Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat » July last year! Dave was 40 and we drove to Cyprus!
July last year! Dave was 40 and we drove to Cyprus! 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:54 am Reply with quote
andywise
Pictures: 0

Took us just over 2 weeks!!!!!
We had such an adventure.........and near moments when we did not make it
Via Rotterdam/Brussels/Luxemborg/Stasborg/ Switzerland/And a most amazing weekend in Venice!...........We adored Greece ! Ventured into Turkey .................our first and last time!
Nothing like this planned for my 50th in August. I am just so content to be at Governor's for the summer.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:02 am Reply with quote
AskCy
Pictures: 18

so thats how long it takes... have always wondered if I just pointed that car at dover how long it would take me...

Bet there are plenty of memories, photos and adventure from a journey like that !

How do you top that though ?... next trip to the moon using soap bubbles?

Steve

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:28 am Reply with quote
cansweet
Pictures: 1

Well done, i'd love to do it on a Harley Clap
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
sandyoap

Well there's nothing to stop you cansweet. You can take some photos for the forum along the route!

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
JonGill

Hi - very interested to know which ferry you got the car across on? Was it from Turkey to the North and through, or a differerent way?

I drove back to UK from Dubai a few years ago - would love to drive to our villa in Xylophagou, from Germany where we are based at the moment.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:51 pm Reply with quote
DAC
Pictures: 9

Sounds great.

This is something that I believe that many people would love to do. Not wanting to put any pressure on you, but when you get time would you be so kind as to post an itinerary of what you done, where you went, where you stayed, time frames, rough costs Etc. Etc.

We'd love to drive down to Cyprus so any experiences would be greatly appreciated. Did you go through Albania...?

Thanks

Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:26 pm Reply with quote
MCM Carrington
Membership Closed

Yes, I would be interested in all the above too, it must have been a great trip, one of a lifetime.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #8   PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:54 pm Reply with quote
pav
Pictures: 17

sandyoap wrote:
Well there's nothing to stop you cansweet. You can take some photos for the forum along the route!

of your sore ass Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

From Germany to southern Cyprus 
Post: #9   PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:51 am Reply with quote
andywise

JonGill wrote:
Hi - very interested to know which ferry you got the car across on? Was it from Turkey to the North and through, or a differerent way?

I drove back to UK from Dubai a few years ago - would love to drive to our villa in Xylophagou, from Germany where we are based at the moment.

Guten morgan JonGill,
after Venice we had a ferry booked in Ancona a little further South!
Which was fab...........like a mini cruise. We arrived in w.greece at the port of Igoumenitsa and headed for Thesseloniki. Fab coast lots of campsites. Such friendly Greek people! Then we ventured into Turkey! Got lost in Istanbul but managed to get through b4 it went dark! Motored back towards the coast and
headed down towards Alanya! Quite an experience!
Leaving Turkey from Tasucuo was a pain in the bum as well as the wallet!
Never again! Entering Northern Cyprus was not pleasant either!
Then at the border into the south wasnt sure they would let us in!
Our new pal with a white van man had to go back and travel to Greece to enter S.Cyprus. Well that's our first and last time to Turkey!
All in all we had a fab time.
We have retired the old merc to Cyprus............but that cost us a bit! She even had a holiday to Greece and back without us! Please do not mention import duties etc! It took a couple of weeks to sort out.......what a pain..... and rather a drain!
Learning curve or what!
Across Europe on two wheels! 
Post: #10   PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:53 am Reply with quote
andywise

sandyoap wrote:

Go for it!
Turkish Ferry! 
Post: #11   PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:08 am Reply with quote
andywise

JonGill wrote:

Sorry I forgot to say the ferry to Northern Cyprus was totally horrendous.
It really was not fit for animals. I slept on a dirty deck at the feet of my husband. Covered from head to toe and the men still stared at me as though I was naked! suprised they could see me through all the ciggi smoke!
Eh up I got my own back...................My husband told me I awoke with the screaming abdabs hence startling them all and then I fell fast asleep. OOps!
It took us a while to plan..But only booked up to Greece. 
Post: #12   PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:12 am Reply with quote
andywise

DAC wrote:
Sounds great.

This is something that I believe that many people would love to do. Not wanting to put any pressure on you, but when you get time would you be so kind as to post an itinerary of what you done, where you went, where you stayed, time frames, rough costs Etc. Etc.

We'd love to drive down to Cyprus so any experiences would be greatly appreciated. Did you go through Albania...?

Thanks

Certainly.................we'll get back to you. Kanena problema!
More suggestions on how to top that! 
Post: #13   PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:15 am Reply with quote
andywise

AskCy wrote:
so thats how long it takes... have always wondered if I just pointed that car at dover how long it would take me...

Bet there are plenty of memories, photos and adventure from a journey like that !

How do you top that though ?... next trip to the moon using soap bubbles?

Steve

Sorry we were a bit slow!........but we were on holiday!
Really not fussed about the moon!

Post: #14   PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:50 am Reply with quote
JonGill

Mmmmmm!! Thanks for that! Food for thought - sounds interesting. Which crossing from north to south did you do?
Yo JonGill . 
Post: #15   PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
andywise

JonGill wrote:
Mmmmmm!! Thanks for that! Food for thought - sounds interesting. Which crossing from north to south did you do?

The Nicosia one! Then so glad to be heading home to Guv's.
We were so chuffed to have made it!
To cut a long story short we thought the Merc's transmission had gone just b4 Venice!.....thank goodness it was only a ball thingy in the back tyre. We had a blow out on the way to Ancona!!!!!!!
Do not misunderstand me .................so glad we went through Turkey but just would'nt do it again. Because of our Cypriot friends we have never wanted to go to Turkey but life is too short and his journey had to be different for his 40th!
So how do we top it for my 50th???? Maybe plans for moving over to Cyprus.
Eh up we talked about it today!

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Yo JonGill . 
Post: #16   PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quote
andywise

JonGill wrote:

I was based in Gutersloh back in the 80's with my first man! We moved to Wildenrath .............was great to be next to the Dutch border. I have friends from those days.............18 squadron who now live in N.Cyprus. Only been to their house once when the border opened for the Cypriots.
Where are you in Germany?
Eh up go for it.............................
But if you want to import a car do it through Greece and have all the connections you can to help you in L'sol Port. You have to have an agent!

Post: #17   PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:54 am Reply with quote
norm

This is a really great story and you have got a lot of people thinking of doing it now so well done!

Does anyone know if there would be any import type issue if we drive to Cyprus ( via Greece and thru the South Cyprus side) and keep and use the car in Cyprus for a couple of months before driving back to UK?

Also, if we did decide to drive the car to Cyprus and keep it there does anyone know of an agent who can help?

Thanks again.

Norm
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
Greetings from the Wirral! 
Post: #18   PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:26 pm Reply with quote
andywise

norm wrote:
This is a really great story and you have got a lot of people thinking of doing it now so well done!

Does anyone know if there would be any import type issue if we drive to Cyprus ( via Greece and thru the South Cyprus side) and keep and use the car in Cyprus for a couple of months before driving back to UK?

Also, if we did decide to drive the car to Cyprus and keep it there does anyone know of an agent who can help?

Thanks again.

Norm

ah shucks thanx for that..........We really want to do it again.
I would suggest you book it all over the internet. Return is cheapest. I will get back to you...........need to dig out the paper work. You do need to book your travel from Greece to Cyprus separately . You cannot travel with the car?????? unless your Russian or from Mars whatever!!!! LOL !
Its not as straight forward as you might think. But please do not be put off.Importing a car is rather costly as we know. Will try to get back to you soon.
All the bestest Andi and Dave from the Wirral/Governors

Post: #19   PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:52 pm Reply with quote
greeny

How many miles did you do.How much did petrol come to and ferry Jane Very Happy

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Coffee Shop Chat