Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools » advice on schools
advice on schools 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:50 pm Reply with quote
nelly
Pictures: 0

Hi all,we are looking to move to cyprus next year and have children aged 4 5 and 13,we are concerened about their education,especially for my 13 year old and wondered if anyone can point us in the rigt direction please,
We are looking to move to protaras,also is it costly to get extra tuition for my 13 year old at home say once twice a week?

hope somoene can help me
many thanks

Nells
x
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quote
twentyone21
Pictures: 2

you may find this link beneficial
http://cyprus.angloinfo.com/information/10/schooling.asp
there has been a lot posted about schools in cyprus and it seems that the concensus of opinion is that if your children dont speak greek and they are over 6, dont put them into a state school, as they teach only in greek, there are private schools and i understand are quite costly
good luck regards mark

Post: #3   PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:32 pm Reply with quote
G A Decorators

I have had a few quotes for my children for a greek tutor that teaches one to one sessions at home and they range from about 12 euro to 20 euro per session (1 or 2 hour)
The greek schools also offer free greek lessons once a week to their students after school
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:45 pm Reply with quote
nelly

garyjath wrote:
I have had a few quotes for my children for a greek tutor that teaches one to one sessions at home and they range from about 12 euro to 20 euro per session (1 or 2 hour)
The greek schools also offer free greek lessons once a week to their students after school

Thats not bad at all,how old are your children and have you moved out there?
thanks
Nells
x

Post: #5   PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:38 am Reply with quote
Snowy

Hi Nelly

The Greek schools are really good, but only if you encourage your children to learn Greek and to mix with the Cypriots. I have heard a lot of bad reports for other parents, but they don't seem overly interested in learning the language and mixing and fitting in properly and keep in their own "clicks".

I can recommend the Fourth School in Paralimni. They offer delay Greek sessions throughout the school day to help the children initially. This is firstly to get a basic understanding and then they will continue with their class work and provide additional assistance, which the class teacher obviously can't do as there is a lot of work to cover in the class.

They also provide additional free Greek Lessons after school, this year, they are better as they are running them straight from school, rather than having to return to school later.

Private Greek tuition is a must though too. You also need to learn the language a little, or get pretty good with a dictionary and the basic understanding of the language so that you can assist with homework as there is quite a lot. Once they move up the school, they tend to be pretty self sufficient. As your children are young, they will need to practice reading with you, as well as their written Greek and Maths work.

Basically, if you want your children to go to Greek School, they will be fine, they will just need some support and encouragement from you.

As for the standard of the education. I think it is pretty varied and of a good standard. I don't understand all of it, but the maths I would say is more advanced than the UK and they do History, Geography, Religious Studies, Science, Art and Music on a time table basis (of course Greek and Maths take up a lot of the day) so a lot of subjects are covered. I can't say that I am too impressed with the PE/Sports etc they don't tend to do too much or be encouraged to do. You often see a lot of them standing around and chatting. Not sure if PE/Sports is pushed anywhere any more. But I would like to see more of that. On the whole - very impressed and happy with everything.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #6   PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:41 am Reply with quote
Snowy

Sorry, I forgot your older child. If you are prepared for him to be put back a year or two and plough loads of extra Greek Lessons in, he will catch up. Otherwise, you will definately need an English/American School. I can't help with those, I don't have any personal info on them!

Good luck anyway, in whatever you decided
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:07 pm Reply with quote
G A Decorators

Hi Nells,
My 3 boys are 9 yrs, 5 yrs & 19mnths and one more on the way Very Happy
My 2 eldest go to the Ayia Napa school (this is their second term) and they love it there.
They are both getting on great with their greek but have put in a lot of extra effort to learn it, if they hadn't there is no way they would of coped in the school.
They have both made lots of friends english and cypriot.
I think the greek schools are fantastic and I have no problems with my boys going there although the schooling is completley different to the UK.
The lessons my 5yr old does is mostly based around arts and crafts and play at the moment (costs are 45 euro per month) and my eldest does Maths, greek, religion, geography, science, gymnastics, music, art, mythology and history (he just has his snack money daily, normally about 2 euros).
Good luck
advice on schools 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools