*RANT*L*????? omg i can't even say it!!

It looks big!

Kat (sitting here shaking!)
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote
stevecroad
Pictures: 2

Have you looked on the web! Wink

Steve Croad

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Tangutica
Pictures: 26

Looks like a tarantula to me! (but ALL big spidies look like tarantuals to me!)
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 4:31 am Reply with quote
Larryand Sue

I think it is a wolf spider, I found one with a large egg sac living in one of my fruit trees. Scary but relatively harmless.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 6:29 am Reply with quote
cheeky

Thanks for all the info . One things for sure, ill be looking over my shoulder from now on. !!!!!
can anyone tell me 
Post: #7   PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:48 am Reply with quote
Nemesis

Hi, I attach a picture of a tarantula, not taken by me, wouldn't get that close!

Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 9:02 am Reply with quote
2diffs

The picture is of a tarrantula, it has the typical hairy body and 2 prominent palps on its rear end.

All T's have a similar body shape with prominent leg joints hairy abdomen and normally slow movement. The thorax is larger than the abdomen, not like the wolf spider which has the opposite.

Their abdomen is easily damaged by a fall and it will split which is usually fatal so they cautious when walking on slick surfaces as per your pictures.

Tarrantulas are not considered poisonous, unless you class a bee as poisonous.

My wife has kept a couple as pets in a terrarium one in UK and one here.

They are normally very placid and will walk up your hand if they are relaxed.

T's will rear up on their hind legs in a threatening posture if cornered and I have seen a large one in Ayia Napa face off a cat. If you touch one in this posture it may try to bite.

The bite administered by it's fangs below its head, will instantly paralyse a cricket or catterpillar. They normally lay in wait and ambush a passing lunch. Very fast attack.

T's have another defence mechanism, they rub the hairs on their abdomen and these contain barbed ends which irritate the skin and are very sore if you get them in the eyes.

Pet shops here in Cyprus will charge around 60 for an imported Chilean red.

Local T's fetch about 30. Wild ones should not be captured.

They eat small insects, locusts and crickets. They usually prefer to stay in a hiding space and get stressed in the open.

If you find one in your house and you want to move it, avoid knocking it onto the floor even from a low height as it may get hurt. Place a bowl or box over it and slip a card under so it can be moved safely. Take it outside into a shaded place and place it on the ground before release. They move slowly so don't be afraid that it will scuttle up your leg.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

spider 
Post: #9   PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
cheeky

thank you for that brilliant information. know what to do now if i see another one. ( hopefully NOT !!!!!!!!)
can anyone tell me??? 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat