Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines » Help - can't get travel insurance - should I worry?
Help - can't get travel insurance - should I worry? 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:30 pm Reply with quote
winstanley59
Pictures: 0

Hi all - well - having made the decision to go to Cyprus in April I realised that my travel insurance annual policy would run out in March - I rang to renew and was refused cover as I have arrythmia ( heart rhythm irregularity, and it is unpredictable and I am ill when it occurs - had to be shocked last July ) ) and have been admitted to hospital a few times over the last while through A&E etc.

I have tried Preferrential, Age Concern etc - no go - well Preferrential will cover me for 2 weeks for over 500 !!!! I cannot afford that!

Is anyone else in the same boat? Do the folk who live in the Kapparis area have confidence in the local hospital's ability to look after them in an emergency situation?

I am not the age to sit in the corner but am so unsure what to do?

HELP !

Love from Heidi
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Jan
Pictures: 5

Hello,

Try looking on the British Heart Foundation website under insurance and they do give some advice. They say that most companies will require you to have the European medical card as well as private insurance.

http://www.bhf.org.uk/living_with_a_heart_condition/insurance.aspx

Give a couple of them a ring and good luck.

Post: #3   PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
kipper889
Pictures: 5

Not sure of your age but Saga do a fairly competetive insurance, although my mum and dad have said it has gone up considerably this year.

Ruth

Post: #4   PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:27 pm Reply with quote
May Wallace
Pictures: 9

Hi Heidi

I gave this link to Jinty a couple of weeks ago - for existing health problems

http://www.medicitravel.com/

Don't know if she tries it but might be worth a look.

HTH

May Wink
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:06 pm Reply with quote
winstanley59

Thanks everyone - I will be trying a variety of them on Monday xxx

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quote
DAC

Hi,

I use PJ Hayman to get cover for a pre-existing condition - Linky - and got a very good annual policy at a very reasonable rate.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Olivia

Hi there
My other half (with heart condition) gets fairly reasonable annual travel insurance with Saga.
Best wishes for a good deal. Olivia

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Tina Torment

Excuse my ignorance but does the EHIC not cover this? I thought it was valid for up to 3 months worth of emergency care? Confused

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:29 pm Reply with quote
DAC

Tina Torment wrote:
Excuse my ignorance but does the EHIC not cover this? I thought it was valid for up to 3 months worth of emergency care? Confused

The cover the EHIC provides

The EHIC can be used to cover any necessary medical treatment due to either an accident or illness within the European Economic Area and Switzerland. The card entitles the holder to state-provided medical treatment within the country they are visiting and the service provided will be the same as received by a person covered by the country's 'insured' medical scheme. This may not cover all of the services you would expect within the UK and you may have to make a contribution towards the care you receive.

The EHIC can also be used to receive treatment for pre-existing illnesses and chronic diseases, but conditions do apply so please check with your healthcare provider before you travel. Maternity care is covered by the EHIC whilst you are away, but if you are travelling to a country specifically to have a baby then you will need to complete an E112 form. Again, ask your healthcare provider for more information before you travel.

The EHIC may not cover persons for all medical costs incurred, so you are strongly advised to also arrange travel insurance to ensure that you are covered for all possible eventualities. Furthermore, you will not be covered by an EHIC if the main purpose of your travel is to receive medical treatment.

The EHIC is valid within the European Economic Area, which includes the European Union countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. Switzerland also has an agreement in place with the European Union to accept the EHIC.

The following countries are covered by the EHIC:

Austria, Belgium, Cyprus (not including Northern Cyprus), Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
Help - can't get travel insurance - should I worry? 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines