Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools » schools
schools 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:14 pm Reply with quote
thumpstar
Pictures: 0

I have a 8 year old daughter who will be starting school after Christmas, Would prefer english speaking school in the Larnaca region, any suggestions?
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:07 pm Reply with quote
kdepp77
Pictures: 3

Med Junior, would recommend it in a heartbeat. This is a wonderful friendly school in my experience with lots of very happy children.

We considered the American Academy also but i haven't regretted my choice one single day so far.
(please don't let me have jinxed myself Rolling Eyes )
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:47 am Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

I can also recommend Med Junior. Operates the UK Curriculum in English and has a rich mix of students.
Situated 100m inland from the police station, near Costa Coffee and the Easy Hotel.

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:59 am Reply with quote
spurs
Membership Closed

If you dont mind settling for second best then its not a problem....The American Academy is miles ahead of Med High......in fact the Med High was set up for the high number of English Cypriots who where returning here in the late eighties early Nineties and their children were not bright enough to pass the entrance exam at the American Academy and were left with only the Cypriot schools as an alternative someone saw the business opportunity and opened the Med High to cater for the not so clever children.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:43 am Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

As a retired junior school teacher myself and also going by what educated and informed parents have reported to me, The Med Junior school is superior to the AA Junior. Also, there is no guarantee that your child will progress from the Academy Juniors to the High School .
The Med High is more like a comprehensive school and is inclusive with a Special Needs department. The AA High School is selective and is run more like a Grammar School and naturally achieves excellent exam results. However, our daughter, who would probably have passed the entrance examination is doing well at the Med, is happy and will achieve the required grades at GCSE and A Levels. They stream for examination classes, so the more able students are not held back and the class sizes are often small, another benefit.

Last edited by Andrew Brooks on Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Post: #6   PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:56 am Reply with quote
spurs
Membership Closed

As someone whole lives in the real world and has friends on the board of the American Academy....I will repeat it once more the American Academy is miles ahead of the Med High and the Med High takes the students not bright enough to get into the American Academy.......Spin it how you like ..that's how it is in the real world.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:02 am Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

spurs wrote:
As someone whole lives in the real world and has friends on the board of the American Academy....I will repeat it once more the American Academy is miles ahead of the Med High and the Med High takes the students not bright enough to get into the American Academy.......Spin it how you like ..that's how it is in the real world.

You've missed the salient points again dear boy....................... and not for the first time.

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:23 am Reply with quote
spurs
Membership Closed

Andrew Brooks wrote:
spurs wrote:

You've missed the salient points again dear boy....................... and not for the first time.
You Stick to your salient points Dear Boy.......Il carry on living in the real World......Dear Dear boy Wink Laughing

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:30 am Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

The voice of reason. Sorry for questioning Spurs' world Laughing

Post: #10   PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:28 am Reply with quote
spurs
Membership Closed

Andrew Brooks wrote:
The voice of reason. Sorry for questioning Spurs' world Laughing
Apology accepted Wink Laughing

Post: #11   PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:00 pm Reply with quote
kimonas

There is a healthy rivalry between the two schools - one is inclusive and the other is exclusive - by excluding and sending rejects to the other, the Academy maintains its excellence. The Med schools group has a very high value added index in achieving great exam results and providing programmes to cater for both the gifted and those with learning challenges such as dyslexia. Having had experience of both schools I would agree with Andrew on this one, the Med Schools win hands down on being a real school filled with very talented teachers (and of course real school problems)- it looks and feels like a good UK comprehensive- the Academy employs mainly ex students which simply reinforces their inflated sense of superiority - it looks and feels like an exclusive school which punishes failure and celebrates natural talent.
The best thing to do is to visit both schools and decide which one would suit your needs - after all some people promote comprehensives, whilst others prefer grammars (and we should all respect that).

Post: #12   PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:03 am Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

kimonas wrote:
There is a healthy rivalry between the two schools - one is inclusive and the other is exclusive - by excluding and sending rejects to the other, the Academy maintains its excellence. The Med schools group has a very high value added index in achieving great exam results and providing programmes to cater for both the gifted and those with learning challenges such as dyslexia. Having had experience of both schools I would agree with Andrew on this one, the Med Schools win hands down on being a real school filled with very talented teachers (and of course real school problems)- it looks and feels like a good UK comprehensive- the Academy employs mainly ex students which simply reinforces their inflated sense of superiority - it looks and feels like an exclusive school which punishes failure and celebrates natural talent.
The best thing to do is to visit both schools and decide which one would suit your needs - after all some people promote comprehensives, whilst others prefer grammars (and we should all respect that).

Agreed. I have nothing against grammar schools and was merely trying to point out to Spurs that the schools are 'different' and have their respective appeal.
Re: schools 
Post: #13   PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Jewels
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

thumpstar wrote:
I have a 8 year old daughter who will be starting school after Christmas, Would prefer english speaking school in the Larnaca region, any suggestions?

There is Dhekelia primary school which is on the base
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

HTH

Julie

Post: #14   PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:09 pm Reply with quote
expat observer

I am about to bring my two girlies to Med Junior, mainly because it has both special educational needs and gifted and talented provision and I am in the position that one of my girls falls within the scope of what is sometimes called "twice exceptional" and needs both. An expert in this field reckons that there are very few schools in Cyprus who may be in such a position to provide for the needs of our daughter.

Having a child who is Gifted and Talented is not always a bl3ssing, particularly if the school is unable to provide for v the intellectual/academic needs of a G&T pupil, and particularly where they have an additional SEN.

(I understand some 20% of children who are in the 95 centile or more are apparently likely to have a learning affective disorder such as behaviours on the ASD scale or ADD/ADHD type issues).

schools 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools