Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools » HELP/ADVICE Local greek school term dates & eating habbi
HELP/ADVICE Local greek school term dates & eating habbi 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:47 pm Reply with quote
MrsBouvier
Pictures: 28

Hi,

We are moving to Kapparis in 10 days and our son will start school at Paralimini D4 and our daugther will be going to the kindergarten school near the police station...does anyone have the confirmed(?!) term dates for either or both of these schools???

The other odd questions I have is about lunch/eating before/during/after school...with such a different start time compared with the UK....do the children eat breakfast before they start and lunch after they finish school and then snacK in between or how does it work!?

Many thanks Smile
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:56 am Reply with quote
G A Decorators
Pictures: 0

hi,
my boys go to the Ayia Napa school
my eldest (9 years) takes 2 a day in with him to get something to eat from the snack shop.
He also takes a bottle of water and a piece of fruit

My youngest (5 years) takes a bottle of water and a piece of fruit in with him and I pay 45 per month to the school and they then give him his snack every day

I can get the term dates for you, they do break up earlier here for the summer hols.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote
Snowy

Hi I send my eldest daughter goes to the 4th School. She has her breakfast and lunch at home and I send her with a sandwich, fruit and water to keep her going in between. They have 3 breaks throughout the morning. You can also send them with money and they have a canteen which serves hot food for one break and cold for the others I think.

School holidays

30th January
2nd March
25th March
1st April
Easter finish school on Friday 10th April and go back on Monday 27th April
1st May
28th May
8th June
Finish on 16th or 17th June until 2nd September for summer
1st October
28th October
Christmas around 23rd December - 7th January

I may have missed out a saints day, but I think these are about right. They do sometimes throw in another day, so if your children come home and say "we've no school tomorrow mum" that will be right, you don't tend to get letter! Bit strange at first, but you get used to it!
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:20 am Reply with quote
MrsBouvier
Pictures: 28

Thank you so much - that is REALY helpful...nice to finally hear from someone who will be at the same school...how long has your daugther been there? how did she settle in? Does she have much Greek? how old is she/which year is she in?....sorry for all the questions but I am sooo desperate to know what lies ahead so I can try to prepare them (and me!)...all info advice greatfully received!

Many tanks!

Post: #5   PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:43 am Reply with quote
Snowy

My daughter is 8 years old and is in Γ (gamma) which is the third class. She is fluent now, but has worked very hard to get there. She started in the Kindergarten of Paralimni 4, which is lovely. She had extra Greek lessons for 2 years, which were private and when she joined the School itself, she also had the extra lessons provided both during school time and after school.

The school is very helpful with children that don't speak Greek and provide a lot of support.

It isn't easy, but you need to learn as well, so you can help with homework. My daughter has left me behind now, but there are times, when I need to help her. At the end of the day, she is only 8 years old and they do need some help to understand their work from time to time. What would take us a few minutes to explain in English, can take a while in another language. The best advice, is get a good dictionary, I found the best one was the Oxford Greek to English dictionary. You do however need a basic understanding of how the endings of words change, to be able to search for the correct word though, which is why I say you need to learn as well.

If you have any other concerns, I will try and answer them. Otherwise - hope all works out for you!

My daughter loves school, well, as much as any child possibly can do. We moved over in 2005 and I put her straight into the kindergarten then.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel
HELP/ADVICE Local greek school term dates & eating habbi 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools