Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » The Boot Room » Mike Newell's comments
Mike Newell's comments 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Keith Sheffield
Pictures: 2

What do you think about Mike Newell's comments about the female official? Personally, I think it is outrageous that he said that it was the fact that she's a woman that led to his judgement of her performance. OK if he said that an official was physically unfit and not capable of carrying out his/her job, but to base his comments on her gender was appalling. I've known many linesmen struggle to keep up with play, but no one has brought their gender into the issue. If a person is fit and capable of carrying out their job, then what has their gender got to do with it? Nothing to do with being PC; everything to do with having the best people possible in the job.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:04 am Reply with quote
Cardiff lad
Pictures: 7

I totally agree Keith.

We had a ref on Saturday against Burnley that was absolutely disgusting but nothing was said about his gender, possibly his parentage but then thats normal anyway.

Male/female officials they all make mistakes, its whats called being human.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail MSN Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:44 am Reply with quote
alan99
Pictures: 0

Thought this funny. From The Sun 13/11/06

Reasons women make good referees

1. They are always right.

2. Men would mind their language.

3. They have a calming influence.

4. They never lose an argument.

5. They always have the last word.

Reasons women make bad referees

1. They can’t stand the sight of blood.

2. They’d get lost on the way to the ground.

3. They’d add injury time for breaking a nail.

4. Matches would kick off 30 minutes late.

5. Players would trip over their handbags.

Laughing Laughing

Regards

Alan
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:39 am Reply with quote
bromerzz

Keep women out of men's football...they have there own version of the game and should referee that.
Sporting the latest in designer ladies shirts by Armani is Nancy, 29, blond , blue eyes, from Essex and a graduate of the Hackney Marshes ladies sunday League...get out of it..Offside ref.
They'll need minders on the pitch when a tough decision has to be made ...no...get em out ...the girls that is.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Keith Sheffield

Interesting one that 'they'll need minders on the pitch' ...I remember that referee that fell over backwards when Paulo di Canio put his hands up to his chest (Sheff. Wed. 1 Arsenal 0) ...went over like a big girl's blouse ..I guess if the ref had been a woman, Paulo would have been arrested for sexual assault! Seriously though, I think that di Canio would have had more respect if it was a female ref and not put his hands on her ...but then again, he is Italian....

On the question of keeping women out of the game altogether, all I can say is that Wednesdayite female fans have always made a great contribution to the banter home and away ...and recently at Hillsborough, young sisters in the group Twin more than held their own with the Barnsley fans at half time when they were performing on the pitch ...and I just love to hear women's comments about other women match officials ...priceless!!

Post: #6   PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Balconia

Keith Sheffield wrote :

Seriously though, I think that di Canio would have had more respect if it was a female ref and not put his hands on her ...but then again, he is Italian....

What exactly did you mean by that comment Keith ?

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:46 am Reply with quote
Keith Sheffield

What I meant was that, if the referee had been a woman, di Canio may have held his temper out of respect for women and restrained from any sort of physical contact …but that, as he is famous for saying, he is a proud Italian who plays the game with a passion that is difficult to restrain.

Why did you ask me this?

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:28 am Reply with quote
Balconia

Keith
Thank you for your response.
I asked because i wanted clarification that your comment related to an individual and not Italian football players/people as a whole.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:30 am Reply with quote
bromerzz

Thought police at work?

Post: #10   PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:28 am Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

bromerzz wrote:
Thought police at work?

Just people who happen to be part Italian.

Cheers

Steve

Post: #11   PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:00 am Reply with quote
Ristac
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 13

I think lady officials should official lady matches. Agree he went about complaining the wrong way, there are very poor male officials too.

Post: #12   PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:57 pm Reply with quote
bromerzz

I know i'm half Italian, my mother is from Trieste.

Post: #13   PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:29 pm Reply with quote
evertonian

would it have been a problem if Keith Sheffield had meant something else?
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #14   PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

The question was asked and answered - no problem.

Cheers

Steve
Mike Newell's comments 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » The Boot Room