Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools » private schools
private schools 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quote
pantheman
Pictures: 0

Don't suppose anyone could point me in the direction of a list of private schools in the Famagusta District by any chance??? Pleaseeeee.

Larnaca would also be appreciated Embarassed Embarassed

Thanks
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:54 pm Reply with quote
marion
Pictures: 4

I've got a few listed in the education section of my essentials page at
www.kapparis.info/essentials/

Also see
http://cyprus.angloinfo.com/af/250/cyprus-schools-and-schooling.html

HTH, Marion

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Jewels
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Hi

Famagusta Area

Xenon high school is in Paralimni it is a private school lessons are taught in English or greek.

http://www.xenion.ac.cy/default.html

Ayios Nikolaos is on the base but it is very hard to get non entitled children in and they follow the british national curriculum, school fees are high aswell.

www.aynikprimary.sceschools.com

Larnaca Area

The schools in Larnaca are Med high and Junior
http://medhigh.com/

and American Academy

www.academy.ac.cy/

There is Dhekelia primary school which is on the base
www.dhekelia.sceschools.com

and King Ricard secondary school on the Dhelelia base too, again fees are high and hard to get non entitled children in.

www.kingrichard.sceschools.com

HTH

Julie

Last edited by Jewels on Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:37 pm Reply with quote
pantheman

Many thanks to all for your help.

Cheers

Pan

Post: #5   PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:35 am Reply with quote
carolinem

You also have Pascal in Larnaca
CJ

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:56 am Reply with quote
Phil & Maria

I was just looking at the Med High fees - an example for Pre-Primary is 2,500 Euros. Is that per term or is that for the whole year?

Post: #7   PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:53 pm Reply with quote
lindask

Phil and Maria--well done in asking questions about your childs education before you make the move.
From experience -the bases schools follow the uk curriculum-as a normal uk comprehensive school,and charge 3 times the price of the private schools -(I'm talking a good few years back!)
The private schools are the better option-both financially and in terms of your childs friends--on the bases kids move on after the 2/3 year posting and a new lot move in.
I only have experience of the American Academy in Larnaca-a caring,pupils come first environment,with no 'extra' lessons in the afternoons or weekends-ok, it costs but there are bursaries available -if I was moving here now--I would honestly make the same choice,beans on toast for tea--but your kids have only the one chance of a decent education,good luck with your decision .

Post: #8   PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:08 am Reply with quote
Phil & Maria

lindask

Thanks for that, if you don't mind me asking, what are the AA fees currently, for pre school, if you know. I did notice tha the MedHigh times go right through the afternoon too, long day really but I guess if they are learning more...??

I am thinking to move, late next year, but my real concern is schooling and the little one! Oh and winning the lottery.... Very Happy

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:49 pm Reply with quote
don
Membership Closed

Phil & Maria

I know of quite a few families who have sent their kids to the AA and they have all graduated with the best paying jobs after Uni and they also got into some of the good University's as well.

The standards are that good I am going back 15 years though but have never heard a bad thing about the AA.

I think its more like the Eaton or Harrow of Cyprus, don't have any idea about the fees though or if there is an entrance exam to take.

One of the former students told me in conversation that the AA teach to Old English O' Level standards before GCSE's came out and that O'Level standards were much better than GCSE standards, as a non holder of either of the above certificates I would not know the difference.

Don

Phil & Maria wrote:
lindask

Thanks for that, if you don't mind me asking, what are the AA fees currently, for pre school, if you know. I did notice tha the MedHigh times go right through the afternoon too, long day really but I guess if they are learning more...??

I am thinking to move, late next year, but my real concern is schooling and the little one! Oh and winning the lottery.... Very Happy

Post: #10   PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Phil & Maria

Thanks Don, a grade A GCSE was equiv to a grade C old O levels....do you know as you move up the school do you have to take entrance exams. I understand you are not guaranteed a place in the various levels at MedHigh as you move from Junior to Senior etc

Post: #11   PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:07 pm Reply with quote
don
Membership Closed

Phil & Maria"

Don't know if they have entrance exams, but I do recall when we were trying to get my son into the Haberdasher's Aske boys school Sixth form in Elstree back in 2004, they wanted six straight A's in GCSE including Maths & English and then they would consider an interview with the teachers of the sixth form and an entrance exam in each of the subjects he wanted to do.

When we arrived there was a women from Cyprus who wanted her son to go to the same school as my son, so we got talking and I asked her what school her son had attended in Cyprus and it was the AA, I then asked how many GCSE's he had and it was then she told me 3 O'Levels only.

Her son passed all th entrance exams with flying colours and got into Habs as well with only 3 O'Levels where as mine had to have a min of 6 staright A's, it was then that I thought that the O'Level standard which the AA teach in Cyprus must be higher than our GCSE's our kids learn back in the UK.

Hope that helps you.

Don

Phil & Maria wrote:
Thanks Don, a grade A GCSE was equiv to a grade C old O levels....do you know as you move up the school do you have to take entrance exams. I understand you are not guaranteed a place in the various levels at MedHigh as you move from Junior to Senior etc

Post: #12   PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:24 pm Reply with quote
lindask

Phil and Maria---sorry,can't help with current fees ,my two finished there 12 and 14 years ago-they do have a website though.
Amarican Academy Larnaca is the one you want-not Limassol and Paphos .
Junior school through to senior is not 'guaranteed'-and moving up to the next class is dependant on a pass mark in end of year exams.
However,junior pupils seem to be automatically given preferential admittance,unless they are deemed unable to master senior school tuition.
Lynda

Post: #13   PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

Phil & Maria wrote:
I was just looking at the Med High fees - an example for Pre-Primary is 2,500 Euros. Is that per term or is that for the whole year?

yes............ the year. The junior school has an increasingly good reputation. pm me for more info as I have a child at the school.
private schools 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools