Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

 
Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

  Ads By Forum Sponsors

    
Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Restaurants / Bars & Clubs in the Larnaca Area » BarBela Dhekalia Rd Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic  Reply to topic   View previous topic : View next topic 
BarBela Dhekalia Rd 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:53 am Reply with quote
djdrh
Joined: 23 Oct 2005
Posts: 53
Pictures: 0
Location: larnaca

 
[Edit]



But if you fancy a drink before then pop in
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel


Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

 
Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:09 am Reply with quote
paul1978
Joined: 06 Jul 2007
Posts: 1434
Pictures: 0
Location: paralimni

 
3 quid for a drink? us poor locals cant afford that.

english management should no we are lowly paid in cyprus.

bars and restaurants need to understand they will make money by reducing prices and having a higher volume of clientele rather than been only quarter full for heavily priced food and drinks.

good luck to them anyway

_________________
If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail MSN Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:30 am Reply with quote
djdrh
Joined: 23 Oct 2005
Posts: 53
Pictures: 0
Location: larnaca

 
Sorry Paul
Perhaps I explained it wrong, and I know how expensive drinks can be as I work in Napa where a bottle of smirnof Ice is around 6 euro and up

On thursday when its bogof then you will get 2 pints for 3 euro or 2 jd and coke for 5 euro (now thats cheap even for us poorly paid uk ex pats)

Unlike many bars that do bogof offers and raise the price of the original drink BarBelas doesnt and their most expensive drink is 5 euro (this does not include bottles of absolute and champagne etc lol)

On wednesdays when all drinks are 3 euro if you drink Pints then i suppose its a little high but if you drink spirits its cheap as they only sell imported and not the local muck

At the end of the day your absolutely right and people will go wherever they feel welcome, Myself and my wife bith use a place in Larnaca in the winter (as we work in Napa in the summer) where the drinks are quite expensive (red wine, sambucca and a coke 9euro) but we love the place

As with all bars once your a regular then the odd freebie comes your way

PS did you sell me that toaster....its broken

Cheers
Dave
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:31 am Reply with quote
paul1978
Joined: 06 Jul 2007
Posts: 1434
Pictures: 0
Location: paralimni

 
yeah i work in napa too so no all about there ridiculous pricing stratergy, although there some bars there that are much cheaper than ones in kapparis and paralimni.

The pricing for spirits are good I drink JD and would pay that price.

as for your toaster - you sure you did not buy it from poplife Laughing

_________________
If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail MSN Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:29 am Reply with quote
DonnaA
Joined: 11 Jan 2006
Posts: 250
Pictures: 0
Location: Back in the UK

 
Is it normal for the staff of BarBela to offer free sambucca shots to underage kids????? I have a very ill teenager at home that has been given free drinks in BarBela for clapping the DJ!

Very very irresponsible of the bar owners - and its not just BarBela either, its all the bars along the strip serving alcohol to kids as young as 14!!!!

Where are the ID checks? Do they even exist? Do you bar owners even care?

I am not very happy at all, but am wondering what I can do? Hopefully my child will have learnt a very valuable lesson and with the hangover from hell, won't be doing it again for a good few years!

Wake up you bar owners, this kind of attitude is an accident waiting to happen.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:44 am Reply with quote
yhztolca
Joined: 31 Dec 2006
Posts: 611
Pictures: 1
Location: Cyprus

 
As much as I agree with your post DonnaA, I must question why a 14 year old would be in a night club or any kind of bar unattended by the parents to begin with? You're right.. ID checks should be done.. but not at the bar, they should be done at the door and anyone under 18 (or whatever age is legal) shouldn't be allowed thru the front doors.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #7   PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:59 am Reply with quote
DonnaA
Joined: 11 Jan 2006
Posts: 250
Pictures: 0
Location: Back in the UK

 
Just to clarify, it wasn't my 14 year old in the bar, it was my 17 year old. I'm just saying that kids as young as 14 are going into these bars and being served alcohol - yes they do look a lot older than 14, but that's largely irrelevent - ID checks should still be in force on the doors of these places. And to give free alcohol out is just completely irresponsible....

OK I except that my 17 year old would get like this sooner or later, and judging by the way she feels now, I very much doubt she will be doing it again in the very near future. Normally, she's the sensible one, I guess she left her sensible head at home last night!

It just really concens me that it is all so freely available.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #8   PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
djdrh
Joined: 23 Oct 2005
Posts: 53
Pictures: 0
Location: larnaca

 
Well,
thats a first
Someone complaining about Free drinks

[Edit Advertising Removed]
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel


Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

 
Post: #9   PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote
roxycy
Joined: 13 Sep 2008
Posts: 208
Pictures: 0

 
I didnt see it as someone complaining about free drinks I saw it as a concerned parent like me completely p*ssed off about all the bars along the strip letting kids in and serving them...
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #10   PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote
DonnaA
Joined: 11 Jan 2006
Posts: 250
Pictures: 0
Location: Back in the UK

 
I'm complaining about giving free drinks and serving alcohol to underage kids!!!! I know for a fact that there were 15, 16 and 17 year olds in there last night, and I also know for a fact that they were served alcohol and given free shots of sambouca..... my daughter was one of those 17 year olds and this is the first time she's ever come home in the state she was in last night.

I am disgusted by your attitude and your complete lack of any kind of responsibility - where are the ID checks?????? I am not naive enough to think that kids won't go to places such as BarBela and want to drink etc if they can get away with it, but where are the controls to stop the drinking??
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #11   PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Jan
Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 982
Pictures: 5
Location: Southport

 
Surely this bar can be in serious trouble with the Authorities for selling alcohol to under 18s and could have their licence taken off them?

Tesco Express here in the UK has just had it's licence taken off them for a time for being found to have sold alcohol to under 18s without checking any ID.

I would have thought that this is a serious matter.

_________________
Jan
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #12   PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
DonnaA
Joined: 11 Jan 2006
Posts: 250
Pictures: 0
Location: Back in the UK

 
Yes Jan, it is a serious matter, its just trying to get someone in authority to listen and then the bars taking some kind of responsibility..... rest assured, I won't be letting this drop.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #13   PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:57 pm Reply with quote
yhztolca
Joined: 31 Dec 2006
Posts: 611
Pictures: 1
Location: Cyprus

 
go straight to the chief of police in Larnaca.. don't bother with our local police station in Oroklini, they're useless. Go straight to the head honcho. Hope you get them to listen to you casue yes I do agree it's crazy and they should have mandatory id checks at the door. Good Luck DonnaA, let us know how you get on!
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #14   PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Tina Torment
Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 3546
Pictures: 0

 
Donna, I'm appalled not just at the pathetic attitude of DJ-what's his face but the fact that this bar and others could be acting in an extremely dangerous, irresponsible manner. This isn't just about underage kids getting off their faces on drink which inevitably will result in a death sooner or later but the repercussions are young girls, and boys too, will get themselves in to a vulnerable situation they cannot handle because they're CHILDREN!

It's absolutely no excuse for ANY bar owners to say that the child looked over 18. Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law. Kids will be kids and try all sorts of sneaky tricks to stay out late such as sleeping at a friends houses whose parent's think that their child is sleeping at yours and so on. Customers of a questionable age should have ID checks. If bar owners cannot do this then they shouldn't be in operation and their licenses should be revoked. Would these same bar owners be happy for their own children to be treated so irresponsibly.

What I find suspicious and worrying is WHY are kids being given free alcohol anyway? It's not good business practice as they're not exactly big spenders who will return time and again really is it? So, why are they enticing these kids with free alcohol.........what is their motive?

I would also have a word your mayor. I wrote our mayor recently over a concern I had and he wrote a letter to the Chief of Police who organised for an investigation!

This is definitely one club me and mine won't be visiting so thanks for the warning. Anyway, who wants to be surrounded by drunken kids lol!


Last edited by Tina Torment on Fri May 01, 2009 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #15   PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
lolly1101
Joined: 30 Apr 2009
Posts: 3
Pictures: 0

 
Hi All
I am new to the forum but this topic grabbed my attention as I am a barperson in Ayia Napa.

I know these things go on...for various reasons.

However,as with your quote
Quote:
Very very irresponsible of the bar owners - and its not just BarBela either, its all the bars along the strip serving alcohol to kids as young as 14!!!!

I believe it is wrong to be posting this discussion in this topic. You have yourself stated it is not only BarBela. Strange how it was this ONE bar that got YOUR daughter soooooo terribly drunk.

I am not defending this action however IMHO:

If she was offered drugs she would take them???
Wanna have sex??
Asked to jump off a cliff?? etc etc

Some of the responsibility MUST lie with HER. She may only be 17 however she knows right from wrong (as taught by her parents) and has the ability to open her mouth and say NO thanks.

This is a lesson she will probably not repeat for a while, but trying to put the blame soely on a bar, owner, server etc is just wrong. We (bar staff/owners etc) will take some of the responsibilty, however the remainder must lie with the drunk in the bar. (in this case your daughter).

I would also like to raise the point of FAKE ID's , how can this be stopped?
Someone mentioned the point of carding people , but in the Uk and no doubt here to, kids have been getting fake ID's for years. So this will not stop them entering bars illegally.

Tina to say you wont be going to a bar based soley on a view of one person who's daughter can not say no is IMO foolish. (no offence meant). Surely you should visit the bar and make your own opinion of it.

As I stated above I work in Napa so it is no consequence to me either way, but I feel this was a liitle unjust to a bar that is obviously trying to make Dhekalia Road a little more interesting.

Also I bet the bar owners are loving the fact that you have all jumped on this thread as the saying goes
"any publicity is good publicity" and I'm sure all the people who want cheap and /or free drinks will be visiting this bar!


Last edited by lolly1101 on Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel



Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

 
Post: #16   PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:04 pm Reply with quote
djdrh
Joined: 23 Oct 2005
Posts: 53
Pictures: 0
Location: larnaca

 
Tina.....Hi.....DJ Whats his face here
Firstly...... You state these are children.....
At 17 you are not a child
You can in fact fight in a war in a far away land and even get married
Although you still cannot drink leagally (in some countries)
I have worked in the entertainment industry since leaving the Forces and am offered free drinks every night all night, but in over 10 years have never gotten drunk, because i say no thanks I will have a bottle of water......Why......because i drive, and realise that I and I alone am responsible for my actions right or wrong (This was taught to me by my parents) and i in turn have passed it on to my kids, Perhaps more parents should do this instead of placing blame at the feet of others.

Secondly.......I dont believe there is any sinister motive in offering a free shot to anyone.....you make it sound like as soon as a young girl walks in she is jumped on and forced to drink copious ammounts of free alcohol......In fact MOST bars in cyprus will offer a free shot when a drink is purchased regardless of age or gender, In fact the most free drinks handed out last night were to a 73 year old man (with a great voice) and I dont think the bar owner had any evil designs on him

Lastly........You say i have a pathetic attitude..........How wrong you are.......I have a great attitude......Maybe a warped sense of humour.... BUT a Great attitude......ask my grown up kids, None of them will be too drunk to answer

Why not join us for a drink next wednesday.......
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #17   PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:37 am Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks
Joined: 15 Nov 2007
Posts: 2736
Pictures: 0
Location: Larnaca

 
djdrh wrote:
Tina.....Hi.....DJ Whats his face here
Firstly...... You state these are children.....
At 17 you are not a child
You can in fact fight in a war in a far away land and even get married
Although you still cannot drink leagally (in some countries)
I have worked in the entertainment industry since leaving the Forces and am offered free drinks every night all night, but in over 10 years have never gotten drunk, because i say no thanks I will have a bottle of water......Why......because i drive, and realise that I and I alone am responsible for my actions right or wrong (This was taught to me by my parents) and i in turn have passed it on to my kids, Perhaps more parents should do this instead of placing blame at the feet of others.

Secondly.......I dont believe there is any sinister motive in offering a free shot to anyone.....you make it sound like as soon as a young girl walks in she is jumped on and forced to drink copious ammounts of free alcohol......In fact MOST bars in cyprus will offer a free shot when a drink is purchased regardless of age or gender, In fact the most free drinks handed out last night were to a 73 year old man (with a great voice) and I dont think the bar owner had any evil designs on him

Lastly........You say i have a pathetic attitude..........How wrong you are.......I have a great attitude......Maybe a warped sense of humour.... BUT a Great attitude......ask my grown up kids, None of them will be too drunk to answer

Why not join us for a drink next wednesday.......

Laughing
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #18   PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:47 am Reply with quote
Tina Torment
Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 3546
Pictures: 0

 
lolly1101 wrote:
If she was offered drugs she would take them???
Wanna have sex??
Asked to jump off a cliff?? etc etc


And you assume that under the influence of vast quantities of alcohol any child is able to make informed choices? Precisely why it is against the law to serve alcohol to underage drinkers. Children are NOT able to make creditable choices which is WHY they are protected by the law. Next you'll be justifying peadophiles and place the onus on kids to say no!

Do you understand the meaning of law and why they are put in place? So that they can protect and serve the public. These bars are failing to do so and as such, should have their licenses revoked.

lolly1101 wrote:
Some of the responsibility MUST lie with HER.


Unfortunately, the law states otherwise......thank God! Children do not have the sense, wisdom or experience to realise that alcohol is dangerous.

lolly1101 wrote:
She may only be 17 however she knows right from wrong (as taught by her parents) and has the ability to open her mouth and say NO thanks.


Another assumption because after vast quanities of alcohol, ANY adult finds it difficult to make sensible, responsible choices. And this isn't about a 17yr old really is it. Re-read Donna's posts and you will see it's about children as young as 14 being served alcohol. This SERIOUS problem is being highlighted because some parents such as Donna have taken the initiative to warn other parents....a responsible attitude IMHO.

lolly1101 wrote:
I would also like to raise the point of FAKE ID's , how can this be stopped? Someone mentioned the point of carding people , but in the Uk and no doubt here to, kids have been getting fake ID's for years. So this will not stop them entering bars illegally.


Fake ID's......come on.... What a feeble excuse. In the UK my kids could not enter any club or bar without showing their passport. Anyway, this subject is irrelevant because either way you look at this argument the point is the bar isn't looking at ANY ID fake or otherwise. Why, because it isn't within their interest to do so.

lolly1101 wrote:
Tina to say you wont be going to a bar based solely on a view of one person who's daughter can not say no is IMO foolish. (no offence meant). Surely you should visit the bar and make your own opinion of it.


It isn't solely on the view of one person so please don't make more assumptions. There appears to be a history i.e. a bad reputation for this sort of practice along the strip. I haven't been to Afghanistan either but I don't need to visit it to know that it ain't a nice place lol!

lolly1101 wrote:
Also I bet the bar owners are loving the fact that you have all jumped on this thread as the saying goes
"any publicity is good publicity" and I'm sure all the people who want cheap and /or free drinks will be visiting this bar!


Lol! We'll see, Lolly........... Publicity can make or break a business, and gossip is the biggest form of information to police. Wink Let's see how long they continue to make lolly, Lolly! Laughing
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #19   PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:07 am Reply with quote
Tina Torment
Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 3546
Pictures: 0

 
djdrh wrote:
At 17 you are not a child


Wrong! Law states otherwise.

djdrh wrote:
but in over 10 years have never gotten drunk


That's because as an ADULT you have experience and wisdom. CHILDREN do not which is why laws are in place to protect them.

djdrh wrote:
(This was taught to me by my parents) and I in turn have passed it on to my kids, Perhaps more parents should do this instead of placing blame at the feet of others.


Ooh cutting. Donna and Martin are very responsible parents hence why they're highlighting this problem i.e. to make more parents aware. Also, you do realise don't you that not all children have responsible parents or even parents!? Not all children are as blessed as yours.

djdrh wrote:
I don't believe there is any sinister motive in offering a free shot to anyone.....you make it sound like as soon as a young girl walks in she is jumped on and forced to drink copious ammounts of free alcohol.....


Lol! Niave? Young, beautiful, intoxicated girls lure male customers and I give you credibility here for not being niave to think otherwise.

djdrh wrote:
Why not join us for a drink next Wednesday.......


Lol! No thanks. I'll decline your kind offer but prefer to spend my money somewhere that has a better reputation and takes a more responsible attitude as to who it serves alcohol to and until what state the customer is in?

I have lived in Napa quite a long time now and actually live amongst club owners who are friends and neighbours. In fact, in discussion with two of them last night, they're a little disgusted that not only 14yr olds are getting admittance and served alcohol in such bars but are CONTINUED to be served and NOT REFUSED when their intoxicated state is obvious. As one club owner said, some bars want custom at any cost and are willng to take the risk, sod the consequence! Worse is yet to come as the problem spirals because of the credit crunch.

I find it commendable that your loyalties are to your employer, however, you seem to be a little off track here about what defines a child from an adult. Quite simply the law. Your opinion does not matter in law and would hold as much water as a colander in court. I can assure you that in most places the age of admittance is 21yrs as you will well know and 14yrs old is way off the mark. Sorry mate, the buck stops with the bar on this one. Who continues to serve drinks to persons under age or otherwise who are quite literally drunk? Surely, your bar must have some policy or do they continue to serve until the person drops?

As for your parenting skills, well done you but you appear to have missed the point that the law is in place to PROTECT children and it's these bars working procedures who put them in the lions den so please don't protest. Instead take some positive action and responsibility yourself and warn your employer.......after all it will only be a matter of time before the law is enforced and when it is, will these places remain open? That must be a worry to you?
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
 
Post: #20   PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:20 am Reply with quote
Jan
Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 982
Pictures: 5
Location: Southport

 
Your comment that there is no such thing as bad publicity is stupid. We have been in that line for many years and bad publicity can and does kill a business stone dead.

Look at "Ratners" the jewellery chain for instance the Chairman had a laugh and said that his stuff was c**p and in a very short time the firm was bankrupt.

Perhaps this thread should be forwarded to the local Cypriot newspapers and let them show you how it can quickly close you down.

_________________
Jan
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
BarBela Dhekalia Rd 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Restaurants / Bars & Clubs in the Larnaca Area
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
  


All times are GMT  
Page 1 of 3  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next


  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic   
Search Tags: #BarBela #Dhekalia



 Facebook Page    Facebook Group    Our Channel    Cyprus eBay Search    Shopping To Cyprus    Contact Admin   SmartFeed RSS Feed



BUYING PROPERTY IN CYPRUS? PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOU SEEK INDEPENDENT LEGAL ADVICE FIRST.
Cyprus forum covering Kapparis, Protaras, Pernera, Agia Napa, Agia Thekla, Paralimni, Larnaca, Oroklini, Pervolia & surrounding areas
Please note that the views expressed on this forum are those of the author and may not reflect the views of the management.
* Problems Logging In? Click To Contact Us | Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group Design Style: VTrushkin | View Lo-Fi Version