Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools » Local Schools in Dherynia
Local Schools in Dherynia 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Doops
Pictures: 0

Hello All,

It's my firt time on the forum & I wonder if anyone can help please.
We are moving to Dherynia in September next year with our daughter who will be 5.7 years old next year.
I'd like to put her into a local Greek school in that area and I'm wondering if anyone has a child going to one of these schools and could tell me what they are like and how they went about enrolling them please?

Many Thanks
Doops Smile
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:07 pm Reply with quote
bazknight
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

my daughter has been going to the C school in dherynia since first year (6 years old) loves every minute of it. it helps interacting with local kids early to help her pick up the language quicker, my daughter is now 8 and speaks fluent greek. the school placement will be dependant on where you are in dherynia as there are 3 schools here. hope this helps
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Doops

Thank you Baznight!

Yes I found out (eventually) that there are 3 primary schools in Dherynia, but would you know how easy they are to get enrolled in & what I need & when I should do it please?

Thank you for your help.

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:27 am Reply with quote
bazknight
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

i'm sure we enrolled around easter your probably best off just going in as soon as you arrive to see which school you will be allocated to, you'll need your little un's birth certificate and passport (or at least we did anyway). very easy process as the majority of school staff are very helpful.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #5   PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:12 am Reply with quote
Doops

Hi,

I've just been in touch with Dherynia A & C and they say that my daughter would start in the nursery next year (being 5 and a half) and not the primary school.
Is that right, she's currently in Reception in the UK and would be in Year 1 next year?

Thanks
Ania.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:56 am Reply with quote
Snowy

Hi

Yes, that's right. In Cyprus, they don't start school until they are 6 years old. The way it works, is that although the school year runs the same as the UK, from September, your child needs to be 6 between the January and December of the intake year. Also, they do prefer that your child speaks some if not a lot of Greek when they are younger, as your child is, so that they can fit into school properly and not be left behind in the classes with the lack of understanding.

The kindergarten's over here, are pretty much like reception classes. There is a lot of art work and work by play, with some basic writing and maths involved.

Once they start school at Grade One, it is extremely intense, much more than the UK. They have lots of different subjects with allocated times throughout the day/week and lots of homework. Even if your child was to make up 6 in December, you would probably be better to wait until the following intake as this would give both your child and yourself chance to pick up the basics of the language. Helping with homework (which there is a lot of) is even harder when you don't understand the language.

Best advice, start learning your alphabet now and then you have some understanding of how to put some of the words together to be able to help your child.

It's great that you want your child to go to the Greek School, they are really good, I'm sure you'll be happy with them, whichever one you go to!

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:28 am Reply with quote
Doops

Thank you Snowy for clarifying that.

I'm just starting to learn the alphabet myself at the moment.

All the best.
Doops
Local Schools in Dherynia 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools