Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Advocates » Emily Lemoniati - Paphos lawyer!
Emily Lemoniati - Paphos lawyer! 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:19 am Reply with quote
LynSab
Pictures: 1

THE Cyprus Bar Association (CBA) has this week fined Paphos lawyer Emily Lemoniati €1,000 for misconduct after she failed to register her clients’ 2005 property sales agreement, then waited three years to amend, sign and file a new contract without her clients’ instructions.
Lemoniati’s clients, Scottish expats Andrew and Patricia McClay, complained to police in 2009 but it has taken the CBA’s disciplinary board until now to reach a verdict on the two charges of “showing conduct contrary to the advocates’ profession”.
The first, according to board president and Attorney-general Petros Clerides, was for failing to register the sale agreement for the McClays’ home, dated 25 October 2005.
The second was issued because, on or around 21 October 2008, Lemoniati used a power of attorney given by the McClays without their instruction, to issue a sales agreement of which they were not aware.
Board chairman Doros Ioannides said: “It is clear that the accused lawyer

breached her clients’ instructions and breached the code of professional ethics and therefore we find her guilty on the said charge.”

You really have to laugh at her comments, beggars belief!

Moreover, she claimed to have more than 15 people ready to testify against McClay: “This is ridiculous, this person is insane. Maybe he has a personal issue with me. He does not care about his wife... he has a mania about Emily Lemoniati, every morning he wakes up and his intention is Emily Lemoniati.” 
“I will chase him until the day he dies... no matter what. I’m going to make his life a nightmare.”

And.....

Her name now appears on several websites, such as:
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.
whatswrongwithcyprus.eucy.info, bewarepaschalicyprus.com/ and several chat forums, where details of her previous conviction, imprisonment and subsequent presidential pardon for driving offences can be found.

She sounds a little mad......in more ways than one!

Rolling Eyes
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
Tangutica
Pictures: 26

Quote:
“I will chase him until the day he dies... no matter what. I’m going to make his life a nightmare.”

Well she will not be the only so called 'professional' associated with the property industry in Cyprus who has that mind set will she?

Perhaps she will get another Presidential Pardon?

Rolling Eyes

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:48 pm Reply with quote
case
Pictures: 0

Tangutica wrote:
Quote:

Well she will not be the only so called 'professional' associated with the property industry in Cyprus who has that mind set will she?

Rolling Eyes
I wanna be a lawyer in Cyprus, if you can do things like her and say things like her and get away with it I want some to and I will only charge half of what she charges.

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote
mouse

case wrote:
Tangutica wrote:
Quote:

Rolling Eyes
I wanna be a lawyer in Cyprus, if you can do things like her and say things like her and get away with it I want some to and I will only charge half of what she charges.

The only References you need are, That you can Lie and smile at the same time, and of course you have to be corrupt beyond reproach.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote
case

mouse wrote:
case wrote:
Tangutica wrote:
Quote:

Rolling Eyes

The only References you need are, That you can Lie and smile at the same time, and of course you have to be corrupt beyond reproach.
Exactly I don't know why they bother with studying law abroad only to come back and make it up as you go along. The Cyprus Bar is no better look at how much she was fined any lawyer can pay that and walk out laughing. If that was the law society in the UK she would have been struck off and gone to prison.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Tina Torment

Unfortunately, this happens all too often. Happened to us i.e. contracts not deposited because the well renowned, & trusted 'lawyer' forgot? Despite 13 faxes, several emails and numerous telephone calls requesting if the contract had been deposited he also inadvertently forgot to answer lol! When we sacked him, he soon managed to phone us screaming & hollering!! We alerted several people using his services......hey presto....he'd also forgotten to deposit their contracts too! Bar association didn't want to know but took our fee anyway lol!

Luckily, it didn't knock his confidence and he is still continues to practise in Paralimni probably doing exactly the same thing over and over again to other unsuspecting clients.

Am I bitter......you bet! Evil or Very Mad
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
pantheman

My opinion is that the CBA are even more at fault for the disgraceful penalty they issued. €1000, they are taking the * urine *, seriously.
Just be the threatening remarks should have earned her at least another €1000 on the top and be arrested and charged.nI suppose with a criminal record she cannot practice anyway???
This has been a complete circus and has exposed Cyprus poor performance yet again.

Good luck to AndyP, at least he got a guilty verdict to be able to name the, what is it they call her, 'Stigette' or something like that.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #8   PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
case

Tina Torment wrote:
Unfortunately, this happens all too often. Happened to us i.e. contracts not deposited because the well renowned, & trusted 'lawyer' forgot? Despite 13 faxes, several emails and numerous telephone calls requesting if the contract had been deposited he also inadvertently forgot to answer lol! When we sacked him, he soon managed to phone us screaming & hollering!! We alerted several people using his services......hey presto....he'd also forgotten to deposit their contracts too! Bar association didn't want to know but took our fee anyway lol!

Luckily, it didn't knock his confidence and he is still continues to practise in Paralimni probably doing exactly the same thing over and over again to other unsuspecting clients.

Am I bitter......you bet! Evil or Very Mad
Don't tell me it's that lawyer in Paralimni you had please not you as well !!! LOL

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote
suekay

Being naive and gullible when we bought our apartment off plan in 2007, we used the lawyer recommended by MRI Embarassed This lawyer was Emily Lemoniati. We weren't impressed when she tried to charge us twice (giving the excuse when challenged, that one of her new office staff had inadvertantly sent us somebody else's invoice after we had paid our own) How do we find out if our contract has been registered? Any advice gratefully received

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

suekay wrote:
How do we find out if our contract has been registered? Any advice gratefully received

You can do an N50 search at the Land Registry - you would need a
copy of your contract. You can find the form to download on Nigel's site

In addition you could take a look at your contract and it should have a
stamp on it if it was submitted to the Land Registry.

HTH

Cheers

Steve

Post: #11   PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:50 am Reply with quote
LynSab

The victim of the court case has added a comment to the newspaper article which makes the fine metered out to this ...lawyer Rolling Eyes even more derisory.

By not registering our contract in 2005 the developer registered a 640.000.00 mortgage, or thereabouts, on our development and thus 10% was on the land my house stood. This mortgage charge was applied in 2006. During the trial we were informed that this mortgage had been cleared by the developer.

As part of lemoniati’s defence, bearing in mind this was OUR lawyer,she advised the DBA in writing that she could not register the contract because——- the developer did not own the site at the time the contracts were signed. Sorry say that again.

To top it all we stuck to the agreed payment plan and it transpired that we paid out over 60k PRIOR to the developer actually buying the property.

The DBA, my new lawyers (whom I might add discovered most of this as I was blissfully unaware) and I have a copy of this letter so these facts cannot be challenged as she, in her wisdom, put them in writing.

Beggars belief.

Andrew McClay

Post: #12   PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
suekay

Steve - SJD wrote:
suekay wrote:
How do we find out if our contract has been registered? Any advice gratefully received

You can do an N50 search at the Land Registry - you would need a
copy of your contract. You can find the form to download on Nigel's site

In addition you could take a look at your contract and it should have a
stamp on it if it was submitted to the Land Registry.

HTH

Cheers

Steve

Thank you very much. We'll check it out
Emily....... 
Post: #13   PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
emanon

Can I second what has been said? I will be 'naming and shaming' some people eventually. i had a very bad experience with the CBA -I felt i'd been thrown to the lions' without even a spear!!

I also had a lawyer in the UK who charged me twice for something, nearly a totol of GDP 3k for basically getting a copy of my mother's will and Probate. The SRA and Legal Ombudsman wouldn't accept that I had due reason for a late submission. (husband's sudden death not a good enough reason; should have got myself lost in the Sahara Desert!) I still have 3 years to sue a certain Stennet, in Southampton. That's all another story!!

Does anyoneone in Cyprus know whether the 'Wednesday Principle' -ie 'what a reasonable man would do' is applicable please?

Post: #14   PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote
Baggysdad
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

While Ms Lemoniati won't be too bothered about the €1,000 fine, I suspect that she will be very worried about the consequences that this outcome has for her business and her ability to continue to practice.

My guess is that indmenity insurers won't touch her with a barge pole, which means that she could now be personally liable for the consequences of her errors past, present and future.

P

Post: #15   PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote
dylan

Baggysdad- I understand that insurance for lawyers was only a requirement within the last TWO years in Cyprus.

It also relies heavily on the honour system! The lawyers have to report possible cases against them.

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Re: Emily....... 
Post: #16   PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

bazchic wrote:
Can I second what has been said? I will be 'naming and shaming' some people eventually. i had a very bad experience with the CBA -I felt i'd been thrown to the lions' without even a spear!!

The way the law works, if you do 'name & shame' somebody what is very likely to happen is that this board's admin, Steve, will be getting a solictior's letter(s) and have to fork out & give up his time for his own lawyer to sort it out.

Sad but true.

Post: #17   PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:35 am Reply with quote
Baggysdad
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Quote:
Baggysdad- I understand that insurance for lawyers was only a requirement within the last TWO years in Cyprus.

That may be true - but if she can't get insurance going forward because of her past history - she will be out of business.

Of course this creates a difficulty for her past customers - they will no longer have firm in existence against which to take action for any past mishaps.

Company law in England & Wales allows that if a director of company is found to be negligent, they can be personally liable for the consequences, notwithstanding the limited liability of the company. Don't know whether the same is true in Cyprus.

Post: #18   PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:51 pm Reply with quote
dylan

"Yes, she is still practising in Paphos and she recently published an advertisement asking to empoy to her firm two lawyers.

Unfotunately, this lady made a lot of damage to the other female (or not) lawyers of Paphos, despite that Paphos has excellent practising lawyers.[/quote]"

She will continue to practice until more of her victims lodge complaints against her.

I agree with Jane in that there are good lawyers out there but why they do not speak up and rid themselves of the likes of Emily Lemoniati who gives them all a bad name is beyond me. When they do the good ones can flourish.

Her reported comments which would not have been published in the Cyprus Mail unless recorded in some way speak volumes in regard to her attitude towards colleagues in the legal profession, governing body and clients.

... id=0010930

"It is unclear why Lemoniati delayed the registration of the original document".

What was not reported but is now recorded at the DBA as a matter of fact is that we signed our contract in October 2005 and our developer, Paschali, took out a mortgage on our land in March 2006 prior to our contract being registered.

It has to be said that Paschali has honoured his mortgage and this has now been cleared. However it is now also a matter of fact that our advocate Emily Lemoniati allowed us to sign a contract with Paschali in 2005 and allowed us to make substantial payments to them in accordance with the installment plan of the contract, PRIOR to them actually OWNING the site.

You could not make this up.

The real story! Trust no one may be the best advice which is a shame.
Emily Lemoniati - Paphos lawyer! 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Advocates