Cyprus Eastern Forum Archive


This is a text archive version of our main content. To view the full site with more information, features, formatting and images please click here.

>> Eastern Cyprus Forum Archive Index

View The Full Original Topic: DISY proposes raising electoral threshold.


>> Have YOUR say - Post A Reply To This Topic

Posted By: bubblechris

This from the party that accused the last President of being undemocratic and giving jobs to it's supporters whilst loading the governing bodies with people from their party, and calling for reducing the car pool whilst increasing it. http://cyprus-mail.com/2015/10/21/disy-proposes-raising-electoral-threshold-irks-smaller-parties/ Can you really believe anything they say?



Posted By: spanner

  • bubblechris wrote:
    This from the party that accused the last President of being undemocratic and giving jobs to it's supporters whilst loading the governing bodies with people from their party, and calling for reducing the car pool whilst increasing it.
    http://cyprus-mail.com/2015/10/21/disy-proposes-raising-electoral-threshold-irks-smaller-parties/
    Can you really believe anything they say?

Your lot agree with them on raising the threshold, a pity they can't get enough votes to raise it to 30%, that would keep AKEL out as well.

Posted By: bubblechris

As you're on topic I will reply. Akel proposed 3.5% with which I disagree 100%. They were elected by the public and represent the electorate. How can they be banned from the House of Representatives. When Christofias was in power and since they have been in power why didn't they propose this change? We all know the answer because they do not represent the true Cypriots they represent only their elite friends and the money in their pockets. If, which I very much doubt, such a proposal is passed, their would only be 3 parties in the H of R. Disy, Akel and Diko. Two very active MPs, Syllouris and Perdikis who have both been at the forefront of the desire to expose the crooks in Cyprus will be excluded as will all the Edek members. This from the party that claims to be representing the Public and not the party system. SHAME ON THEM.

Posted By: bubblechris

Akel's George Georgiou just denied that they are prosing anything as they have not yet seen Disy's proposal.

Posted By: spanner

  • bubblechris wrote:
    Akel's George Georgiou just denied that they are prosing anything as they have not yet seen Disy's proposal.

So did Stephanos Stephanou, but it also sounds as though they are for it.

Posted By: bubblechris

    Quote:
  • Dissenting voices have been heard within Disy as well. Limassol MP Andreas Themistocleous tweeted his strong opposition to the motion thus: “Disy has no need to stain its reputation with this”.

Not one of my favourite MPs but nice to see him opposing the party line.

Posted By: spanner

  • bubblechris wrote:
      Quote:
    • Dissenting voices have been heard within Disy as well. Limassol MP Andreas Themistocleous tweeted his strong opposition to the motion thus: “Disy has no need to stain its reputation with this”.

    Not one of my favourite MPs but nice to see him opposing the party line.

Which would never happen in AKEL!

Posted By: bubblechris

Probably because Akel do not tend to take autocratic decisions regarding policy and probably why during the 5 year period of Christofias regime there were very few if any such undemocratic decisions taken by them.
[Edit]





Posted By: spanner

  • bubblechris wrote:
    Probably because Akel do not tend to take autocratic decisions regarding policy and probably why during the 5 year period of Christofias regime there were very few if any such undemocratic decisions taken by them.
    [Edit]

The decisions to blow up Mari and bankrupt the country were democratic?

Posted By: bubblechris

If either of your statements had any basis in fact even then neither action had anything to do with Akel. Either way if you cannot back your statements with facts then stop lying through your backside and repeating said alleged facts until you can do so.

Posted By: FSB Properties

  • bubblechris wrote:
    If either of your statements had any basis in fact even then neither action had anything to do with Akel.
    Either way if you cannot back your statements with facts then stop lying through your backside and repeating said alleged facts until you can do so.

The simple facts are, both these unfortunate situations occurred when AKEL were at the helm.
Do you dispute that??
So it stands to reason that they are responsible for both, problem with all Cypriot politicians is they take NO RESPONSIBILITY for their incompetences, but still want all the benefits. In fact I would extend this to all government employees whoever is in charge.

Posted By: bubblechris

Pan can't disagree because you are stating an absolute fact. However if Christofias had been criminally responsible then he would have been tried under criminal law and if found guilty would have been punished. As there is no evidence that he personally mishandled the explosives and as others were controlling their safekeeping then he cannot be criminally liable. Again fact. Ditto the economy. It was the Banks that wrecked the economy, which everybody except Spanner acknowledges, and it's tha bankers that are being charged not Christofias. Fact. Unfortunately both these attacks on Christofias will be revisited endlessly until the elections in May as the current incompetent Government tries to make excuses for it's incompetence since March 2013.

Posted By: Mr Tibbs

  • bubblechris wrote:
    However if Christofias had been criminally responsible then he would have been tried under criminal law and if found guilty would have been punished.

As President/Ex President, doesn't he have an immunity?
  • bubblechris wrote:
    As there is no evidence that he personally mishandled the explosives and as others were controlling their safekeeping then he cannot be criminally liable. Again fact.

Has anybody ever suggested that he "personally mishandled the explosives"? It's water under the bridge now but what political decisions were initially taken about the storage of those munitions and what were the motivations involved? It seems hard to believe those were not taken either at or with the full knowledge of the highest levels of government. If not then what a shambolic way to run a country.
It's an old chestnut which IIRC came down to Christofias "not being told" about any of this stuff.
The concept of Executive responsibility always attracting an attempt to wave it away as though some sort of irrelevant concept. You know: the buck stops here?
Of course it will keep being revisited, it was a disaster.
The country went down the economic drain, there was a tragic explosion which killed people and destroyed the country's major energy plant. These events happened whilst Christofias was in the driving seat.

Posted By: ProVox

  • Mr Tibbs wrote:
    • bubblechris wrote:
      However if Christofias had been criminally responsible then he would have been tried under criminal law and if found guilty would have been punished.

    As President/Ex President, doesn't he have an immunity?
    • bubblechris wrote:
      As there is no evidence that he personally mishandled the explosives and as others were controlling their safekeeping then he cannot be criminally liable. Again fact.

    Has anybody ever suggested that he "personally mishandled the explosives"? It's water under the bridge now but what political decisions were initially taken about the storage of those munitions and what were the motivations involved? It seems hard to believe those were not taken either at or with the full knowledge of the highest levels of government. If not then what a shambolic way to run a country.
    It's an old chestnut which IIRC came down to Christofias "not being told" about any of this stuff.
    The concept of Executive responsibility always attracting an attempt to wave it away as though some sort of irrelevant concept. You know: the buck stops here?
    Of course it will keep being revisited, it was a disaster.
    The country went down the economic drain, there was a tragic explosion which killed people and destroyed the country's major energy plant. These events happened whilst Christofias was in the driving seat.

As you said ........ the buck stops here? The man ay the top has ultimate responsibility so he should have resigned, whether he was personally involved or not.

Posted By: spanner

So AKEL have now agreed to raise the threshold and have started the bargaining at 3.5% to DISY's 5%, so they will probably settle on 4%!



Posted By: bubblechris

Plus they have tabled another raft of changes they would like to see. If I now understand it correctly this vote relates to whether parties are recognised and therefore whether they are entitled to funding. Thus none of the current smaller parties will be exempted. 3.5% seems sensible therefore?

Posted By: spanner

  • bubblechris wrote:
    Plus they have tabled another raft of changes they would like to see.
    If I now understand it correctly this vote relates to whether parties are recognised and therefore whether they are entitled to funding. Thus none of the current smaller parties will be exempted. 3.5% seems sensible therefore?

With your reasoning there should be no limit, as a limit is undemocratic.

Posted By: bubblechris

You really should learn to read...............

Posted By: spanner

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!


[ ADVERTS: UK Stores Delivering To Cyprus | Find eBay Misspellings - Grab A Bargain! ]



Viewing Cyprus Eastern Forum Archive - Lo-Fi Version | Visit Cyprus Eastern Forum - Full Version | Questions?

TOP TIP: BUYING PROPERTY IN CYPRUS? PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOU SEEK INDEPENDANT LEGAL ADVICE FIRST.
Cyprus forum covering Kapparis, Protaras, Pernera, Agia Napa, Agia Thekla, Paralimni, Larnaca, Oroklini, Pervolia & surrounding areas
Please note that the views expressed on this forum are those of the author and may not reflect the views of the management.