Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Cypriot Recipes & Music » Chicken Curry
Chicken Curry 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:45 pm Reply with quote
dawnnett
Pictures: 1

Anyone got a recipe for a good Chicken Curry recipe
Years ago in restaurants the currys used to have a line of Ghee round the edge of the plate, not healthy i know, but the taste was so much better then the stew like currys you get today
thanks Dawn
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:00 am Reply with quote
paul1978
Pictures: 0

1 tsb madras hot curry powder
1 tsb garam masala
0.5 tsb turmeric
1.5 tsb cumin
1 tsb salt
1 tsb pepper
1 tsb garlic powder
2 tsb ginger powder
1tsb chilli powder

mix the above with 2-3 spoons of oil to make a curry paste.

chop and lightly fry a couple of onions then puree through the blender.

now fry off the meat

add 1 table spoon of tomato paste
approx 200 ml of fresh yoghurt
now the curry paste
now 300 ml of chicken stock or 2 tsb of chicken powder without msg

simmer for 20 mins

serve with a good quality basmati rice such as tilda.
remember to wash the rice if you want softer fluffier rice.

or if you want something a little different this is an genuine asian recipe

in 1 big pan
1 tsb curry powder
1 tsb garam masala
1 tsb turmeric
2 tsb cumin
3 fresh cloves of garlic
approx 2 inch of fresh ginger
2 fresh chillies
2-3 pieces of cinnamon or 1 tsb powder
8-10 cardomom pods
2-3 onions slice
2-3 green capsicum (peppers)
2 tablespoons of ghee or clarified butter
your choice of meat.
cover the pan with lid and lightly fry for 2-3 mins.
stir
now add a little water
cover again and cook on a very low heat for 20-25 mins
do not remove the lid this is very important

once finished stir in some fresh corriander.

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:30 am Reply with quote
Janie

Hi this is the curry i like to make give it a try its really tasty

INGREDIENTS
2/3 tbsp oil
1 pkt Chicken Fillet chopped into chunks
1 Bunch of Spring Onions chopped
1 Large onion halfed and quartered
2/3 fresh green chillies finely chopped
2/3 toes garlic crushed
1 inch fresh ginger grated
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp turmeric
1&half tsp hot curry powder
1 tin chopped tomatoes
150ml water
200ml cream
1 hundful fresh coriander

METHOD
Fry the chicken over a low heat till slightly golden add the both onions garlic and chillies until soft then add the fresh ginger cumin coriander tumeric and curry powder fry for1 or 2 mins to infuse the flavours into the other ingredients then add the tomatoes and water when it starts to bubble a bit turn down the heat and cook for about 20mins then add the cream lastly add salt pepper and the fresh coriander
I normaly serve it with an aromatic rice i'll give you the recipe aswell

INGREDIENTS

250g basmati rice
2 tbsp oil
1 onion chopped
3 cardomom pods crushed
3 black peppercorns
3 cloves
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp turmeric
600ml boiling chicken stock
salt

METHOD
Place the rice in a sieve and wash well under cold running water until the water runs clear. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onions and spices and fry gently for one minute, stirring all the the time. Stir in the rice and mix well until coated in the spiced oil, then add the boiling chicken stock and season with salt, bring to the boil, stir well then cover, reduce the heat and cook gently for 15 minutes without uncovering.

Then serve and enjoy!!! I have got a recipe for nann bread, garlicky Mushroom Pakoras and minted oinion bhajis aswell if you like just let me know and i'll post it on here. Happy cooking and enjoy Very Happy
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
dawnnett

Janie & Paul

Thank you both for your recipes (they all sound yummy)
will give them a whirl
Janie yes please , id like your recipes
Dawn

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

I used to roast/grind spices to make my own curries but found that I can't make it as well as using 'Patak's Mild Curry Paste' which the local UK shops now stock.

Finely chop an onion, sweat until soft, add curry paste & mix. Add whatever meat you're using to coat with mixture & seal. Add half a tin chopped tomatoes, a spoonful of tomato paste, dilute with water & simmer until consistency you want.

The major difference between home & (UK) restaurant curries is the addition of methi (dried fenugreek leaves) at the end of cooking.

In restaurants oil is sometimes added to the finished dish to give the impression that it's separated from the dish during cooking.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:47 pm Reply with quote
don
Membership Closed

Off course you could try Lloyd Grossmans curry sauces if your in the UK don't know about Cyprus, been cooking currys for years fron scratch, and I don't like ready made sauces but these ones are really good IMHO. You can taste the herbs & Spices, normally get them from Sainsbury's
dawnnett wrote:
Anyone got a recipe for a good Chicken Curry recipe
Years ago in restaurants the currys used to have a line of Ghee round the edge of the plate, not healthy i know, but the taste was so much better then the stew like currys you get today
thanks Dawn

Post: #7   PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Maldjack
Pictures: 12

Cypriot Chicken Curry now that is different!!!!!!!!!!!!
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #8   PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:01 pm Reply with quote
JonandGaynor

Here's my recipe, i know it sounds a bit complicated but if i can do it anyone can, and it tastes great. This is supposed to be for 2 but i find there's enough sauce for 3 but just add more chicken, onion and peas to the fried chicken part. It is fairly hot so reduce the number of chilles if you wish.
Ingredients for the sauce:
6 tbsp veg oil or ghee
3 onions finely chopped
4 garlic cloves sliced
4 cm piece ginger root thinly sliced
4 red chillies, seeds removed and chopped.
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tbsp chilli powder
2.5 tsp curry powder
2.5 tsp plain flour
2.5 tsp self raising flour
125ml water
500ml chicken or veg stock.

For the chicken
3-4 tbsp cornflour
2 chicken breasts cut into strips
2 tbsp oil
1/2 onion thinly sliced
2 tbsp peas

Method
1. Heat oil in heavy based pan and cook onion on a high setting for a few minutes. add ginger garlic and red chilli. Stir for 30 secs then reduce heat to very low. Cook for 15 mins stirring occasionally as it must not burn.

2. add turmeric, cumin, coriander, curry powder and chilli powder and cook for a further 5 mins. add a few drops of water to sauce if it looks to be burning.

3. cool a little, put water and mixture in a blender and whiz to a smooth paste, add both types of flour and re blend.

4. Put mixture back in the saucepan and cook on a very low heat for 20-30 mins (the longer the better). Stir occasionaly and add a little water if it starts to catch on the pan, you want it to darken to an orangey brown colour. once coloured and thickened gradually stir in the stock and simmer until sauce has cooked down.

5. Season the cornflour with salt and pepper and toss with the chicken strips to coat well.

6. Add oil to frying pan and cook chicken for a few minutes until it's turned white, add sliced onions and peas and stir fry for a few minutes to heat thro'. Add to curry sauce and heat until hot, serve with rice.

I hope you try this, it is good.

And Janie, i would be grateful for your onion bhajis and pakora recipe as well.
Jon

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:11 pm Reply with quote
dawnnett

Thank's JonandGayner

I think the next few weekends will be trying out all your recipes Smile
I do make curry's but are always looking at other recipes to try
Ilove spicey food ...esp Garlic and chilllis

Dawn

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 4:49 am Reply with quote
LynSab

Kwacka wrote:
I used to roast/grind spices to make my own curries but found that I can't make it as well as using 'Patak's Mild Curry Paste' which the local UK shops now stock.

Finely chop an onion, sweat until soft, add curry paste & mix. Add whatever meat you're using to coat with mixture & seal. Add half a tin chopped tomatoes, a spoonful of tomato paste, dilute with water & simmer until consistency you want.

The major difference between home & (UK) restaurant curries is the addition of methi (dried fenugreek leaves) at the end of cooking.

In restaurants oil is sometimes added to the finished dish to give the impression that it's separated from the dish during cooking.

I,m with Kwacka on this one, the flavour I used to concoct does,nt beat Patak's but we use the 'Kashmiri' which is hot Embarassed Then the same ingredients after. Its always a winner.

The difference is OH makes the rice and he makes it the Persian way (as he was born there) which is soaked for a couple of hours, wash till water is clear without breaking rice, boil for a couple of minutes until outer of rice is softened, then transfered to a large pan, a layer of rice put on top of tomato puree to in effect seal the bottom, then the remaining part cooked rice piled in a pyrimad on top, seal the lid on with a clean kitchen towel, and cook on hob on low heat for twenty minutes. Once done transfer to large serving dish add a couple of knobs of butter, and you will have Iranian rice, plus hopefully the 'hard rice' will come out whole, I,m not a fan of the hard rice but it usually disappears fast in this house.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:24 am Reply with quote
Janie

Ok everyone here are the recipes

Minted Onion Bhajis

Ingredients
125g Gram Flour
1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1/4-1/2 tsp Ground Coriander
1/4-1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
1 tbsp Chopped Fresh Mint
salt and pepper
4 tbsp Strained thick Yoghurt
65ml cold water
1 large onion peeled quarted and thinly sliced
vegetable oil for frying
Mint Sprigs to garnish

Method
Put the gram flour into a bowl add the cayenne pepper, coriander, cumin and mint and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the yoghurt, water and sliced onion and mix well together.
One-third fill a large deep frying pan with oil and heat until very hot. Drop heaped spoonfuls of the mivture a few at a time, into the hot oil and use two forks to neaten the mixture into rough ball-shapes.
Fry the bhajis until rich golden brown and cooked through, turning frequently. Drain on absorbent paper towels and keep warm while cooking the remainder in the same way. Serve hot or warm.

Garlicky Mushroom Pakoras

Ingredients

175g Gram Flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Cumin Seeds
1/2-1 tsp Chilli Powder to taste
200ml water
2 Garlic Cloves, peeled and crushed
1 small Onion, peeled and finely chopped
vegetable oil, for deep frying
500g button mushrooms trimmed and wiped ( i quarter mine if they are big mushrooms)

To Garnish
lemon wedges
coriander leaves

Method

Put the gram flour, salt, baking powder, cumin and chille powder into a bowl and mix well together. Make a well in the centre of the mixture and gradually stir in the water, mixing to form a batter.
Stir the crushed garlic and chopped onion into the batter and leave the mixture to infuse for 10 minutes. One-third fill a deep-fat fryer or pan with vegetable oil and heat to 180c or until hot enough to brown a cube of day old bread in 30 seconds. Lower the basket into the hot oil.
Meanwhile mix the mushrooms into the batter, stirring to coat. Remove a few at a time and place then into the hot oil. Fry for about 2 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels while cooking the remainder in the same way. Serve hot, sprinkle with coarse salt and garnish with lemon wedges and coriander sprigs.

* You can get gram flour in the supermarkets here its in a orange and yellow pkt

Peshwari Naan

Ingredients

50ml warm water
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp active dried yeast
500g strong white flour
1/2 tsp salt
50ml natural yoghurt
2 crisp, green apples, peeled, cooked and pureed
60g sultanas
60g flaked almonds
1 tbsp coriander
2 tbsp grated coconut

Method
Combine the water and suger in a bowl and sprinkle over the yeast. Leave for 5-10 minutes, until the yeast has dissolved and the mixture is foamy.
Put the flour and salt into a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the yeast mixture and yogurt to the bowl. Draw the flour into the liquid, until all the flour is absorbed. Mix together, adding enough tepid water to form a soft dough, about 150mls.
Turn out on to a floured board and knead for 10 mins until smooth and elastic. Put into an oiled bowl, cover with a cloth and leave for 3 hours in a warm place, or in the fridge overnight. Line the grill with foil shiny side up.
Divide the dough into 4 pieces roll each piece out to a 20cm oval.
Pull one end into a teardrop shape, about 5 mm thick. Lay on a floured surface and stab all over with a fork.
Brush both sides of the bread with oil. Place under a preheated grill at the highest setting. Cook for 3 mins turn the bread over and cook for a further 3 mins. It should have dark brown spots all over.
Spread a teaspoonfull of the apple puree all over the bread, then sprinkle over quarter of the sultanas the flaked almonds the coriander leaves and the coconut. Repeat with the other 3 ovals of dough.

I usually make all these together with the curry recipe and aromatic rice recipe i gave you, if we are having friends around for dinner and it goes down a treat with everyone give them a try its a yummy dinner party Very Happy Very Happy

Post: #12   PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:54 pm Reply with quote
dawnnett

Thank you Janie
and evetyone else who have posted thier recipes
Dawn

Post: #13   PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Janie

Your welcome Dawnnett Very Happy hope you enjoy making them Very Happy

Post: #14   PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
dawnnett

Over the last few weeks iv tried all your currys Very Happy
So thanks to all of you who posted
My latest one which is on the hob now is Mamtas Kitchen Basic curry sauce then i tart it up with other spices and fresh herbs ...very nice

Thanks again
Dawn Very Happy

Post: #15   PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Gashead

My maid is indian and makes awesome chicken curry. Curry leaves are what makes it special. I'm sure you can grow them in Cyprus.

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote
marion
Pictures: 4

Going to have this later on... it's gorgeous so I thought I'd share:

Chingri Malai Curry (King prawns in sweet coconut curry)

Pot 1: 4 cloves
Pot 1: 2.5cm cinnamon stick
Pot 1: tsp granulated sugar
Pot 1: 1 bay leaf

Pot 2: 1 large onion + 1cm root ginger + 3 cloves garlic - all peeled, chunked then pureed

Pot 3: 1 tsp chilli powder
Pot 3: 1 tsp turmeric powder
Pot 3: 1 medium tomato, chopped small

1 tbsp mustard oil
1 tbsp sunflower/groundnut/corn/safflower oil
1 x 400ml can coconut milk
400g raw shelled king prawns
salt

Method
Heat both oils in large frying pan on high heat. When hot, add Pot 1.

When sugar caramelises, add Pot 2. Fry over high heat, stirring regularly for about 15 minutes. The paste will lose its pungent smell and turn a pale brown.

Add Pot 3. Keep frying and stirring for about 20 minutes until the mixture oozes oil, is smooth, and tastes cooked.

Add coconut milk. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

Add prawns and stir gently for 5 minutes until cooked.

Add salt to taste.

Serve with your favourite rice.

Note:
Mustard oil substitute: use 1 tbsp of other oil. Add 1 tsp wholegrain mustard with the coconut milk.

Enjoy
Marion

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Cypriot Recipes & Music