Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Restaurants / Bars & Clubs in the Larnaca Area » Dissappointing Dinner
Dissappointing Dinner 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:46 am Reply with quote
TonyG
Pictures: 0

I went out for dinner to a well known taverna in Pervolia last night. The meal was quite good and a number of dips and pitta bread were served as a complimentary first course. All was fine until I went to pay at the cash desk. Whilst waiting for the bill to be totted up, I had a good view of the kitchen and could see all the cooks working away preparing meals for their customers. One of the waitresses squeezed by me, she was clearing one of the tables and placed all the crockery down on the kitchen table. She then picked up one of the half eaten dips, scraped the left overs onto a clean plate, added another spoonful of fresh dip onto it, stirred it round and then served the whole thing to the next customer. Times may be hard and wasting food is frowned upon in some circles but what she did turned my stomach. You just don't know what goes on in some kitchens.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:52 am Reply with quote
Richard.G

I think the last sentence of your post says it all Tony.
Luckily we don't know what goes on in not just some but I'd dare say many kitchens and if we want to carry on eating out it's best it remains that way.

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:27 am Reply with quote
MrsBouvier
Pictures: 28

Down Down Down Down Down SHOCKED!!!

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:57 am Reply with quote
devil
Pictures: 1

This kind of thing is a standard practice in many restaurants, just as much as having your food spat upon if the waiter/ress deems you unpleasant.

Some restaurants keep a pig to take all the leftovers but food scrap is a problem for those that don't, especially in hot weather. It is therefore naturally human to minimise unnecessary wastage.

This leads to another problem. Traditionally, servings in Cyprus are over-generous and the average main meal served produces 200-500 g of waste. What can be done about that? Not much: if the servings are reduced, then the restaurant is considered mean and loses business. We often ask for a doggy bag if suitable food for the dog is left (and, yes, it is the dog which gets it!!!! He got half-a-dozen keftedhes the other day!).

Re tahini, hummus, taromasalata and suchlike. Your table gets a platter for each of these and the four of you happily dip your pita bread into them, without a qualm. The people who come in after you have the same platter topped up. They may or may not know that you have dipped into it, the same as you may or may not know that someone else has dipped before you. Does it really make a difference if the others before or after you were sitting at the same table, you wouldn't think twice about sharing with them, so why not at a different table? In any case, it is considered bad manners to dip into the platter; these usually have a teaspoon in them and you are supposed to spoon out the requisite quantity on your plate and dip into that.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:06 am Reply with quote
MrsBouvier
Pictures: 28

devil wrote:
Does it really make a difference if the others before or after you were sitting at the same table, you wouldn't think twice about sharing with them, so why not at a different table?
I understand where you are coming from but aside from spreading germs (you may know full well you are carrying a cold or other such germ and would avoid sharing your own food with others if asked by people sitting at your table or any other for that matter!), the restaurant are cashing in on you...you have paid for the food, so why are they charging the next customer again....are you saying you would be perfectly happy with this arrangement? Confused Shocked

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote
beersmaggie

TonyG, that wouldnt be the first on the left would it Question
Maggie Larnaca
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #7   PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:33 am Reply with quote
Ken of Kiti
Pictures: 6

Hey Tony G,

Reference your disappointing meal.

Would it be asking too much of you to be a bit more precise and name and shame the restaurant you were in. At the moment it could be any of the restaurants in Pervolia. You would be doing us a service by doing that, the same as other people name and praise good service.

It seems a waste of time bringing up such a topic if you are not willing to go the full nine meters. I personally am not amused at the thought of getting another tableís leftoverís whatever the situation.

Ken

Post: #8   PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
TonyG

I am reluctant to name the taverna as I do not wish to held responsible for any downurn in trade however I can say that it was not the Sunrise, Pervolia or the taverna on the corner.....not many more to choose from..

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

dips 
Post: #9   PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:38 pm Reply with quote
kokkinos

hi after reading this post glad i never do dips all you need is a main meal and a keo..
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #10   PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Christo

You don't do dips? Shocked

So how do you know your not getting somebodys left over Lamb Chop? or Chips?

Chris

Post: #11   PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Santorini Paul 1

The reason I would not want to share someone elses dip is in the name. Who knows what has been dipped. I have certainly used a finger before and a well licked fork if it's just the wife and I. Can you imagine a baby or toddler dunking his favourite bit of well gummed bread in it and you getting it next. Bloody disgusting. They should be shot and named and shamed. Does the dip get binned at the end of the day?
Paul.

Post: #12   PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:16 am Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

I have used this establishment before and it is a cheap and cheerful place. You order a main course and they provide you with free dips and pitta as a starter. If you don't order a sweet they usually bring a free plate of seasonal fruit. It has always struck me as not very clean and the toilets are small and grim but I've not been ill after eating there.
What has been reported doesn't surprise me and I would guess it is a fairly common, if unwelcome procedure in many restaurants.

Post: #13   PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:05 am Reply with quote
beersmaggie

Well since we dont bloody well know what Taverna you are talking about its all pie in the sky.

TonyG, dont start rumours if you arent prepared to name where you mean. If its where I think you mean, then I am surprised. The kitchens are spotless and like someone else said on this thread, I havent had a bad meal or been ill.

Now if its the one down by the church, then I wouldnt be at all surprised, the last time I saw in the kitchen there it was minging Exclamation Dont ask me the name of that one becaue Ive never been interested enough to eat there.......Maggie Larnaca

Post: #14   PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:09 am Reply with quote
Ken of Kiti
Pictures: 6

TonyG wrote:
I am reluctant to name the taverna as I do not wish to held responsible for any downurn in trade however I can say that it was not the Sunrise, Pervolia or the taverna on the corner.....not many more to choose from..

Itís a shame TonyG that you feel you cannot name and shame but it is your prerogative and we will have to respect you for that. In the same vein though, you did do the ďSunrise, the Pervoliana and the Taverna on the corner, PergosĒ a bit of a favour.

I personally like eating in Soutsas Tavern very much and would defininately recommend them but for those who donít know "the Taverna" that is being spoken about in Pervolia, it is probably advisable to give all the eating establishments in the village a wide berth as regards eating in any of them just to be on the safe side.

Ken

Dissappointing Dinner 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Restaurants / Bars & Clubs in the Larnaca Area