Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Moving Diaries » Roseanne's moving Diary - a move from Florida to Frenaros
Roseanne's moving Diary - a move from Florida to Frenaros 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quote
CyprusForMe
Pictures: 0
Location: Having escaped the near-death experience of Sofia Bulgaria, happily living in Frenaros

My house is essentially finished in Frenaros and so it's about time for me to start my moving diary. I'm moving from Melbourne Florida USA to Frenaros. And this will be quite a challenge because right now I am working in Sofia Bulgaria. I'm a single gal so this is a solo effort, unless anyone else wants to join in on the fun.

When I originally started the process of buying a property in Cyprus almost 2 years ago, one of the things I did was to contact moving companies in Cyprus. They put me in contact with companies in Florida and I contacted a few of them to get estimates of moving a 20ft container. Originally I was thinking of packing everything except the furniture myself but found that the moving company would not insure anything I packed myself. It turns out that the cost of the moving company doing the packing was not significant and well worth the money (to save me all that time and backbreaking work). While I was in the US for Christmas, the moving company sent someone over to survey everything that I want to move. I should have a response from them soon.

I'm also researching Cyprus laws regarding importation of personal goods from a non-EU country. It seems that the moving company requires information that conflicts with the documents I am getting from Cyprus customs and immigration. One of the items that the moving company says that I have to provide is a letter from my employer stating that I no longer work for them in the USA and this letter has to be signed by the embassy of Cyprus in the US. I personally went to the Cypriot embassy in Washington DC and they had no idea what I was talking about and referred me back to the immigration department. Rolling Eyes Got to love bureaucracy.

Stay tuned for more administrative updates.

The actual move won't be until April or May. Right now I have my house in Florida up for sale (in a bad market) and am hoping for a reasonable sales price. I know I won't get what I want for it, which is the value I used to base my calculations on for this move to Cyprus. That's one of the reasons I have had to continue working longer in the near-deathg experience called Bulgaria.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:36 pm Reply with quote
kipper889
Pictures: 5

Thanks for starting your moving diary CFM,

Looking forward to reading more.

Good luck.

Ruth

Post: #3   PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:01 am Reply with quote
genesispropertycare
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hi

Good luck with everything and hope all goes smoothly. Look forward to your updates.

Regards

Lynn
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:31 pm Reply with quote
CyprusForMe
Location: Having escaped the near-death experience of Sofia Bulgaria, happily living in Frenaros

Well, good news and bad news. Crying or Very sad The moving company estimated that I have more stuff than what would fit in a 20 ft shipping container. They estimate I need a 30 ft container but the next size is 40 ft so I would have extra space in the container. Very Happy The good news is that they quoted me a price for the 40ft container and then came back and decreased the price by $360. Now I have to decide whether I should get rid of 1/3 of my stuff (that's in addition to what I already plan to get rid of) or bite the bullet and pay the extra for the 40ft container. I suppose I could just get more "stuff" so I could fill up the container.

I'm actually toying with the idea of bringing over my 1974 MGB since there will be room in the container. It's left-hand drive, but it's such a small car, it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Not sure if I could get it to pass any tests there in Cyprus. I wonder if Cyprus has a special category for Classic cars. This car is considered a Classic car in the US.

House in Florida is now on the market. Hope it sells by 1 April.

More fun and games to come as the moving date gets closer.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:12 am Reply with quote
CyprusForMe

Big excitement in the move department!!! Very Happy Very Happy

My house in Florida is under contract and the sale will be complete on 11 June. The movers are coming on 4-8 June to pack and load and I have a sail date for the cargo ship - 18 June. My shipment is scheduled to arrive in Limassol on 14 August. So lucky me - I will get to spend one of the hot August days clearing my shipment through customs and finally moving into my home in Frenaros. I had expected the cost to decrease slightly with the big drop in the Euro, but no such luck. The big cost is on my end here in the US and paid in US dollars.

I've got shades installed in my house on the lower floor, nothing yet on the first floor because I have shutters. I will wait until I get to Cyprus permanently to sort that all out.

I did find out that I can have my mail forwarded from the US to Cyprus - one of the little known services of the US Postal Service. Finally, I will get something for all my tax dollars. Rolling Eyes

So things are finally moving along. Everything has been moving at a snail's pace. Now things will speed up and then I will have to slow down again while the ship is sailing across the Atlantic.

Lots of administrative things to do - notify everyone of address change, close bank accounts, etc.

Frenaros here I come!!! Cool Cool Cool

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:21 am Reply with quote
pantheman

Here's wishing you a smooth transition and may your stay here be all that you wished for.

All the best.

Pan
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:52 am Reply with quote
CyprusForMe

House in FL is SOLD!!!! Yippee!

The movers came and packed everything (well, almost everything). They estimated that it would take 3 days, but they brought and extra man the firts day and it only took a day and a half. Those guys worked hard! I rewarded them with several bottles of anejo rum (couldn't bring any of my liquor Crying or Very sad ). It was HOT - 40 C and super high humidity. I am exhausted!

Spent 2 days cleaning the house and doing some touch-up painting and now the money is iin the bank. Sold my beloved MGB and VW Passat too.

Now all my worldly possessions, of which I have too many, are on a ship to Limassol with an ETA of 14 August. The next step will be to quit my job and get to Cyprus to clear the shipment through customs and then move into the house.

Strangely enough, I do not feel excited. I fell relieved that my house sold - the market is terrible in Florida. I think I just have too much on my mind to feel excited. Organizing this move by myself has been quite a challenge. The moving company was fabulous but still required involvement on my part.

So now I am sitting out the next two months here in Bulgaria with the Ukrainian Mafia Scottish Fold kitten, Fishka, until the cargo ship arrives in Limassol. Fishka has it easy - she has no responsibilities in this endeavour.

Ahh, there's absolutely nothing more fun than moving a household in 40 C heat and high humidity, which was the case in Florida and which I expect will be the case in Cyprus in mid-August.

Roseanne

Post: #8   PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:16 am Reply with quote
CyprusForMe

Well, the move is getting closer. I have my plane ticket now and will arrive on 6 August with Fishka, the Ukrainain Mafia Scottish Fold cat. She is not looking forward to the flight. First I have to have my vet check her out (no big deal) and then I have to go with the vet to the Bulgarian Vet service to get a certificate saying that she is healthy and is coming from an EU country. So lots of running around with the cat.

I suspect madness will ensue once I get to Cyprus with a visit to customs to clear my shipment, a visit to the immigration office, getting insurance, looking to buy a car, getting TV and internet set up. Just can't wait. I'll be sleeping on an air mattress until my goods arrive. I hope that Fishka won't claw holes in it.

You should see all the paperwork I have gathered for the various agencies - 2 copies of everything they've asked for just in case. My theory is that bureaucrats love paperwork so I have tons for them.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:44 am Reply with quote
Santorini Paul 1

I take my hat off to you.
Paul.

Post: #10   PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:30 am Reply with quote
Wulfrunia

Phew, I second that Paul!

Like you we are moving to Frenaros in August. We are still waiting for the final date to become clear.

By we I mean me, my husband, 2 cats and a staffie.

We've got the removals and the transportation of the pets arranged, provisionally booked and paid for.
I THINK I've thought of everything we are going to need but still wake up in the middle of the night going over it all in my mind.

My main concern is that we have had to go ahead and assume the sale of our house is going to go through as we had too much major stuff to organize which couldn't wait till we had exchanged contracts, big, big, worry. There's only us, the couple who are buying our house and the young man (still living with his parents) who is buying theirs so,all extremities firmly crossed, we haven't taken too big a risk.

But the thought of having to do this on my own, with 3 countries involved fills me with the deepest admiration for you Roseanne, I hope it all goes well for you and we bump into each other in Frenaros in the not too distant future.

Judith

Post: #11   PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:34 am Reply with quote
Steve - SJD
Site Admin
Site Admin
Pictures: 55

Best of luck to you all!

Although daunting - it won't be long before you are sitting having a
cool one while the sun sets on your new home.

Cheers

Steve

Post: #12   PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:43 am Reply with quote
CyprusForMe

Judith,

Good luck to you too. Maybe you can e-mail me and tell me where in Frenaros you are moving to. Maybe we will be neighbors.

Hope the sale of your house goes smoothly. Mine took a long time to sell, but once it did, things moved quickly. So far the moving company has been fantastic and I have been in contact with the agent in Limassol who will help clear my shipment through customs and then deliver the shipment to Frenaros. The only problem I have encountered is that the shipping company in the US did not tell me that I had to pay some additional fees in Cyprus, so I now have an additional 400 Euros to hand over to clear the shipment. Mad

I really didn't want to do this in the heat of August but I had no choice. It was incredibly hot in Florida in the beginning of June when I did all the packing and loading. Oh well. Hot Anyway, I figure that the actual delivery of my household ggods to Frenaros will be around the 1oth of August. So just look for the really large container and that will be me!!! Wave

Fishka will be interested in meeting your cats. I am getting another Scottish Fold when I get to Cyprus. So I will have 2 cats too.

BTW, what's a staffie?

Roseanne

Post: #13   PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:48 am Reply with quote
Santorini Paul 1

Roseanne,
Do you have the unloading of the container included in the removal costs. I remember reading on here that you only have a short period of time to unload the container once it arrives at you house.
Paul.

Post: #14   PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:56 am Reply with quote
CyprusForMe

Thank you Paul. I do. They called it door-to-door service and I have already discussed this with the agent ini Cyprus. The shipping agent in Cyprus explained that they have to have the container back to the port in a specifica amount of time (7 days I think).

It should be faster to unload than load. There is no way that I will be able to unpack and put everything away immediately. I'm planning on having the moving men put all the furniture together and in place and haul away the cardboard and boxes from the furniture. Then I will unpack the rest myself at my own pace. So, needless to say, I will have boxes available after I unpack if people want them. I'll post a message on items for sale and wanted on this message board when I have the boxes available.

Roseanne

Post: #15   PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:39 am Reply with quote
CyprusForMe

Well, the day has arrived, more or less. Tomorrow Fishka, the Ukrainian mafia cat, and I fly from Sofia to Larnaca just to enjoy the awful heat in Cyprus. Hopefully, the weather will be bearable when my household goods are delivered.

Yesterday I went to the Bulgaria Veterinary Services in Sofia to get a certificate stating that Fishka is who she says she is (microchip verified) - those Ukrainian mafia cats are known to have aliases - and that she is coming from Bulgaria. This is apparently necessary even though she has an EU pet passport because I am not an EU citizen. I may not need it, but better safe than sorry.

To get this certificate, in true Soviet fashion (yes, I know Bulgaria is know an EU country, but established bureaucracy has tremendous inertia), I had to:

1. Go to my vet and get her to examine Fishka and stamp her pet passport saying she was in good health
2. Go to the Sofia Vet Services office with Fishka where the man there verified her microchip and filled out many forms and stamped many forms.
3. Then the Vet Services man gave me the forms and sent me to another office. I paid the lady in this office the equivalent of about 3 Euros and she stamped the forms the man gave me, filled out some forms of her own, stamped her forms, gave me her forms and some of the forms the man gave me.
4. Then I had to go back to the Vet Services man with all the forms. He stamped some more, logged some more forms, and finally gave me 2 copies of a Veterinary Certificate for Fishka. In the first line of the form, the man had written "DOG".
5. So the man had to change all the copies of the form (his and mine) to say "CAT" and there was more stamping.
6. Finally, everythng was done.

This entire bureaucratic comedy took about 2 hours. And pour Fishka was not happy about being hauled all over the place in her carrier. Plus, a thunderstorm developed in the middle of all this and this upset Fishka even more.

I hope Fishka will be calm on the plane.

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Roseanne's moving Diary - a move from Florida to Frenaros 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Moving Diaries