Cyprus Eastern Forum Archive


This is a text archive version of our main content. To view the full site with more information, features, formatting and images please click here.

>> Eastern Cyprus Forum Archive Index

View The Full Original Topic: Had a bath ~~ at last !!!!


>> Have YOUR say - Post A Reply To This Topic

Posted By: Ken of Kiti

Bill wrote:
Reminds me of when I was young .
The tin bath would be taken down from the wall (held by a huge nail ) at the side of the back door ~ put on the living room floor and filled with hot and cold water .
First my mum would have a bath then my dad ~ then me ~ if it was summer time the dog got a bath too .

TIN BATH…
Luxury!
When I was a lad we were so poor we had to sit in a puddle inth middle o’ the road, all 26 of us.
Dad would suck a pepper mint and breathe on the water to warm it up. Then we would all to use the same lump of coal to wash our selves with because we couldn’t afford a bar of soap.
But you know, we were happy those days!
And you tell the kids of today and they won’t believe you.
Ken



Posted By: bill

What a luxury ~ had my first bath for over two years :shock: . Don't worry folks I don't smell that bad as I've had my usual daily shower but due to the water restrictions I've resisted the temptation to fill the bath untill today . Before anybody comments that we are still expected to be careful with our water, after watching my neighbours all washing their veranda's and steps :roll: I no longer care . Might wash the car tomorrow :shock: Bill

Posted By: terri

have to laugh at this. I was back in the Uk on holiday in december and staying at my mums, I announced that I was going to have a bath as I hadn't had one in about 10 months....needless to say every joke about bad smells got an airing.

Posted By: AskCy

I can't remember the last time I had a bath...don't think I've had one at this house and we've been here 5 years... never really had a bath at old house either...don't like wallowing in my own filth... LOL

Posted By: MCM Carrington

I haven't had a bath in years either, it's kinda been left in the past a bit hasn't it, even youngsters as they become more independant, promote themselves to the shower. Also, it's a time thing nowadays, everyone in a rush, so the shower is quicker, more economical. We have a little grandaughter of almost two, she just loves her bath, she doesn't care about time, or what it's costing!

Posted By: Charnwood Fox

I haven't had a bath in over 7 years......and I'm in the UK where we have water coming out of our ears at the moment. Obviously it's more economical and better for the environment, using less water than a bath, especially if you don't have the water running all the time, but it is, as previously mentioned, better than wallowing in your own filth, and you are having a final rinse in clean water.

Posted By: chrisedgar

We decided to have a bath after living in the house for 12 months (we did shower regularly) it was heaven - I went first, then my husband followed, and then our dog was the last one to experience this luxury. We then sat on the patio - to dry/cool off - only to see the residents hosing down the street - for at least 30 mins. chasing a few leaves etc with the hose pipe. Hey Ho !!!!

Posted By: mouse

When I was a kid we were so poor we didn't have a bath, we use to sit in the sink after the washing up was done and the washing. I was 5th in line after the Dog!!!. We could not afford hot water!! the water was so cold we put ice in it to warm it up. :cry:





Posted By: Woodrow Why?at

  • mouse wrote:
    When I was a kid we were so poor we didn't have a bath, we use to sit in the sink after the washing up was done and the washing. I was 5th in line after the Dog!!!. We could not afford hot water!! the water was so cold we put ice in it to warm it up. :cry:

You were lucky............... :lol:
BTW, I see Bill hasn't upset anyone on this thread - he must be slipping!!
:wink:

Posted By: bill

  • chrisedgar wrote:
    We decided to have a bath after living in the house for 12 months (we did shower regularly) it was heaven - I went first, then my husband followed, and then our dog was the last one to experience this luxury. We then sat on the patio - to dry/cool off - only to see the residents hosing down the street - for at least 30 mins. chasing a few leaves etc with the hose pipe. Hey Ho !!!!

made me smile
Reminds me of when I was young .
The tin bath would be taken down from the wall (held by a huge nail ) at the side of the back door ~ put on the living room floor and filled with hot and cold water .
First my mum would have a bath then my dad ~ then me ~ if it was summer time the dog got a bath too .
And people say they were the good old days
Bill

Posted By: mouse

  • mouse wrote:
    When I was a kid we were so poor we didn't have a bath, we use to sit in the sink after the washing up was done and the washing. I was 5th in line after the Dog!!!. We could not afford hot water!! the water was so cold we put ice in it to warm it up. :cry:

They were the good old days!!! :lol:

Posted By: terri

I see a having a bath as more of a luxury thing rather than a way of getting clean. The daily (or several times daily in the summer) shower is essential to be clean but to lay in a bath filled with bubbles and just relax has got to be one of the easiest and cheapest ways to de-stress and unwind. Probably not what Bill was aiming for though........up to his chin in bubbles with some candles, a soft cd playing in the background.....pink shower cap maybe?....can just picture it now.......

Posted By: badger

We were posh in our ,ouse . We had a big long tin bath for mam and dad and a small oval one for me and my two brothers. We had to use mam and dads in summer because we kept our newts and frog spawn in ours in the back yard. Happy days. :lol: :lol:. Phil

Posted By: Jinty

Only time I have a bath is when I've fallen out with hubby - then it's me, a bottle of wine, candles, and a good book for a long soak :) cheers, Jinty

Posted By: salopman

Can you believe. We went on a short break to Scotland last week and we HAD to have a bath - no showers - gutted.



Posted By: mouse

  • Ken of Kiti wrote:
    TIN BATH…
    Luxury!
    When I was a lad we were so poor we had to sit in a puddle inth middle o’ the road, all 26 of us.
    Dad would suck a pepper mint and breathe on the water to warm it up. Then we would all to use the same lump of coal to wash our selves with because we couldn’t afford a bar of soap.
    And you tell the kids of today and they won’t believe you.
    Ken

You were luckier than me, I used to wait until you had gone and then get into that same puddle, but i wish you hadn't peed in it. :cry: :lol:

Posted By: MCM Carrington

Love it Ken :D I do remember my parents had a tin bath, my Mum would fill it up in front of the fire, a coal fire, then I would be scrubbed, this would be around 1953. My grandparents though, must have been rich, they had a proper bathroom, and central heating! we went to visit-a lot :D You forget how things have moved on, or rather don't appreciate it, we are all spoilt these days.

Posted By: fettler

I'd love to have a bath...the problem isn't cost, or time...the difficulty is getting out. Yours, Spiderman Cheers Alex

Posted By: MrsBouvier

  • terri wrote:
    I see a having a bath as more of a luxury thing rather than a way of getting clean.
    The daily (or several times daily in the summer) shower is essential to be clean but to lay in a bath filled with bubbles and just relax has got to be one of the easiest and cheapest ways to de-stress and unwind.
    Probably not what Bill was aiming for though........up to his chin in bubbles with some candles, a soft cd playing in the background.....pink shower cap maybe?....can just picture it now.......
Couldn't agree more...you forgot the glass of wine!!

Posted By: Charnwood Fox

  • Woodrow Why?at wrote:
    You were lucky...... :lol:

The 'real thing', http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13JK5kChbRw&feature=fvw live at the Hollywood Bowl, or a re-working, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELmtC8TEiTU with Alan Rickman, Eddie Izzard, Harry Enfield and Vic Reeves.
But, this is the original. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eDaSvRO9xA&feature=related

Posted By: Woodrow Why?at

  • MCM Carrington wrote:
    Love it Ken :D I do remember my parents had a tin bath, my Mum would fill it up in front of the fire, a coal fire, then I would be scrubbed, this would be around 1953.

MCM, that's disgusting!!!!
Considering that in 1953, we reckon you would have been about 19!!!!!!
:tub: :lol:

Posted By: bex1310

:wink:



Posted By: MCM Carrington

:D Woody! you could be replaced you know, I was in fact three!

Posted By: Deanna

When I was a child we lived in an old Victorian house in London, and when we wanted a bath we used one of these to heat the bathroom.......... http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://rlv.zcache.com/old_kerosene_heater_poster-p228520311042878413tdcp_400.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.zazzle.com/old_kerosene_heater_poster-228520311042878413&h=400&w=400&sz=21&tbnid=kx_iD0ccC-A87M:&tbnh=124&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dantique%2Bkerosene%2Bheater&hl=en&usg=__Vux8VY1VutgFuGbF8YK2_0576ug=&ei=S8fBS5WFIcjD_gbUwaHlBg&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=11&ct=image&ved=0CC4Q9QEwCg (sorry about long link)(can't do url) :oops: To get hot water we had a ferocious gas appliance on the wall above the bath geyser?) which you turned on then lit a match and stood back! Talk about heath n safety!

Posted By: Campbell Findlay

I absolutely love a hot deep bath on a chilly winters night!! Campbell. Just wish I could figure a way to get the water to the garden area afterwards -- (thinks :idea: ) could use the garden hose to siphon it I suppose.

Posted By: bill

I moved to the UK with my mum in 1955 after the Suez crisis from what can only be described as a third world country .
I was always told what a modern and wonderful country the UK was ~ imagine my surprise to find that instead of a bathroom with bath/shower/toilet/bidet we had a tin bath and the shower was my mum throwing a bucket of water over me in the garden during the summer months plus the toilet was a brick built effort attached to the back of the house :shock:
Suffering from the intense cold ( in May :shock: ) and finding out there was no bathroom and the toilet was outside wasn't much fun especially in the winter months also nobody at that time had heard of a bidet let alone knew what it was for .
We still had the tin bath and outside loo til we moved in the mid sixties to a house with a bathroom :D ~ now that was luxury .
It's amazing how much we take for granted in todays modern world .
Bill

Posted By: bill

  • Woodrow Why?at wrote:

    BTW, I see Bill hasn't upset anyone on this thread - he must be slipping!!
    :wink:

There's plenty of time yet :lol:
At least nobody has pissed me off this week .
Bill

Posted By: mouse

  • Campbell Findlay wrote:
    I absolutely love a hot deep bath on a chilly winters night!!
    Campbell.
    Just wish I could figure a way to get the water to the garden area afterwards -- (thinks :idea: ) could use the garden hose to siphon it I suppose.

If you got in the bath, the water would get out!! :lol:

Posted By: bromerzz

Nurse....medication please, I've just split meself. :lol:



Posted By: MCM Carrington

:D Cricky! I thought you said something else begining with S there!


[ ADVERTS: UK Stores Delivering To Cyprus | Find eBay Misspellings - Grab A Bargain! ]



Viewing Cyprus Eastern Forum Archive - Lo-Fi Version | Visit Cyprus Eastern Forum - Full Version | Questions?

TOP TIP: BUYING PROPERTY IN CYPRUS? PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOU SEEK INDEPENDANT LEGAL ADVICE FIRST.
Cyprus forum covering Kapparis, Protaras, Pernera, Agia Napa, Agia Thekla, Paralimni, Larnaca, Oroklini, Pervolia & surrounding areas
Please note that the views expressed on this forum are those of the author and may not reflect the views of the management.