Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Cypriot Recipes & Music » dolmades
dolmades 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:07 pm Reply with quote
yhztolca
Pictures: 1

anyone have a good one for dolmades made with meat? I had them in a local taverna lately and would love to know how to make them at home. Also can they be frozen?
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
adyandkaren
Pictures: 23

I will probably get slaughtered for this, but this is the recipe I used when I made them the other week, but to us they seemed quite authentic Wink

vine leaves (I used dried, soaked in warm water for about 10mins and then patted dry with kitchen roll)
1 lb mince (I used lean beef)
salt, to taste
ground black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoon dried parsley (only had dried, sourced from Cyprus)
1 tablespoon dried mint (ditto)
1 teaspoon dried powdered cinnamon
1 cup raw white rice
1 onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove (optional - I prefer it with, but my OH doesn't like it)
about 1.5 pints chicken stock

Fry the onion in plenty of olive oil until it is transparant and then add the mince. Fry until mince is browned.
Add everything else and stir well.

Lay the vine leaf vein side up and add 1 teaspoon of the mix into the middle and roll into the distinctive dolmades parcel and add to large pot

When they are all done, pour chicken stock in until it is just covering the parcels.

Place a plate over the dolmades to stop them floating away

Bring to the boil and simmer for about 40-45mins adding more stock as needed.

Serve.

I served it with a tomato based sauce, because thats how we like it. I cheated and used a jar of pasta type sauce heated.

Or you could follow the instructions here Wink
Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:04 pm Reply with quote
beersmaggie
Pictures: 0

The authentic way is to use minced pork.
Only half teaspoon of cinnamen.
No chicken stock and to cook in water with the juice of 1or2 lemons.
Dont fry the meat as you will loose flavour.
Use flat leaf parsley. but dried if you cant get it.
Add all ingredients to the cooked rice and mix well, then fill your vine leaves and cook.
Yes they do freeze well.
Try them with Buguri, this is cracked wheat, onions, vermicelli, 1 tin of chopped tomatoes, pasata ( thick tomatoe juice)
Fry onions until opaque, add vermicelli, cook for a few minutes, add pasata chopped tomatoes and hot chicken stock, bring to the boil, add cracket wheat(bulga) and stir all contents together. Remove from the heat, cover the saucepan with a t-towel and and the lid, leave for 1/2, then stir and serve. Lovely Exclamation .......Maggie Larnaca

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:58 am Reply with quote
Pookie
Pictures: 0

This couldn't have been timed better - we're having a Greek night on Friday and Dolmades is on the menu. Maybe I'll do some from each recipe Very Happy

Thanks guys!

Andy

Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Kwacka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Pictures: 3

Look for the recipe for 'koupepia' - Cypriot version.

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Cypriot Recipes & Music