Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines » Healthcare and hospital treatment
Healthcare and hospital treatment 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:22 am Reply with quote
pready
Pictures: 3

Could someone advise if hospital treatment would be available to us.

We are retired and for the past three years have resided in Cyprus for about 8-9 months of the the year but have not applied for residency as we consider our main home to be in the UK. We go back to the uk for any hospital/dental treatment but find this is becoming very difficult esp. coping with the waiting times for hospital treatment and trying to arrange our stay in uk to coincide with health checks etc. Would we be eligible for hospital treatment here (not just emergency treatment under the E111 forms) My husband needs a minor op which wouldnt be classified as 'emergency' and wonder if it could be done here rather than the UK. I have read loads of threads on the forum but none which cover our situation. I was thinking that maybe we should register for residency but dont want Cyprus to be classed as our main home which may then exclude us from residency in the UK, and is there a difference between residency and alienship. We are not registered at the hospital in Cyprus and also wonder if this is available to us.

We would appreciate any information you can give.
Thanks
Polly
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:40 am Reply with quote
ioannis
Pictures: 0

of course you can be treated here the only difference is that if you have the eurocard you dont pay ,thus if you dont , you do pay but not so much as you would in a private hospital.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:42 am Reply with quote
Deanna
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Polly, I'm pretty sure you need to be registered to use a hospital services for anything more than emergency holiday things (on your EHC).

Seems to me that you need to make a decision on residency? I am sure you've been told of the tax benefits for expat resident retirees out here.

As far as things are now, you just are not allowed to claim residency in two countries at the same time. You will, of course, keep your UK domicile unless you wish (after residency for either 5 or 7 years)to change it.

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Tina Torment

http://www.ageconcern.org.uk/AgeConcern/5AB517EEF27E4597907584AA6A78763A.asp#Spending_part_of_the_year_in_an_EEA_country

Might be able to give you more information? I'm sure I have read somewhere that if you are out of the UK for a certain length of time, you may lose your rights to NHS care but I cannot find it now so cannot be accurate.

If you are in Cyprus for 3mths or more, Cyprus requires you to register for residency so you need to think about this too!

You seem to spend the majority of time in Cyprus so maybe it would be better to register and have done, so to speak but obviously it's up to you to decide what is in your best interest. As you know you qualify for free health care on an E121.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quote
pready

Thankyou all for your input and thanks Tina for the link. Could you confirm the E121 form is the one we should have as we have the E111 but didnt know about the other.
It is kind of living a double life with three months here then back to the UK for a couple of months. It is a good arrangement for us mostly but the health issues are causing a bit of difficulty. As Deanna mentions, certainly the tax benefits should be considered but again we havent sought to make changes as we plan to keep the UK as our base.

Thank you the suggestions have been very welcome.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:08 am Reply with quote
pready

Hi Tina, I found the E121 in the link you gave, sorry I asked you for it before I read the article but it explains it very well.

Thankyou P
Healthcare and hospital treatment 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines