Not A Member Yet? See All The Features Of The Forum By Clicking Here To Register For FREE! Or Members Login Below:

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Cyprus Eastern Forum Index
Offering Free Help, Advice, Tips & Support for those buying or living in:
Paralimni - Protaras - Pernera - Kapparis - Agia Napa - Larnaca - Oroklini - Pervolia - Kiti - Xylofagou
Vrysoulles - Frenaros - Dherynia - Sotira - Agia Thekla - Liopetri - Ormidia & surrounding areas...

Main Homepage Cyprus Eastern Forum Index Register Directory Memberlist Search

Ads By Forum Sponsors

Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Restaurants / Bars & Clubs in the Larnaca Area » Thai food?
Thai food? 
Post: #1   PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:38 am Reply with quote
Kat
Pictures: 0

Hi all

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a good Thai meal in Larnaca? We tried the new restaurant in Laiki Getonia (can't remember the name) but the food was far from authentic.

Kat
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #2   PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:26 am Reply with quote
Charnwood Fox
Pictures: 34

Someone recently mentioned that Markos on The Strip/Larnaca-Dhekelia road was closing, then re-opening as a Thai.

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

Links only visible to Registered Members
Register for Free or Login to the forum.

If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
Qui docet discit.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #3   PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:13 am Reply with quote
jb1

Went to Ban Thai last night but was not impressed. Very stylish but food does not justify the high price. Was very disappointed as expected something better, nothing particularly original on the menu.

Joyce
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #4   PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Kat

Joyce

That's the one we tried; couldn't agree with you more!

Kat

Post: #5   PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quote
wellerman

Marcos still open till next Sunday 27th, depending on Rice cookers and other essential items arriving from Thailand, if all goes well will be closing for 3 days and opening back up 1st May.

Post: #6   PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:24 am Reply with quote
wellerman

Marcos now open as the Rice Bowl, Thai / Chinese cuisine, eat in or take away.

Post: #7   PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:41 am Reply with quote
paul1978

rice cookers????????

cant they use a traditional pan and boiling water? cant imagine it being any good.
Personal Photo Album View user's profile Send e-mail MSN Messenger Cyprus News,Weather & Travel

Post: #8   PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:47 am Reply with quote
Charnwood Fox
Pictures: 34

paul1978 wrote:
rice cookers???
Perhaps it's a job title. Laughing

Shame! We liked Markos.

This is very strange. The Thai that was next door closed. What makes the new owners think they will fare any better?

If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.
Qui docet discit.

Hide These Ads? Register for Free or Login

Post: #9   PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Kathyoke
Pictures: 3

They said that there wasnt the choice!! The owner said themselves that although theres Lily Wongs, they werent that good, and so they would be able to offer tourists a better menu, because they have a real Thai chef. Although I have seen them advertising in one of the free magazines for a Thai Chef?????

No more sunday dinners Crying or Very sad

Post: #10   PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:02 am Reply with quote
DonnaA

We ate at the Rice Bowl on Tuesday - it was different! Not unpleasant, but not what I expected

Post: #11   PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:12 am Reply with quote
Kathyoke

Donna, what is it like inside now, and what food did they serve? I went passed it last night and saw the new sign, didnt look anymore busy though.

Kathy

Post: #12   PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:36 am Reply with quote
DonnaA

Well I though the decor was pretty tacky, not very well done at all. In the height of the summer it will be unbearable as there is no a/c. In fact a family walked in and walked out again on Tuesday saying it was too hot....

The food - well it's more chinese based I thought, with a Thai element - lots of lemongrass and ginger. The dishes seemed to all be based on a similar sauce with other ingredients added depending on what you had. Having said that we didn't have a Thai curry, of which there were lots of different ones. I think I would eat there again, to try the curry, and then make a more definate judgement.

All I can say though is that a/c will be a must when it starts to get hot as it was a bit like sitting in a large tin box

Post: #13   PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:42 am Reply with quote
cyprus steve

Paul1978 wrote: Rice cooker??????

I have 2, one from china and one from england and they are fantastic things, perfect rice every time, Laughing
good for portion control, you get a little cup with it, one cup = 1 portion
then add the right amount of water, flick a switch, if you are not ready when rice is, it will also keep it warm for you.

Leoni

Post: #14   PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:36 am Reply with quote
wellerman

Paul, i can't see how you can make a judgement on a restaurant based on whether they cook rice in a pan or a rice steamer????

A/C will be in before the "hot"weather, although yes, it has been quite warm in the last week or so.

Bpou, or Bob as he likes to be called is an excellent chef from Thailand, just awaiting a 2nd chef from China, its not a two minute job with all the hoops they have to jump through at immigration.

Post: #15   PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:18 pm Reply with quote
murf62

We had a takeaway from the Rice Bowl tonight and it was a miserable experience from start to finish. The girl on the phone said it will be ready for collection in 20 mins. My other half went to collect it and had to sit there for over 40 mins waiting, making it an hour in total! There was only one couple in the restaurant and no signs of a rush of takeaway orders either.

When the food finally arrived, she put the bags in the car with the bag handle over the gearlever to ensure it stayed upright, but the trays had been put in on their sides, so we ended up with bag full of mixed up sauce. Luckily, the bag was watertight so it didn't spill on the carpet.

The spring rolls were the worst I have ever tasted, both the vegetable and chicken ones. I can't really comment on the red & green curry sauces as they had all leaked out, but the rest of the dish seemed soggy as though it had been microwaved.

I would like to congratulate the Rice Bowl on actually being a worse Chinese restaurant than Lily Wong's, which I didn't think possible.

We will not be back, that's for sure. We will drive the extra distance to Mulan next time we fancy some Oriental food.

Join Us Today! Register for Free or Login

Post: #16   PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:15 am Reply with quote
beersmaggie

Yummy, Mulan now your talking, best chinese food on the island for me.........Maggie Larnaca Clap

Post: #17   PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:21 am Reply with quote
Kathyoke

I have to agree about The Rice Bowl, I would rather eat in Lily Wongs!!!

So looks like its Mulan in future for us too!!
Thai food? 
  Cyprus Eastern Forum Index » Restaurants / Bars & Clubs in the Larnaca Area