Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools » Learn Greek
Learn Greek 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote
costa
Pictures: 0

Hello

can anyone recommend a good book to learn greek? any good websites? or any classes? thank u

costa
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:32 pm Reply with quote
snazzydiva
Pictures: 2

Hi I've been using the bbc talk greek book - it comes with 2 cd's, they've got an offer on at wh smith at the moment the link for it is

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/ProductDetails-Talk+Greek+-9780563520238.html

you could also try www.ilearngreek.com as I've been using the free trial on this site and its been handy using the two as things that haven't sunk into my head with the cd and book have from the website.

Hope this helps
Emma
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:42 pm Reply with quote
costa

thanks for your reply emma
now I foud http://www.kypros.org/LearnGreek/
very nice
look at and tell me you opinion
dou greek speaker or not
many thanks
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:03 pm Reply with quote
costa

The government classes start in November and run through to May.

They are not free, but last year, they cost the equivalent of CYP30 for the acedemic year.

They are run by the further education department as 'evening classes' and are available at several levels according to your knowledge/proficiency.

In Larnaka, they are run at a government school in the American Academy/Metro supermarket area.

Post: #5   PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:02 pm Reply with quote
snazzydiva

Hi, I started using that site before and found it to be quite good - I bought the book when my computer broke as I couldnt get on as regular as I'd have liked.
I've only learnt the basics so far, for some reason it just isnt staying in my head but I'll get there. I have signed up for a course which starts at the end of the month at my local university so hopefully that will help me too
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #6   PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:45 am Reply with quote
margaritahd
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hi
If you are interested in private classes for 1-2-1 or small groups I teach adults and /or kids. Pls email me at
best
margarita

Post: #7   PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:08 pm Reply with quote
costa

many thanks

Post: #8   PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
costa

I have many questions, but will confine it to 3 at the moment.

A. says "Meno" (written the way it sounds!) means "I stay"; B. that it means "I live". Are both correct and are you meant to guess what the speaker means? (In Scotland we do say "stay" when we mean live, but England does not!)

A. says "Afto/Aftee" means this is ("Ekino" = that is). B. says "Aftee" = that is! And that it also means "she ......." as in "as for my wife, she will drink ......."??

Also why when you say "with my wife" is it "may tee yeenecka moo" whilst "my wife" is "ee" yeenecka moo?

If anyone can put me right on this it would help in my struggle with the language! Thanks in advance.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Buddy

Government lessons starting November. Urban areas 51 rural areas 41. The number to call for information is 24813264

We have signed up for Paralimni B school Friday 5pm - 6.30pm starts 7th November

Sue

Post: #10   PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:41 am Reply with quote
julzzuk

Buddy, can you post the Paralimni B contact number, I would like to go to this class aslo, and can you tell me how to registar??

Thanks

Post: #11   PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:12 am Reply with quote
Keith Sheffield

costa wrote:
I have many questions, but will confine it to 3 at the moment.

A. says "Meno" (written the way it sounds!) means "I stay"; B. that it means "I live". Are both correct and are you meant to guess what the speaker means? (In Scotland we do say "stay" when we mean live, but England does not!)

A. says "Afto/Aftee" means this is ("Ekino" = that is). B. says "Aftee" = that is! And that it also means "she ......." as in "as for my wife, she will drink ......."??

Also why when you say "with my wife" is it "may tee yeenecka moo" whilst "my wife" is "ee" yeenecka moo?

If anyone can put me right on this it would help in my struggle with the language! Thanks in advance.

1. Yes 'meno' means both 'I am staying' (temporarily, as in a tourist staying in a hotel) and 'I live' (as in permanently living in a place). You tell the difference by the context.

2. 'aftos' , 'afti' , 'afto' are simply the third person pronouns for 'he' , 'she' , 'it' referring to persons/things in your immediate surrounds (like 'this') - they only mean he/she/it is when you add the verb to be - einai, as in aftos einai (he is);

'ekeinos' , 'ekeini' , 'ekeino' are the same thing, but referring to persons/things some distance from you (like 'that'). Don't forget that the masculine '-os' and feminine '-i' endings can be for things (m. or f.) as well as people.

Confusing in Cyprus is that you will often hear the local dialect 'toutos' , 'touti' and 'touto' instead of the pronouns above.

3. 'Me tin (not 'tee') yineka mou' - with my wife (the 'tin' is the possessive form of 'the' - the definite article ('ton' (m.)/'tin' (f.)/'to' (n.))

'ee yineka' is simply 'the' wife/woman - definite article 'the' ('o' (m.)/'ee'(f.)/'to'(n.)) - as in 'my wife is... 'ee yineka mou einai...'
or 'this is my wife' ...'afti einai ee yineka mou'

Thus:

'My wife is staying in Protaras' - 'Ee yineka mou menei ston Protara'

- your wife is doing something (i.e. staying in Protaras)

'I am with my wife' - 'Eimai me tin yineka mou'

- your wife (posessive) is with you

'My husband is staying in Protaras' 'O andras mou menei ston
Protara'

'I am with my husband' - 'Eimai me ton andra mou'

I hope this helps, although it is much easier doing it all in Greek letters/words without having to transliterate into the latin alphabet!
Learn Greek 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Schools