Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors  

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines » Register with a doctor
Register with a doctor 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:21 am Reply with quote
Eve
Pictures: 0

Can anyone tell me if you need to register with a doctor or with a hospital when you live in Cyprus.
We live in Mackenzie, Larnaca and not sure about medical care, getting prescriptions etc, can someone advise what we do and perhaps reccommend a good general doctor.

Thanks,

Eve
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:44 am Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

Doctors are private and you pay a fee to visit them etc.They are not that expensive though. My mother uses one and I could get you his number/address when I get out there.

You should register with the hospital in larnaca and get prescriptions from them.If over retirement age you should get a n E121 from the UK or if you are not old enough like me Laughing , you get an E106 which lasts about 2 years if you have been paying Nat Ins in the UK.
If you work/pay taxes in Cyprus you get the same free health care as Cypriots, I believe.
Where in Makenzie are you ?
We arrive on Sept 1st and are just past the harbour on the way to town.
Haven't seen the place yet as we're renting and my mother chose it !
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Eve

Thanks for the info,

We are not retired yet, both in our early 50's, I'll look into getting registered at the hospital. I had one night in a clinic two weeks ago with a gastroenteritis anf the bill was over 800 euros...
Our apartment is near Citywitch apts.
We would appreciate the doctors details, I think reccommendation is always best.

Eve

Post: #4   PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:47 am Reply with quote
Andrew Brooks

Ok I'll try to remember to let you know.
If one of you has been paying NI in the uk recently you should apply for the E106 from the UK, then you can go to the hospital for all your medical needs.
Apparently you just queue up to see a doctor,costs very little. 2 euros I think I heard.
ps We're in our fifties too ! This is my last chance to try to get fit. Walking and swimming on the beach every day.................................. unless I've had a skinful the night before Laughing

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:25 am Reply with quote
RN3

You don't need toa actually register with any doctor. You just go and see the doc of your choice, as in Greece.

I paid CP 15 to see a GP and a dermatologist in Larnaca pending registration with the Cypriot authorities under the E121 as a retiree.

I used the facilities at Larnaca old hospital. The queues were not too bad - much worse in Greece - and I found the GPs perfectly competent. One is issued with a booklet containing the prescriptions. Collect any prescriptionmedicatons at the hospital pharmacy. Disconcertitngly, they will take out of packets, give you half strips of tablets... And the tendency is to issue generic medication. Also, it was quite common for them to be out of stock of a particular medicinal product, requiring a return visit
Register with a doctor 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Doctors / Hospitals / Health & Medicines