Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Cypriot Recipes & Music » BBQ Prawns
BBQ Prawns 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:18 pm Reply with quote
kipper889
Pictures: 5

Wasn't sure where to put this but I need some advice.

I am cooking some large King prawns on the barbie tomorrow while the weather is good.

Never done it before, usually stick to the same old chicken/pork and lamb skewers.

I have come accross a recipe which simply sticks them on a skewer after marinading in garlic butter, looks delicious.

But... I have always thought that king prawns should be peeled and deveined.

Any advice?

Ruth

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Christo
Pictures: 0

Ruth,

don't peel them first....and don't skewer them.

Wash them , lay them on one of those BBQ grilling grate thingys. Brush them with a mix of Olive Oil and Lemon juice.

They don't need very long either. I recommend about 5mins. max. each side.

Chris

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:38 pm Reply with quote
kipper889

Thanks Christo, but I'm worried about that horrid black (pooie) thing they have inside? Won't it put my dinner guests off?

Ruth

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Christo

Laughing Ruth,
Whos coming, the Queen?

In my opinion, the fun of eating Prawns is the peeling and getting all messy. The Black pooi thing will be removed as they are peeled, and it won't do any harm anyway.

Not dissing your guests, but there is a proper way to peel Prawns. With your permission I will try and describe the way to do it.

Take the Prawn by each end with the back facing down, (towards the plate). Gently straighten it out. Move your Right fingers up towards the head and hold just below the Gilly things. With your Left fingers, pull off the head. This may reveal what I think you mean, (Black pooi), this just wipes off on the plate. Now move Left fingers down to just below the tail. With Right fingers, pull off tail.

Now.....turn Prawn, still with back facing down, but from Horizontal to Vertical. With Left fingers on the left, Right fingers on the right, Peel back its Coat for want of a better word. The nice clean meaty bit will reveal itself. Put a couple of little bowls of a dressing, I like Olive Oil and Lemon and perhaps a smidgeof Garlic on the table, and people just dip and eat.

You might also want a couple of finger bowls to rinse off fingers as they go.

Hope that makes sense, and you don't think I am being condiscending. Wish I was coming Very Happy

Chris

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quote
kipper889

Ha Ha Christo,

HRH is not invited, I only have the finest at my dinner parties. Wink

Thanks for taking the time, but I do know how to peel a prawn, I was just wondering if I should do it pre-cooking. Laughing

You have, however, persuaded me that I needn't bother. Like you I think the fun is in getting stuck in and doing it straight from the barbie. I may also provide some sweet chille dipping sauce. How does that sound?

I am trying an all seafood BBQ tomorrow for a change, including swordfish kebabs and pourkouri. You are welcome to come, can you be here for 4pm? You can do the cooking. Very Happy I'll provide the whites.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Christo

The Prawn peeling wasn't for your benefit Ruth, you would be surprised how many people get in a flap when it comes to peeling Prawns.

I think the beauty of Prawns is that any flavour seems to suit, so go for sweet chilli as well, have a selection. Tartare sauce?

All sounds yummy, and if I wasn't going to a wedding tomorrow I would be there like a shot, thanks for the invite. Have a great time.

Chris

Post: #7   PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:58 pm Reply with quote
linda&bill

Ruth,

I am so jealous, barbarqued prawns are to die for.

Marinade or just chuck on bbq as Christo said,they'll be delicious. (no

need to peel, the best part is fiddling about to get the prize!)

Grill until they turn pink would be my advice.

I served beer steamed prawns on Christmas day a couple of years ago,

my younger kids could've done with Christo's peeling advice! Mr. Green
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #8   PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:09 pm Reply with quote
paul07
Pictures: 2

Christo wrote:

Take the Prawn by each end with the back facing down, (towards the plate). Gently straighten it out. Move your Right fingers up towards the head and hold just below the Gilly things. With your Left fingers, pull off the head. This may reveal what I think you mean, (Black pooi), this just wipes off on the plate. Now move Left fingers down to just below the tail. With Right fingers, pull off tail.

Now.....turn Prawn, still with back facing down, but from Horizontal to Vertical. With Left fingers on the left, Right fingers on the right, Peel back its Coat for want of a better word. The nice clean meaty bit will reveal itself.
Chris

Bloody Hell! Thats were I have being going wrong in the bedroom department, always had them face up lol
Paul Wink
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:03 am Reply with quote
LynSab
Pictures: 1

Ruth, Christo bless you both, I have a box of King Prawns given to me in the Freezer I was worried that I had to do this and that to BBQ them, now I can just 'throw a prawn on the barbie' and better still not look silly while eating them Rolling Eyes This Forum is the best Very Happy I would invite you too but let me first try em out Wink
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #10   PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quote
kipper889

Just an update,

My prawns didn't go to plan, I couldn't find any fresh raw prawns at any of my local shops on Saturday morning. Crying or Very sad

I did however find some large pre-cooked and deveined ones with tail shell still on. I threaded them onto skewers and made a spice mix with cinnamon, chilli flakes, garlic and onion powder. I coated the prawns with olive oil and the spice mix and threw them on the barbie. One minute each side. They were delicious.

I found this great utube video for an easy way to devein:

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Ruth

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Cypriot Recipes & Music