Cyprus Eastern Forum Archive


This is a text archive version of our main content. To view the full site with more information, features, formatting and images please click here.

>> Eastern Cyprus Forum Archive Index

View The Full Original Topic: A week of confrontation


>> Have YOUR say - Post A Reply To This Topic

Posted By: danny and denise

  • Woodrow Why?at wrote:
    Bill reminds me of the story of the young man who joined a monastery, which was home to a silent order of monks. They were, however, allowed to speak once every seven years.
    At the end of that first period the head monk asked the young man if he had anything to say and he replied, "The puddings aren't very good!"
    Another seven years passed and when he was again allowed to speak he said "The puddings haven't improved any!"
    Seven more years went by and when asked again if he had anything to say he said, "Well, actually two things. Firstly, I still don't rate the puddings and secondly I've actually decided to leave!"
    The head monk looked him up and down and replied, "Frankly I'm not sorry you've decided to go.................. YOU"VE DONE NOTHING BUT COMPLAIN SINCE YOU GOT HERE!!!!!!!!!!
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Freind of mine lived next door to monastrey, one night hes laying in bed and hears all sorts of screaming and shouting and noise coming from next door, after about two hours he's had enough and gets up and bangs on the door, a monk opens the the door:
and my mate says"its 3 in the morning and whats all the noise.
The monk says "were holding a monks ball"
My mate says "for f**k's sake let it go" :lol:



Posted By: mouse

  • Woodrow Why?at wrote:
    Bill reminds me of the story of the young man who joined a monastery, which was home to a silent order of monks. They were, however, allowed to speak once every seven years.
    At the end of that first period the head monk asked the young man if he had anything to say and he replied, "The puddings aren't very good!"
    Another seven years passed and when he was again allowed to speak he said "The puddings haven't improved any!"
    Seven more years went by and when asked again if he had anything to say he said, "Well, actually two things. Firstly, I still don't rate the puddings and secondly I've actually decided to leave!"
    The head monk looked him up and down and replied, "Frankly I'm not sorry you've decided to go.................. YOU"VE DONE NOTHING BUT COMPLAIN SINCE YOU GOT HERE!!!!!!!!!!
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Must of been a whinging Brit. :lol:

Posted By: spurs

At the end of the day you will find racists and bigots every where you go, you even come across them on this forum, just sad S*** stirrers without a life........

Posted By: spurs

  • Andrew Brooks wrote:
    Well said Woodie.
    For myself, the main issue concerning present day Cyprus, is the way the people seem to have changed. I shared a few beers with a British Cypriot recently whose family had left for Britain as refugees. He had returned as a child for a couple of years, again as a young adult and again is here trying to sort out property issues in the north. He is dealing directly with the northern/ Turkish authorities and cannot believe the stick and tunnel vision he receives from Greek Cypriot friends and family.He commented how polite people were in the north, how welcoming.Even down to the way they drive !
    He now largely finds the people in the south to be greedy, arrogant and often corrupt.
    One example of this would appear to be the way the arrival of Lidl on the island is being treated. The big three French, German and Cypriot supermarket chains are fighting tooth and nail to stop Lidl bringing down prices.Hence opening dates are delayed. The government may try to reduce ridiculous profiteering by the supermarkets but these people have friends in 'high places'.One supermarket chief complained that he wanted to keep his profits at the same high level and would not comply. Rather than let free competition benefit the often hard pressed majority,these people have become a law unto themselves.
    It is the same wherever you look.
    This attitude is unsustainable in the long term but why worry about tomorrow? Just stuff your pockets as full as you can, while you can.
.......Im sure you have proof on what you claim....because if someone from the supermarkets reads your statements on here and decides to ask you to repeat them in a court of law....... .......

Posted By: bill

The week started badly when I took my wife to visit her friend who lives in the other side of Larnaca last sunday.
Parked up outside her house and as I was getting out of the car realised there was a black merc behind me blowing his horn ~ the driver of the Merc shouted for me to park somewhere else as that was his parking place ~ I asked where he lived and he waved his hand towards the house next door ~ I told him to park outside his own house and to leave me alone as I was visiting the house I was parked outside .
He jumped up and down and shouted that I should go back to the UK and leave Cyprus to the Cypriots ~ I looked at his house and there was a perfectly good drive to park on ~ so I suggested he either parks outside his own house or parks on his own drive ~ he replied that his wife would be home shortly and always parks outside his house and he always parks where I had parked ~ his drive seems out of bounds because that's where the kids play .
I walked off whilst he was still shouting that the English were not wanted in Cyprus and to move the car ~ "go back where you came from and take that excuse for a car with you" were the last words I heard before disappearing into my wifes friends house.
Turns out the guy has recently moved into the area ( couple of months ago) and comes believe it or not from the UK ( a english Cypriot ) what a nasty package .
Seems he's a bit of a bully boy so I ended up moving my car for my wifes friends peace of mind ~ I was tempted to leave it there for a couple of days just to prove a point until my wifes friend said it would probably be damaged if I didn't move it and she would get problems from this guy afterwards.
Monday
Had two cars pull out in front of me ~ one out of a side street ( he just didn't look ) and one whilst I was going round a roundabout ( no intention of stopping ) ~ heart stopping stuff but usual for Cyprus ~ I'm just about getting used to it now.
Tuesday ~ didn't go out in car ~ which I felt was a wise move :roll: .
Wednesday
Going down a one way street in Larnaca and found a car coming towards me in the wrong direction ~ I stopped and motioned that she should back up ~ there was only room for one car along this street and I was already three quarters of the way along the one way so I just sat there and waited listening to her blowing the horn and screaming "get out of my way" some how she guessed I was British and stuborn ~ after around 30 mins she reversed back down the one way helped by the many local residents who had come out of their houses to see what the fuss and noise was all about and a couple of drivers who were stuck behind me .
What amased me was she waited til I and the drivers behind me had moved and then had another attempt at going down the street the wrong way :shock:
Thursday
Approaching a local bread shop when one of the parked cars pulled out in front of me quickly followed by a car that I thought was on the other side of the road swerving across the front of me to take the newly vacated parking space blissfully unaware of me skidding towards him :evil: :roll:
Friday ~ today
This time not driving related ~ for a change .
As it was such a nice day I decided to have a bite to eat on the Larnaca sea front .
Picked a table (outside) well away from other diners so I could have a ciggy after my meal without upsetting anyone.
Before I had finished my meal, two couples ( holidaymakers ) had occupied the table next to me .
As they were just having drinks and not actually eating I lit up after my meal ~ Oh dear what a load of abuse they threw at me for daring to smoke next to them including threatening to send for the police as it was illegal to smoke in public now :? :shock: .
The manager was called (whom I know well ) and he suggested they move to another table or perhaps go inside where there were definately no smokers but they insisted that as I was the smoker it should be me that should move ~ I wasn't going to move nor were they so I endured the abuse until I'd finished that ciggy and another one ~ I left after I'd had my second coffee ~ the two guys with the women were almost silent as all of the complaints came from the women ~ I'm afraid I would be doing a minimum of 10 years now if I was married to one of those women :lol: .
I'm convinced that I was set up as my ciggy packet and lighter were clearly visable on my table when they arrived and they chose the table next to me even though there were empty tables further away ~ talk about nasty people :evil: .
I managed to get through the rest of the day without any further problems ~~ but guess what I'm not leaving the house tomorrow just in case ~ it's just not worth the hassle.
I came to Cyprus for peace and quiet but I'm certainly not going to be walked all over by bullies like I've experienced this week .
Bill

Posted By: pantheman

Good grief Bill you lead an exciting life :lol: :lol:

Posted By: bill

  • pantheman wrote:
    Good grief Bill you lead an exciting life :lol: :lol:

Not really but you could say I have a 'off' week every so often and this week has certainly been one of them :(
Bill

Posted By: spurs

You ain't going to last long here mate, did everything you did when I first arrived,all you will achieve is for your blood pressure to go sky high. they will grind you down.....and make you ill, as I said you wont last long..





Posted By: bill

  • spurs wrote:
    You ain't going to last long here mate, did everything you did when I first arrived,all you will achieve is for your blood pressure to go sky high. they will grind you down.....and make you ill, as I said you wont last long..

Sorry to disapoint you spurs but I'll be OK ~it'll be the others bursting a blood vessel not me .
apart from my smoking probably shortening my life expectancy the other bits won't worry me at all ~ in fact it usually promotes a smile .
The guy shouting about me parking in his spot will be gone long before I will~~ I did smile that this guy was a Cypriot from the UK who now he's in Cyprus thinks he owns the place.
The only thing I can see that would really worry me in Cyprus would be waiting for my title deeds but as I've already got them there's no worries there ~~ OK the red tape gets me sometimes but it's something I'm learning to cope with .
If people choose to have a go at me they have to be prepared to get frustrated ( very frustrated ) at my response .
Bill

Posted By: dawnnett

Fair Play to you Bill These Bullies are every where , dont let them win Dawn

Posted By: spurs

Firstly I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe you blocked the road for thirty minutes no cypriot would wait half an hour for you to make your point no way, secondly theirs one of you and you will come up against this all the time over here if you continue with your mind set that they won't beat me , well trust me they will, and I repeat you wont last long here if you stay with your attitude you will have a miserable existence in Cyprus....I'm not having a pop at you, its just that me and others I know had the same attitude as you, and guess what they beat us as ..they will beat you too...

Posted By: Andrew Brooks

Dear, dear me. I was chatting to an English couple yesterday who had been living here for 20 years. They confirmed to me , just how much Cyprus has changed for the worse in their time and not just cost of living. I believe that Cypriots who share the view that foreigners, unless they are virtually slave labourers, should leave, would be advised to be careful what they wish for.The economy, which is already in big trouble and has been supported by foreigners visiting and spending on the island, will implode if the current trend continues. Years ago the people had a reputation for being warm and welcoming, nowadays it is with exceptions, more of an arrogant, rip off culture. As an EU citizen who pays his way, I have chosen to live here for a few years but I am already looking ahead and this Cyprus does not figure high on my list for the future. I fully expect to be told to 'clear off then' by some and that would only further confirm my observations.

Posted By: LisaJ

Interesting posts and in summary this has what has put me off ever visiting Cyprus again! Mark

Posted By: pantheman

I wouldn't let the sticks and stones bother me. being told to clear off is just the idiots way of trying to get one over on you. I was born in the UK and lived there all my life and if I had a penny for every one who said to me "F greek b****** go back to your own country" I' would have been very rich by now. I understand what Spurs is saying , because I have already experienced it. In the end I just gave up and went with the flow. It was the only way I could live here happily. Now I give as good as I get :lol: :lol: :lol: If its any consolation Bill, what that plonker in the mercdid to you, they do it to everyone not just foreigners. They just think they are somebodies.

Posted By: Andrew Brooks

  • pantheman wrote:
    I wouldn't let the sticks and stones bother me. being told to clear off is just the idiots way of trying to get one over on you.
    I was born in the UK and lived there all my life and if I had a penny for every one who said to me "F greek b****** go back to your own country" I' would have been very rich by now.
    I understand what Spurs is saying , because I have already experienced it. In the end I just gave up and went with the flow. It was the only way I could live here happily. Now I give as good as I get :lol: :lol: :lol:
    If its any consolation Bill, what that plonker in the mercdid to you, they do it to everyone not just foreigners.
    They just think they are somebodies.

Surprised they were astute enough to call you 'Greek' Pan. I would have thought that 'Paki' was the usual insult for anyone of a darker complexion.



Posted By: spurs

I agree big car small dick syndrome....that idiot would of given abuse who ever you were the fact he saw you were English gave him an excuse to have a pop at the English, had it been a fat guy then you would of got an earful about being fat its not an anti English thing its about uneducated morons, you will find them in every corner of the world not only Cyprus...

Posted By: pantheman

  • Andrew Brooks wrote:
    • pantheman wrote:
      I wouldn't let the sticks and stones bother me. being told to clear off is just the idiots way of trying to get one over on you.
      I was born in the UK and lived there all my life and if I had a penny for every one who said to me "F greek b****** go back to your own country" I' would have been very rich by now.
      I understand what Spurs is saying , because I have already experienced it. In the end I just gave up and went with the flow. It was the only way I could live here happily. Now I give as good as I get :lol: :lol: :lol:
      If its any consolation Bill, what that plonker in the mercdid to you, they do it to everyone not just foreigners.
      They just think they are somebodies.

    Surprised they were astute enough to call you 'Greek' Pan. I would have thought that 'Paki' was the usual insult for anyone of a darker complexion.

Andrew, in the main these were people who know where we were from. Some even prestnded to be friends until they thought you weren't listening. And my skin complextion is probably fairer than yours :lol: :lol: You have already started making assumptions again :wink:
The world is full of idiots sadly, and these things are always going to happen, even in so called "civilised" countries, so I wouldn't read too much into it.

Posted By: Andrew Brooks

  • spurs wrote:
    I agree big car small dick syndrome....that idiot would of given abuse who ever you were the fact he saw you were English gave him an excuse to have a pop at the English, had it been a fat guy then you would of got an earful about being fat its not an anti English thing its about uneducated morons, you will find them in every corner of the world not only Cyprus...

Took your tip on the family restaurant in Faneromenis. Very helpful and friendly service. The meze for 3 was too much for 4 of us ! Found some of the food not to my 'English' taste but enjoyed enough items to be able to return and select from the menu. Thanks for the heads up.

Posted By: spurs

Cheers I must admit I haven't been there for over a year, will check it out again.

Posted By: Andrew Brooks

  • pantheman wrote:
    • Andrew Brooks wrote:
      • pantheman wrote:
        I wouldn't let the sticks and stones bother me. being told to clear off is just the idiots way of trying to get one over on you.
        I was born in the UK and lived there all my life and if I had a penny for every one who said to me "F greek b****** go back to your own country" I' would have been very rich by now.
        I understand what Spurs is saying , because I have already experienced it. In the end I just gave up and went with the flow. It was the only way I could live here happily. Now I give as good as I get :lol: :lol: :lol:
        If its any consolation Bill, what that plonker in the mercdid to you, they do it to everyone not just foreigners.
        They just think they are somebodies.

      Surprised they were astute enough to call you 'Greek' Pan. I would have thought that 'Paki' was the usual insult for anyone of a darker complexion.

    Andrew, in the main these were people who know where we were from. Some even prestnded to be friends until they thought you weren't listening. And my skin complextion is probably fairer than yours :lol: :lol: You have already started making assumptions again :wink:
    The world is full of idiots sadly, and these things are always going to happen, even in so called "civilised" countries, so I wouldn't read too much into it.

:lol: You must be from the original Greek stock then Pan. Weren't they usually depicted as being athletic, tall and blue eyed ?
Not making any assumptions of course. :wink:
ps how did you know I was black ?

Posted By: Gashead

Wait till next week, it'll all kick off... there'll be a crisp packet in your garden, you won't get a seat on the 42 bus and the corner shop will sell out of mint humbugs.

Posted By: MCM Carrington

Bill, Get yourself a Merc, then get like them!



Posted By: pantheman

  • MCM Carrington wrote:
    Bill, Get yourself a Merc, then get like them!

he'd be better off on a donkey :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now you know what they say about donkey and things don't ya!

Posted By: LisaJ

It seems you encounter this small minded mentality wherever you go in the world. Seems standards and consideration for others well being have fallen to there lowest point ever. Don't know whether its because of the recession or what but I notice it in the UK too. Seems people are to preoccupied with their own self worth. Wonder if their personna is different outside than at home within the confines of their own home. I suggest it is!! Mark

Posted By: spurs

Not a recession thing , there's always been bullies, low lifes and selfish people unfortunately years ago they were looked down on nowadays people make celebrities out of them and want to emulate them

Posted By: Woodrow Why?at

  • bill wrote:
    • spurs wrote:
      You ain't going to last long here mate, did everything you did when I first arrived,all you will achieve is for your blood pressure to go sky high. they will grind you down.....and make you ill, as I said you wont last long..

    The guy shouting about me parking in his spot will be gone long before I will~~ I did smile that this guy was a Cypriot from the UK who now he's in Cyprus thinks he owns the place.
    Bill

Bill, don't tell us that's the first one of those that you've met here!? :lol:

In fact I think there may be one or two a lot closer to "home"!! :wink:

Posted By: Baggieboy

Did you point out that it is in fact perfectly legal to smoke outside? Or was she the "refuses to listen to logic" type?

Posted By: bill

  • Woodrow Why?at wrote:
    • bill wrote:
      • spurs wrote:
        You ain't going to last long here mate, did everything you did when I first arrived,all you will achieve is for your blood pressure to go sky high. they will grind you down.....and make you ill, as I said you wont last long..

      The guy shouting about me parking in his spot will be gone long before I will~~ I did smile that this guy was a Cypriot from the UK who now he's in Cyprus thinks he owns the place.
      Bill

    Bill, don't tell us that's the first one of those that you've met here!? :lol:

    In fact I think there may be one or two a lot closer to "home"!! :wink:

After three years of living here and over 20 years of holidaying in Cyprus he's obviously not the first I've met here but he was without doubt the most nasty.
Closer to home ~ yes met them too
Bill

Posted By: bill

  • Baggieboy wrote:
    Did you point out that it is in fact perfectly legal to smoke outside? Or was she the "refuses to listen to logic" type?

Yes, the more vocal of the two ladies :roll: was the 'I'm always right and refused to listen type' ~ I'm still convinced that they sat next to me so they could complain as soon as I lit up .
Bill



Posted By: bill

  • spurs wrote:

    Firstly I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe you blocked the road for thirty minutes no cypriot would wait half an hour for you to make your point no way, secondly theirs one of you and you will come up against this all the time over here if you continue with your mind set that they won't beat me , well trust me they will, and I repeat you wont last long here if you stay with your attitude you will have a miserable existence in Cyprus....I'm not having a pop at you, its just that me and others I know had the same attitude as you, and guess what they beat us as ..they will beat you too...

It's up to you whether you believe me or not ~ I put a cd on whilst I was waiting and it played 18 tracks before I moved which is probably more than 30 mins .
The silly bitch sat talking on her mobile in between honking her horn and shouting at me ~ then she was arguing with the local residents who were eventually joined by the drivers of the two cars that were behind me ~ they eventually got her to back up about 40 yards to let us pass .
I still can't believe she waited for us to pass and then had another attempt at going down that street the wrong way ~ stuborn lady :roll:

Posted By: bill

  • MCM Carrington wrote:
    Bill, Get yourself a Merc, then get like them!

I'm quite happy with my Mazda thank you even though my Cypriot friends ( who are up to their necks in debt ) do have a go at me for buying a cheap car when I could probably afford a new Merc .
Bill

Posted By: bill

  • pantheman wrote:
    I wouldn't let the sticks and stones bother me. being told to clear off is just the idiots way of trying to get one over on you.
    I was born in the UK and lived there all my life and if I had a penny for every one who said to me "F greek b****** go back to your own country" I' would have been very rich by now.
    .

Better than being called a wog as I was when I first arrived in the UK at the age of eight, little did they know that as I only spoke Greek and Arabic I hadn't a clue what they were saying :lol: so it had very little effect on me
Bill

Posted By: zam

Looks like you have had a bad week of it Bill! You would think the couple moaning about you smoking would have realised it is legal to smoke outside. Sounds like the type who look out for something to moan about and as for the merc driver rude or what! Mind you I have noticed in the Uk how people are so rude. Supermarkets seem the worst, people with trollies nearly barge into you or shove past, no excuse me then give you a filthy look as if it is your fault. People seem to have forgotten any manners these days and it isn't always younger people either. :(

Posted By: mike4u

i saw here in cy the english people have good manners and they are not rude ! i dont know how they are back home . but here they are quite ok about the cypriots, (most of them ), i dont even bother to have contacts or friends among them . just let them be . and one more thing . here is not europe , here you are much much closer to middle east ,hence the cypriot way to be . i some sort of a big village, one step away from lebanon :)

Posted By: shuggybear

  • Andrew Brooks wrote:
    Dear, dear me. I was chatting to an English couple yesterday who had been living here for 20 years. They confirmed to me , just how much Cyprus has changed for the worse in their time and not just cost of living.
    I believe that Cypriots who share the view that foreigners, unless they are virtually slave labourers, should leave, would be advised to be careful what they wish for.The economy, which is already in big trouble and has been supported by foreigners visiting and spending on the island, will implode if the current trend continues. Years ago the people had a reputation for being warm and welcoming, nowadays it is with exceptions, more of an arrogant, rip off culture.
    As an EU citizen who pays his way, I have chosen to live here for a few years but I am already looking ahead and this Cyprus does not figure high on my list for the future.
    I fully expect to be told to 'clear off then' by some and that would only further confirm my observations.

with you all the way on this one if i could win the lotto would be off

Posted By: don

Have you ever heard of the saying " Money is the root of all evil" many years ago the Cypriots were poor and humble, now they have money the attitude changes not just in Cyprus but everywhere.
  • Andrew Brooks wrote:
    Dear, dear me. I was chatting to an English couple yesterday who had been living here for 20 years. They confirmed to me , just how much Cyprus has changed for the worse in their time and not just cost of living.
    I believe that Cypriots who share the view that foreigners, unless they are virtually slave labourers, should leave, would be advised to be careful what they wish for.The economy, which is already in big trouble and has been supported by foreigners visiting and spending on the island, will implode if the current trend continues. Years ago the people had a reputation for being warm and welcoming, nowadays it is with exceptions, more of an arrogant, rip off culture.
    As an EU citizen who pays his way, I have chosen to live here for a few years but I am already looking ahead and this Cyprus does not figure high on my list for the future.
    I fully expect to be told to 'clear off then' by some and that would only further confirm my observations.






Posted By: annforbes

sorry about your 'difficult week'. Yes we have met some of that while driving. I recently met someone in the Ozone coffee morning who has moved from Larnaca as she didn't like some of the attitudes she experienced there and said we are much nicer (Expats and others!) in the Paralimni and surrounding areas! there seems to be less of that here!

Posted By: mouse

  • annforbes wrote:
    sorry about your 'difficult week'. Yes we have met some of that while driving.
    I recently met someone in the Ozone coffee morning who has moved from Larnaca as she didn't like some of the attitudes she experienced there and said we are much nicer (Expats and others!) in the Paralimni and surrounding areas!
    there seems to be less of that here!

:lol:

Posted By: 2diffs

My recommendation is to learn a little Greek........Swearwords and rude expressions, I got a list of appropriate "sayings" from a Cypriot friend which I learned by heart, start by saying them under your breath when you get cut up etc in the car, eventually they will roll off the tongue like a local, then wind the window down and say it loud! Irony and sarcasm also works well.


Posted By: AskCy

I don't know how true this is but... My Grandad was a prisoner of war (true) captured by the Japanese (as far as I'm aware he wasn't making this up) and they (him and the other prisoners) used to call their captors "wogs" which he said stood for "western orientilised gentlemen". .. now it makes little sense to me, as wouldn't they be Eastern ?... or maybe I miss understood him (I was only tiny) and their captors called him and his mates it ?...or maybe it was just my grandad making up something to cover a word that might have been said? (although I never heard my grandad or any of the family swearing or having and bad comments for anyone regardless of race/creed/colour as I grew up)... ?

Posted By: MCM Carrington

A couple of years ago, we were in Limassol having a meal, the very freindly Cypriot guy's who were in charge asked us if we were on holday, i said, yes, but in Paralimni. They sat for a good while chatting, so I ventured to tell them I thought the locals weren't very friendly around Paralimni, one said, 'No, because they are peasants up there,here we are much more modern and civilized. :shock:

Posted By: bill

  • 2diffs wrote:
    My recommendation is to learn a little Greek........Swearwords and rude expressions, I got a list of appropriate "sayings" from a Cypriot friend which I learned by heart, start by saying them under your breath when you get cut up etc in the car, eventually they will roll off the tongue like a local, then wind the window down and say it loud! Irony and sarcasm also works well .

I didn't give the guy with Merc the satisfaction of me losing my temper ~ I would rather him burst a blood vessel by starting a argument but getting no response from me 8)
As I have a Cypriot wife I'm well versed in Cypriot style swearwords :lol:
Bill

Posted By: bill

  • spurs wrote:
    I agree big car small dick syndrome....that idiot would of given abuse who ever you were the fact he saw you were English gave him an excuse to have a pop at the English, had it been a fat guy then you would of got an earful about being fat its not an anti English thing its about uneducated morons, you will find them in every corner of the world not only Cyprus...

Do you think that there are no anti British feelings amonst the Cypriots then spurs .
Bill

Posted By: bill

  • MCM Carrington wrote:
    A couple of years ago, we were in Limassol having a meal, the very freindly Cypriot guy's who were in charge asked us if we were on holday, i said, yes, but in Paralimni. They sat for a good while chatting, so I ventured to tell them I thought the locals weren't very friendly around Paralimni, one said, 'No, because they are peasants up there,here we are much more modern and civilized. :shock:

To be quite honest I've found village folk a lot more friendly than town people ~ In Limassol and Nicosia they seem to be full of their own importance and look down on others.
Bill

Posted By: spurs

  • bill wrote:
    • spurs wrote:
      I agree big car small dick syndrome....that idiot would of given abuse who ever you were the fact he saw you were English gave him an excuse to have a pop at the English, had it been a fat guy then you would of got an earful about being fat its not an anti English thing its about uneducated morons, you will find them in every corner of the world not only Cyprus...

    Do you think that there are no anti British feelings amonst the Cypriots then spurs .
    Bill
....There is anti British feelings amongst some of the Cypriots ..as there is anti Cypriot feeling amongst some of the British.........whats your point,,

Posted By: MCM Carrington

There are good an bad everywhere, in every corner of the world, but if you have a week like Bill had, it's makes you kinda paranoid, it's only human.

Posted By: Michael Payne

As someone who moved to Cyprus in 1997 and has a son who was educated in Paralimni and speaks fluent Greek there are certainly more anti British than pro British Cypriots.

Posted By: Andrew Brooks

  • Michael Payne wrote:
    As someone who moved to Cyprus in 1997 and has a son who was educated in Paralimni and speaks fluent Greek there are certainly more anti British than pro British Cypriots.

:lol: Nobody likes us but we don't effin care ! :lol:

Posted By: spurs

  • Michael Payne wrote:
    As someone who moved to Cyprus in 1997 and has a son who was educated in Paralimni and speaks fluent Greek there are certainly more anti British than pro British Cypriots.
........And reading the posts on here every day, there are certainly more anti Cypriot then pro Cypriot Brits....

Posted By: Woodrow Why?at

  • spurs wrote:
    • Michael Payne wrote:
      As someone who moved to Cyprus in 1997 and has a son who was educated in Paralimni and speaks fluent Greek there are certainly more anti British than pro British Cypriots.
    ........And reading the posts on here every day, there are certainly more anti Cypriot then pro Cypriot Brits....

Or so it would seem to pseudo Cypriopt's with a chip on their shoulder!

Posted By: spurs

  • Woodrow Why?at wrote:
    • spurs wrote:
      • Michael Payne wrote:
        As someone who moved to Cyprus in 1997 and has a son who was educated in Paralimni and speaks fluent Greek there are certainly more anti British than pro British Cypriots.
      ........And reading the posts on here every day, there are certainly more anti Cypriot then pro Cypriot Brits....

    Or so it would seem to pseudo Cypriopt's with a chip on their shoulder!
.........From the man who has a rock on each shoulder

Posted By: MCM Carrington

Here's news, they are not anti-British, they are anti-English.

Posted By: Woodrow Why?at

  • spurs wrote:
    • Woodrow Why?at wrote:
      • spurs wrote:
        • Michael Payne wrote:
          As someone who moved to Cyprus in 1997 and has a son who was educated in Paralimni and speaks fluent Greek there are certainly more anti British than pro British Cypriots.
        ........And reading the posts on here every day, there are certainly more anti Cypriot then pro Cypriot Brits....

      Or so it would seem to pseudo Cypriopt's with a chip on their shoulder!
    .........From the man who has a rock on each shoulder

Not sure where you get that conclusion from, but whatever, at least I am able to put a viewpoint, and even disagree with somebody ,without resorting to abuse and personal insults!

Posted By: spurs

  • Woodrow Why?at wrote:
    • spurs wrote:
      • Woodrow Why?at wrote:
        • spurs wrote:
          • Michael Payne wrote:
            As someone who moved to Cyprus in 1997 and has a son who was educated in Paralimni and speaks fluent Greek there are certainly more anti British than pro British Cypriots.
          ........And reading the posts on here every day, there are certainly more anti Cypriot then pro Cypriot Brits....

        Or so it would seem to pseudo Cypriopt's with a chip on their shoulder!
      .........From the man who has a rock on each shoulder

    Not sure where you get that conclusion from, but whatever, at least I am able to put a viewpoint, and even disagree with somebody ,without resorting to abuse and personal insults!
.....I get that conclusion by the bitter posts you keep posting......I dont see any personal insults At least I have the balls to say it how I see it, unlike you who slip snide remarks in, from now on I shall only respond to people who make honest remarks and not to people who just like to sh** s***r

Posted By: Woodrow Why?at

  • spurs wrote:
    • Woodrow Why?at wrote:
      • spurs wrote:
        • Woodrow Why?at wrote:
          • spurs wrote:
            • Michael Payne wrote:
              As someone who moved to Cyprus in 1997 and has a son who was educated in Paralimni and speaks fluent Greek there are certainly more anti British than pro British Cypriots.
            ........And reading the posts on here every day, there are certainly more anti Cypriot then pro Cypriot Brits....

          Or so it would seem to pseudo Cypriopt's with a chip on their shoulder!
        .........From the man who has a rock on each shoulder

      Not sure where you get that conclusion from, but whatever, at least I am able to put a viewpoint, and even disagree with somebody ,without resorting to abuse and personal insults!
    .....I get that conclusion by the bitter posts you keep posting......I dont see any personal insults At least I have the balls to say it how I see it, unlike you who slip snide remarks in, from now on I shall only respond to people who make honest remarks and not to people who just like to sh** s***r

"Bitter"? Little ol' sweetie me, surely not? :?
"Snide" - well now you're just being hurtful! :cry:
But I'm sure you didn't mean to be, because as you say "I don't see any personal insults!" :roll:
Still, great news that you've promised to cut down on your responses. :lol:
Not quite as good as Cansweet, on another thread, assuring us that we won't be hearing from him again, but certainly a step in the right direction!
Oops, sorry, was that the teeniest bit snide? :lol: :lol:

Posted By: Steve - SJD

Has anyone got anything constructive to add to this thread? Come on folks - some of you are just showing yourselves up now. Cheers Steve

Posted By: spanner

In the more than three decades that I have been here, I have had abuse from Cypriots, but it has never been related to the fact that I am British. The large influx of British ex-pats over the last 10-15 years has seen a lot of them trying to change Cyprus in to the UK with sunshine. Cypriots don't appreciate this, and neither do I. Learning the ways and the language of Cypriots is the only way to integrate. The lack of integration is something many Brits complain about with regard to immigrants in to the UK. So why shouldn't Cypriots get upset with foreigners that don't want to integrate here. I am quite often called a "pushto-englezo", but it is not done with malice, and I just return the compliment and call them "pushto-kypreia"! I don't really want to join the "go home" brigade, but if you are not willing to accept Cyprus as it is, you always have that option. I really dread the demise of the "siga-siga" attitude here, you just need to get used to it and go with the flow.

Posted By: Woodrow Why?at

  • spanner wrote:
    In the more than three decades that I have been here, I have had abuse from Cypriots, but it has never been related to the fact that I am British.
    The large influx of British ex-pats over the last 10-15 years has seen a lot of them trying to change Cyprus in to the UK with sunshine. Cypriots don't appreciate this, and neither do I.
    Learning the ways and the language of Cypriots is the only way to integrate. The lack of integration is something many Brits complain about with regard to immigrants in to the UK. So why shouldn't Cypriots get upset with foreigners that don't want to integrate here.
    I am quite often called a "pushto-englezo", but it is not done with malice, and I just return the compliment and call them "pushto-kypreia"!
    I don't really want to join the "go home" brigade, but if you are not willing to accept Cyprus as it is, you always have that option.
    I really dread the demise of the "siga-siga" attitude here, you just need to get used to it and go with the flow.

Not quite sure what you think ex-pats are doing to try and "change Cyprus
into the UK with sunshine."
One of the biggest advantages that Cyprus has, as a destination of choice for many retiree's, is that it has always had (at least in modern times) a smattering of "Britishness" about it, which adds to the feeling of security and comfort for any new arrival. This would be due in no small part to the close relationship that exists between our two countries and the fact that many Cypriots have lived for a long time in the UK before returning home.
Of course another reason for us moving here, as opposed to some other destination, was that we didn't NEED to learn a foreign language because English is so widely spoken. Obviously, learning Greek would be an advantage, and full credit to those that take the trouble, but I think it is apparent that it is by no means an essential requirement.
Should there be any doubt (and there obviously has been) I LOVE living here, and I, and nearly everybody else I know, embrace most things Cypriot and have no wish for it to change to any degree.
However, there are a few things which could be improved upon for the common good of ex-pats and Cypriots alike, and we should not be curtailed in our efforts to highlight them.
Or, are we meant to keep quiet and not comment, for example, on the mistreatment of animals? Many Cypriots are involved in animal welfare so this is a united cause.
And it doesn't matter if you're English, Cypriot or whatever if you're lying dead in the road because of some lunatic driver!
Again, the lack of title deeds and the possibility of losing one's greatest material asset, is an issue that affects all home owners in the community, regardless of nationality.
And do Cypriots enjoy being ripped off with high prices any more than the Brit's?
So, when we raise concerns and question some issues, it is not because we have an antipathy towards the country, or because we're being racist or just needlessly moaning, it is because good as Cyprus is, it can always be improved upon, for the benefit of all.
And I don't see how anybody could realistically object to that!

Posted By: mouse

  • Woodrow Why?at wrote:
    • spanner wrote:
      In the more than three decades that I have been here, I have had abuse from Cypriots, but it has never been related to the fact that I am British.
      The large influx of British ex-pats over the last 10-15 years has seen a lot of them trying to change Cyprus in to the UK with sunshine. Cypriots don't appreciate this, and neither do I.
      Learning the ways and the language of Cypriots is the only way to integrate. The lack of integration is something many Brits complain about with regard to immigrants in to the UK. So why shouldn't Cypriots get upset with foreigners that don't want to integrate here.
      I am quite often called a "pushto-englezo", but it is not done with malice, and I just return the compliment and call them "pushto-kypreia"!
      I don't really want to join the "go home" brigade, but if you are not willing to accept Cyprus as it is, you always have that option.
      I really dread the demise of the "siga-siga" attitude here, you just need to get used to it and go with the flow.

    Not quite sure what you think ex-pats are doing to try and "change Cyprus
    into the UK with sunshine."
    One of the biggest advantages that Cyprus has, as a destination of choice for many retiree's, is that it has always had (at least in modern times) a smattering of "Britishness" about it, which adds to the feeling of security and comfort for any new arrival. This would be due in no small part to the close relationship that exists between our two countries and the fact that many Cypriots have lived for a long time in the UK before returning home.
    Of course another reason for us moving here, as opposed to some other destination, was that we didn't NEED to learn a foreign language because English is so widely spoken. Obviously, learning Greek would be an advantage, and full credit to those that take the trouble, but I think it is apparent that it is by no means an essential requirement.
    Should there be any doubt (and there obviously has been) I LOVE living here, and I, and nearly everybody else I know, embrace most things Cypriot and have no wish for it to change to any degree.
    However, there are a few things which could be improved upon for the common good of ex-pats and Cypriots alike, and we should not be curtailed in our efforts to highlight them.
    Or, are we meant to keep quiet and not comment, for example, on the mistreatment of animals? Many Cypriots are involved in animal welfare so this is a united cause.
    And it doesn't matter if you're English, Cypriot or whatever if you're lying dead in the road because of some lunatic driver!
    Again, the lack of title deeds and the possibility of losing one's greatest material asset, is an issue that affects all home owners in the community, regardless of nationality.
    And do Cypriots enjoy being ripped off with high prices any more than the Brit's?
    So, when we raise concerns and question some issues, it is not because we have an antipathy towards the country, or because we're being racist or just needlessly moaning, it is because good as Cyprus is, it can always be improved upon, for the benefit of all.
    And I don't see how anybody could realistically object to that!

And So Say All of Us, well most of us anyway. :wink:
I was always taught to treat people the way you expected them to treat yourself or something like that anyway.

Posted By: Woodrow Why?at

Thanks for the endorsement, Kevin. After "a week of confrontation" it's much appreciated. :wink:

Posted By: MCM Carrington

Excellent post Woody!

Posted By: Nemesis

Totally agree with Woody, well said. Nemesis

Posted By: Andrew Brooks

Well said Woodie. For myself, the main issue concerning present day Cyprus, is the way the people seem to have changed. I shared a few beers with a British Cypriot recently whose family had left for Britain as refugees. He had returned as a child for a couple of years, again as a young adult and again is here trying to sort out property issues in the north. He is dealing directly with the northern/ Turkish authorities and cannot believe the stick and tunnel vision he receives from Greek Cypriot friends and family.He commented how polite people were in the north, how welcoming.Even down to the way they drive ! He now largely finds the people in the south to be greedy, arrogant and often corrupt. One example of this would appear to be the way the arrival of Lidl on the island is being treated. The big three French, German and Cypriot supermarket chains are fighting tooth and nail to stop Lidl bringing down prices.Hence opening dates are delayed. The government may try to reduce ridiculous profiteering by the supermarkets but these people have friends in 'high places'.One supermarket chief complained that he wanted to keep his profits at the same high level and would not comply. Rather than let free competition benefit the often hard pressed majority,these people have become a law unto themselves. It is the same wherever you look. This attitude is unsustainable in the long term but why worry about tomorrow? Just stuff your pockets as full as you can, while you can.

Posted By: marian510

I take the attitude, handle every stressful situation like a dog......if you can't eat it or hump it......pee on it and walk away.

Posted By: Andrew Brooks

  • spurs wrote:
    • Andrew Brooks wrote:
      Well said Woodie.
      For myself, the main issue concerning present day Cyprus, is the way the people seem to have changed. I shared a few beers with a British Cypriot recently whose family had left for Britain as refugees. He had returned as a child for a couple of years, again as a young adult and again is here trying to sort out property issues in the north. He is dealing directly with the northern/ Turkish authorities and cannot believe the stick and tunnel vision he receives from Greek Cypriot friends and family.He commented how polite people were in the north, how welcoming.Even down to the way they drive !
      He now largely finds the people in the south to be greedy, arrogant and often corrupt.
      One example of this would appear to be the way the arrival of Lidl on the island is being treated. The big three French, German and Cypriot supermarket chains are fighting tooth and nail to stop Lidl bringing down prices.Hence opening dates are delayed. The government may try to reduce ridiculous profiteering by the supermarkets but these people have friends in 'high places'.One supermarket chief complained that he wanted to keep his profits at the same high level and would not comply. Rather than let free competition benefit the often hard pressed majority,these people have become a law unto themselves.
      It is the same wherever you look.
      This attitude is unsustainable in the long term but why worry about tomorrow? Just stuff your pockets as full as you can, while you can.
    .......Im sure you have proof on what you claim....because if someone from the supermarkets reads your statements on here and decides to ask you to repeat them in a court of law....... .......

Court of law ? :lol: Yours is the kind of blind faith that sustains corruption and nepotism. Very sad and very village.

Posted By: spurs

Flights back to the UK every day from Larnaca and Pafos.....do us all a favour and take one and end your living hell in Cyprus, if you are one of these skint pensioners then I'm sure there's enough good folk on here who would love to chip in and end your miserable existence in Cyprus.....good luck back in Utopia and good riddance..

Posted By: pictureman

  • spurs wrote:
    • Andrew Brooks wrote:
      Well said Woodie.
      For myself, the main issue concerning present day Cyprus, is the way the people seem to have changed. I shared a few beers with a British Cypriot recently whose family had left for Britain as refugees. He had returned as a child for a couple of years, again as a young adult and again is here trying to sort out property issues in the north. He is dealing directly with the northern/ Turkish authorities and cannot believe the stick and tunnel vision he receives from Greek Cypriot friends and family.He commented how polite people were in the north, how welcoming.Even down to the way they drive !
      He now largely finds the people in the south to be greedy, arrogant and often corrupt.
      One example of this would appear to be the way the arrival of Lidl on the island is being treated. The big three French, German and Cypriot supermarket chains are fighting tooth and nail to stop Lidl bringing down prices.Hence opening dates are delayed. The government may try to reduce ridiculous profiteering by the supermarkets but these people have friends in 'high places'.One supermarket chief complained that he wanted to keep his profits at the same high level and would not comply. Rather than let free competition benefit the often hard pressed majority,these people have become a law unto themselves.
      It is the same wherever you look.
      This attitude is unsustainable in the long term but why worry about tomorrow? Just stuff your pockets as full as you can, while you can.
    .......Im sure you have proof on what you claim....because if someone from the supermarkets reads your statements on here and decides to ask you to repeat them in a court of law....... .......

I understand that there has already been a court case, and LIDL won it...theres even been a thread on Cyprus Forum about it which i think several members on here peruse...........

Posted By: spurs

Could you please give us some more information about this court case as I read the news every day and cant remember it...cheers

Posted By: don

And your point is ?
  • Andrew Brooks wrote:
    Well said Woodie.
    For myself, the main issue concerning present day Cyprus, is the way the people seem to have changed. I shared a few beers with a British Cypriot recently whose family had left for Britain as refugees. He had returned as a child for a couple of years, again as a young adult and again is here trying to sort out property issues in the north. He is dealing directly with the northern/ Turkish authorities and cannot believe the stick and tunnel vision he receives from Greek Cypriot friends and family.He commented how polite people were in the north, how welcoming.Even down to the way they drive !
    He now largely finds the people in the south to be greedy, arrogant and often corrupt.
    One example of this would appear to be the way the arrival of Lidl on the island is being treated. The big three French, German and Cypriot supermarket chains are fighting tooth and nail to stop Lidl bringing down prices.Hence opening dates are delayed. The government may try to reduce ridiculous profiteering by the supermarkets but these people have friends in 'high places'.One supermarket chief complained that he wanted to keep his profits at the same high level and would not comply. Rather than let free competition benefit the often hard pressed majority,these people have become a law unto themselves.
    It is the same wherever you look.
    This attitude is unsustainable in the long term but why worry about tomorrow? Just stuff your pockets as full as you can, while you can.


Posted By: don

Why didn't you move to Sri Lanka where you may still get treated like the days of the Raj because I think that is what you hate most about Cypriots is that they will tell you where to get off and you cannot stand that can you. It's just that Cypriots are not as poor as they used to be so don't take to getting on their knees anymore when one brings them M&S undies like they used to get the picture, if you want humble polite people then go to the North where they are still poor and humble, but beware the day will come when the North will prosper and the people there will have no more time for people like you either.
  • Andrew Brooks wrote:
    • spurs wrote:
      • Andrew Brooks wrote:
        Well said Woodie.
        For myself, the main issue concerning present day Cyprus, is the way the people seem to have changed. I shared a few beers with a British Cypriot recently whose family had left for Britain as refugees. He had returned as a child for a couple of years, again as a young adult and again is here trying to sort out property issues in the north. He is dealing directly with the northern/ Turkish authorities and cannot believe the stick and tunnel vision he receives from Greek Cypriot friends and family.He commented how polite people were in the north, how welcoming.Even down to the way they drive !
        He now largely finds the people in the south to be greedy, arrogant and often corrupt.
        One example of this would appear to be the way the arrival of Lidl on the island is being treated. The big three French, German and Cypriot supermarket chains are fighting tooth and nail to stop Lidl bringing down prices.Hence opening dates are delayed. The government may try to reduce ridiculous profiteering by the supermarkets but these people have friends in 'high places'.One supermarket chief complained that he wanted to keep his profits at the same high level and would not comply. Rather than let free competition benefit the often hard pressed majority,these people have become a law unto themselves.
        It is the same wherever you look.
        This attitude is unsustainable in the long term but why worry about tomorrow? Just stuff your pockets as full as you can, while you can.
      .......Im sure you have proof on what you claim....because if someone from the supermarkets reads your statements on here and decides to ask you to repeat them in a court of law....... .......

    Court of law ? :lol: Yours is the kind of blind faith that sustains corruption and nepotism. Very sad and very village.


Posted By: kanebill

A week of confrontation - what an apt title for this thread.

Posted By: Andrew Brooks

  • pictureman wrote:
    • spurs wrote:
      • Andrew Brooks wrote:
        Well said Woodie.
        For myself, the main issue concerning present day Cyprus, is the way the people seem to have changed. I shared a few beers with a British Cypriot recently whose family had left for Britain as refugees. He had returned as a child for a couple of years, again as a young adult and again is here trying to sort out property issues in the north. He is dealing directly with the northern/ Turkish authorities and cannot believe the stick and tunnel vision he receives from Greek Cypriot friends and family.He commented how polite people were in the north, how welcoming.Even down to the way they drive !
        He now largely finds the people in the south to be greedy, arrogant and often corrupt.
        One example of this would appear to be the way the arrival of Lidl on the island is being treated. The big three French, German and Cypriot supermarket chains are fighting tooth and nail to stop Lidl bringing down prices.Hence opening dates are delayed. The government may try to reduce ridiculous profiteering by the supermarkets but these people have friends in 'high places'.One supermarket chief complained that he wanted to keep his profits at the same high level and would not comply. Rather than let free competition benefit the often hard pressed majority,these people have become a law unto themselves.
        It is the same wherever you look.
        This attitude is unsustainable in the long term but why worry about tomorrow? Just stuff your pockets as full as you can, while you can.
      .......Im sure you have proof on what you claim....because if someone from the supermarkets reads your statements on here and decides to ask you to repeat them in a court of law....... .......

    I understand that there has already been a court case, and LIDL won it...theres even been a thread on Cyprus Forum about it which i think several members on here peruse...........

Hope it's true :wink: I want to be here to hear the squealing :lol:

Posted By: mouse

  • spurs wrote:
    • Andrew Brooks wrote:
      Well said Woodie.
      For myself, the main issue concerning present day Cyprus, is the way the people seem to have changed. I shared a few beers with a British Cypriot recently whose family had left for Britain as refugees. He had returned as a child for a couple of years, again as a young adult and again is here trying to sort out property issues in the north. He is dealing directly with the northern/ Turkish authorities and cannot believe the stick and tunnel vision he receives from Greek Cypriot friends and family.He commented how polite people were in the north, how welcoming.Even down to the way they drive !
      He now largely finds the people in the south to be greedy, arrogant and often corrupt.
      One example of this would appear to be the way the arrival of Lidl on the island is being treated. The big three French, German and Cypriot supermarket chains are fighting tooth and nail to stop Lidl bringing down prices.Hence opening dates are delayed. The government may try to reduce ridiculous profiteering by the supermarkets but these people have friends in 'high places'.One supermarket chief complained that he wanted to keep his profits at the same high level and would not comply. Rather than let free competition benefit the often hard pressed majority,these people have become a law unto themselves.
      It is the same wherever you look.
      This attitude is unsustainable in the long term but why worry about tomorrow? Just stuff your pockets as full as you can, while you can.
    .......Im sure you have proof on what you claim....because if someone from the supermarkets reads your statements on here and decides to ask you to repeat them in a court of law....... .......

Court of law!! :? What for freedom of speech.

Posted By: mouse

  • don wrote:
    Why didn't you move to Sri Lanka where you may still get treated like the days of the Raj because I think that is what you hate most about Cypriots is that they will tell you where to get off and you cannot stand that can you. It's just that Cypriots are not as poor as they used to be so don't take to getting on their knees anymore when one brings them M&S undies like they used to get the picture, if you want humble polite people then go to the North where they are still poor and humble, but beware the day will come when the North will prosper and the people there will have no more time for people like you either.
    • Andrew Brooks wrote:
      • spurs wrote:
        • Andrew Brooks wrote:
          Well said Woodie.
          For myself, the main issue concerning present day Cyprus, is the way the people seem to have changed. I shared a few beers with a British Cypriot recently whose family had left for Britain as refugees. He had returned as a child for a couple of years, again as a young adult and again is here trying to sort out property issues in the north. He is dealing directly with the northern/ Turkish authorities and cannot believe the stick and tunnel vision he receives from Greek Cypriot friends and family.He commented how polite people were in the north, how welcoming.Even down to the way they drive !
          He now largely finds the people in the south to be greedy, arrogant and often corrupt.
          One example of this would appear to be the way the arrival of Lidl on the island is being treated. The big three French, German and Cypriot supermarket chains are fighting tooth and nail to stop Lidl bringing down prices.Hence opening dates are delayed. The government may try to reduce ridiculous profiteering by the supermarkets but these people have friends in 'high places'.One supermarket chief complained that he wanted to keep his profits at the same high level and would not comply. Rather than let free competition benefit the often hard pressed majority,these people have become a law unto themselves.
          It is the same wherever you look.
          This attitude is unsustainable in the long term but why worry about tomorrow? Just stuff your pockets as full as you can, while you can.
        .......Im sure you have proof on what you claim....because if someone from the supermarkets reads your statements on here and decides to ask you to repeat them in a court of law....... .......

      Court of law ? :lol: Yours is the kind of blind faith that sustains corruption and nepotism. Very sad and very village.

Hi Don
I think that what most of us are trying to say is that perhaps a little more respect could be shown to foreign Ex- Pats not only British, but if you ask Poles, Bulgarians, Slovaks,Romanians etc. they are all saying the same things about Cypriots. In the Uk if you have a grievance against something or someone you have a body who can help and advise, but here we are just called whinging Brits, but its not just Brits is it.

Posted By: MCM Carrington

:shock: Marian 510! :D

Posted By: LynSab

My OH was not born a british citizen but is, he looks cypriot but is,nt, he is bi-lingual and now speaks and understands Greek reasonably well and has spoken it for over four years, so I asked him does speaking Greek make any difference to you than to those of us that don,t, in his opinion it has,nt made any difference at all as he is STILL foreign. But his attitude he believes is what helps, as do I.

Posted By: adyandkaren

Respect is a two way thing. Give and you shall receive, that is my honest experience in Cyprus. Whinge all the time about Cyprus/Cypriots (and no-one on this forum can say they haven't seen and heard it) and you will be labelled a whinging Brit. Rightly so, and not just by Cypriots! As a Brit myself, it is embarrassing at best and cringeworthy at worst. Just my two penn'orth mind.

Posted By: pantheman

  • mouse wrote:
    • spurs wrote:
      • Andrew Brooks wrote:
        Well said Woodie.
        For myself, the main issue concerning present day Cyprus, is the way the people seem to have changed. I shared a few beers with a British Cypriot recently whose family had left for Britain as refugees. He had returned as a child for a couple of years, again as a young adult and again is here trying to sort out property issues in the north. He is dealing directly with the northern/ Turkish authorities and cannot believe the stick and tunnel vision he receives from Greek Cypriot friends and family.He commented how polite people were in the north, how welcoming.Even down to the way they drive !
        He now largely finds the people in the south to be greedy, arrogant and often corrupt.
        One example of this would appear to be the way the arrival of Lidl on the island is being treated. The big three French, German and Cypriot supermarket chains are fighting tooth and nail to stop Lidl bringing down prices.Hence opening dates are delayed. The government may try to reduce ridiculous profiteering by the supermarkets but these people have friends in 'high places'.One supermarket chief complained that he wanted to keep his profits at the same high level and would not comply. Rather than let free competition benefit the often hard pressed majority,these people have become a law unto themselves.
        It is the same wherever you look.
        This attitude is unsustainable in the long term but why worry about tomorrow? Just stuff your pockets as full as you can, while you can.
      .......Im sure you have proof on what you claim....because if someone from the supermarkets reads your statements on here and decides to ask you to repeat them in a court of law....... .......

    Court of law!! :? What for freedom of speech.

There is freedom of speech and there is libel.
You can't play that card i'm afraid. if someone is being libelous then it is to the courts to sort it.
Come on you know better than that kev.
What AB had done was to criminalise the supermarkets in public. They could claim that he is tarnishing their good name.
Thats not freedom of speech, thats libel and a number of newspapers who have had to pay damages will vouch for that.
Good luck, let me know when the court case is set, oh but dont' worry this is Cyprus, maybe in 10 years. I bet that is now an acceptable wait a?
mind you, they may know a judge or two, so now he is B*****ed!
Anyone know prison visiting hours, i'll bring some fags Andrew.

Posted By: MCM Carrington

So Pan, Andrew can't say what he said, but you can say,'they may know a couple of Judges' bit of a contradiction there eh? must say though, it was nice of you and Spurs to try to show AB the error of his ways, I'm sure he appreciates it, although I think you will find that 'Libel' is speaking an untruth which may have a detremantal effect on a person or their business. Freedom of speach is simply speaking the truth. Anyways, they would have a job serving the papers, who is AB? :wink:

Posted By: Andrew Brooks

  • MCM Carrington wrote:
    So Pan, Andrew can't say what he said, but you can say,'they may know a couple of Judges' bit of a contradiction there eh? must say though, it was nice of you and Spurs to try to show AB the error of his ways, I'm sure he appreciates it, although I think you will find that 'Libel' is speaking an untruth which may have a detremantal effect on a person or their business. Freedom of speach is simply speaking the truth. Anyways, they would have a job serving the papers, who is AB? :wink:

Moi ? I'm ok , I know people in low places :wink:
Just out of interest,without prejudice of course, how many of you are happy with various interested parties doing their best to restrict potential competitors from operating legally and freely ? I take it that the court case reportedly recently won by Lidl, had something to do with this kind of thing.Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Having trawled around, I find that Lidl have been fighting to operate in Cyprus for years.All sorts of strange things happening with the government being put under pressure by other interested parties !
It looks like Lidl have won but it remains to be seen what their price structuring will be. Personally, I can't see why they would bother with all the investment and legal wranglings if they end up joining the mob.

Posted By: pantheman

  • MCM Carrington wrote:
    So Pan, Andrew can't say what he said, but you can say,'they may know a couple of Judges' bit of a contradiction there eh? must say though, it was nice of you and Spurs to try to show AB the error of his ways, I'm sure he appreciates it, although I think you will find that 'Libel' is speaking an untruth which may have a detremantal effect on a person or their business. Freedom of speach is simply speaking the truth. Anyways, they would have a job serving the papers, who is AB? :wink:

Hello Mr Sour, AB doesn't need your backup he can look after himself. My comment you mention above was said in sarcasm for the benefit of 'victor Meldrews' like you who like to put the boot in where Cyprus is concerned and I think YOU will find that SPEAKING an untruth is slander. So you need to get your facts right if you are trying to put someone done.
As I said before, freedom of speech is one thing, libel is another, and for your information, I was just stating fact, not having a go at AB (Andrew Brooks), because AB would know when I am having a dig.
But you are so hell bent to hang out Cypriot dirty washing in public you immediately went to his defence and yet you have the cheek to ask who is AB.
Mate, you want to get a life, if Cyprus is not for you, thats your perogative, but I (we) don't need sour people like you keep rubbing our noses in every small issue that arises here.
Pick a country you do like, find a forum on it and go play there.
Have a nice day!

Posted By: Woodrow Why?at

  • adyandkaren wrote:
    Respect is a two way thing. Give and you shall receive, that is my honest experience in Cyprus.
    Whinge all the time about Cyprus/Cypriots (and no-one on this forum can say they haven't seen and heard it) and you will be labelled a whinging Brit. Rightly so, and not just by Cypriots! As a Brit myself, it is embarrassing at best and cringeworthy at worst.
    Just my two penn'orth mind.

Actually, I believe I can truthfully say that I have never seen or heard anybody whinge all the time about Cyprus/Cypriots!
As I stated in my earlier post (55) people do rightfully have concerns about certain aspects of life here and seek to highlight them to try and improve life for everybody, Cypriot's and ex-pats alike!
I would imagine, for instance, that the family and friends of the young motorcyclist's, whose funerals' they have attended this year, don't now think that people who comment on road safety are just "whinging" for the sake of it!
Although it would appear that, in some people's world, everything is perfect, with nothing to complain about - apart, of course, about Brit's with a slightly differing viewpoint to theirs!!
Then they feel free to exercise THEIR "freedom of speech" to us, often with venom and bile! :roll:

Posted By: Charnwood Fox

Why do some people think they can say anything they feel like and hope to get away without consequence because of 'freedom of speech'? There is no such thing as 'total' freedom of speech. Why are there laws covering libel and slander, even in countries with 'freedom of speech'? Answers on a postcard.....

Posted By: MCM Carrington

:D Pan, You really do like digging those holes don't you. Now, you obviously don't appreciate my straight talking, that's too bad, you obviously don't like me making comments about the Cypriot Property shambles, that's too bad, you would like me to disappear and take my truths with me, that's too bad. Hang out Cypriot dirty washing? puting the boot in? Sour? Anything else? MY My, The maiden protesteth too much eh? :wink: Everyone else, I was under the impression that for something to be 'Libellous' it had to be an un-truth? maybe I'm wrong,and I can't be bothered to google it, can someone else do it? :D

Posted By: Woodrow Why?at

  • MCM Carrington wrote:
    :D Pan, You really do like digging those holes don't you. Now, you obviously don't appreciate my straight talking, that's too bad, you obviously don't like me making comments about the Cypriot Property shambles, that's too bad, you would like me to disappear and take my truths with me, that's too bad. Hang out Cypriot dirty washing? puting the boot in? Sour? Anything else? MY My, The maiden protesteth too much eh? :wink:
    Everyone else, I was under the impression that for something to be 'Libellous' it had to be an un-truth? maybe I'm wrong,and I can't be bothered to google it, can someone else do it? :D

MCM, no need to google. "The truth is a complete defence against slander and libel."
:wink:

Posted By: mouse

  • pantheman wrote:
    • mouse wrote:
      • spurs wrote:
        • Andrew Brooks wrote:
          Well said Woodie.
          For myself, the main issue concerning present day Cyprus, is the way the people seem to have changed. I shared a few beers with a British Cypriot recently whose family had left for Britain as refugees. He had returned as a child for a couple of years, again as a young adult and again is here trying to sort out property issues in the north. He is dealing directly with the northern/ Turkish authorities and cannot believe the stick and tunnel vision he receives from Greek Cypriot friends and family.He commented how polite people were in the north, how welcoming.Even down to the way they drive !
          He now largely finds the people in the south to be greedy, arrogant and often corrupt.
          One example of this would appear to be the way the arrival of Lidl on the island is being treated. The big three French, German and Cypriot supermarket chains are fighting tooth and nail to stop Lidl bringing down prices.Hence opening dates are delayed. The government may try to reduce ridiculous profiteering by the supermarkets but these people have friends in 'high places'.One supermarket chief complained that he wanted to keep his profits at the same high level and would not comply. Rather than let free competition benefit the often hard pressed majority,these people have become a law unto themselves.
          It is the same wherever you look.
          This attitude is unsustainable in the long term but why worry about tomorrow? Just stuff your pockets as full as you can, while you can.
        .......Im sure you have proof on what you claim....because if someone from the supermarkets reads your statements on here and decides to ask you to repeat them in a court of law....... .......

      Court of law!! :? What for freedom of speech.

    There is freedom of speech and there is libel.
    You can't play that card i'm afraid. if someone is being libelous then it is to the courts to sort it.
    Come on you know better than that kev.
    What AB had done was to criminalise the supermarkets in public. They could claim that he is tarnishing their good name.
    Thats not freedom of speech, thats libel and a number of newspapers who have had to pay damages will vouch for that.
    Good luck, let me know when the court case is set, oh but dont' worry this is Cyprus, maybe in 10 years. I bet that is now an acceptable wait a?
    mind you, they may know a judge or two, so now he is B*****ed!
    Anyone know prison visiting hours, i'll bring some fags Andrew.

Hi Pan
It would only be Libel if names were mentioned, so where does AB mention names. :?

Posted By: Richard.G

Gotta larf at this thread. It'll be entering a fortnight's confrontation in a couple of hours or so :lol:

Posted By: Steve - SJD

  • Woodrow Why?at wrote:

    MCM, no need to google. "The truth is a complete defence against slander and libel."
    :wink:

And who is prepared to spend thousands and I do mean thousands fighting it
out in court to decide whether it is the truth or not?? High court action does
not come cheap nor is it a quick process. Regardless of what we think may
be the truth it is often not as black and white as one would assume.
Cheers
Steve

Posted By: Steve - SJD

  • mouse wrote:
    Hi Pan
    It would only be Libel if names were mentioned, so where does AB mention names. :?

Nope that is not neccesarily the case - if it is easy enough for the average
person to determine who has been written or talked about.
Cheers
Steve

Posted By: bill

  • Richard.G wrote:
    Gotta larf at this thread. It'll be entering a fortnight's confrontation in a couple of hours or so :lol:

Don't think I'll post my experiences again if it produces this kind of response .
Bill

Posted By: Andrew Brooks

  • bill wrote:
    • Richard.G wrote:
      Gotta larf at this thread. It'll be entering a fortnight's confrontation in a couple of hours or so :lol:

    Don't think I'll post my experiences again if it produces this kind of response .
    Bill

Yes ..it's all your fault Bill !

Posted By: Charnwood Fox

Off topic but concerning the way this and many other threads are used. Steve, does not multiple quoting have a bearing on the site's bandwidth? Many of the quotes used here are superfluous.

Posted By: Woodrow Why?at

  • Andrew Brooks wrote:
    • bill wrote:
      • Richard.G wrote:
        Gotta larf at this thread. It'll be entering a fortnight's confrontation in a couple of hours or so :lol:

      Don't think I'll post my experiences again if it produces this kind of response .
      Bill

    Yes ..it's all your fault Bill !

Yes it is Andrew!
For a start, why did he want to park his car outside his friends house?
Surely there was a Zebra Crossing nearby he could have used!!!!
:wink: :lol:

Posted By: Woodrow Why?at

  • Steve - SJD wrote:
    • Woodrow Why?at wrote:

      MCM, no need to google. "The truth is a complete defence against slander and libel."
      :wink:

    Regardless of what we think may be the truth it is often not as black and white as one would assume.
    Cheers
    Steve

One man's truth is another man's spin, eh Steve!? :wink:

Posted By: mouse

  • Andrew Brooks wrote:
    • bill wrote:
      • Richard.G wrote:
        Gotta larf at this thread. It'll be entering a fortnight's confrontation in a couple of hours or so :lol:

      Don't think I'll post my experiences again if it produces this kind of response .
      Bill

    Yes ..it's all your fault Bill !

So we are all agreed, IT'S YOUR FAULT!!!! :lol:

Posted By: bill

  • mouse wrote:

    So we are all agreed, IT'S YOUR FAULT!!!! :lol:

Must be
Bill

Posted By: Woodrow Why?at

Bill reminds me of the story of the young man who joined a monastery, which was home to a silent order of monks. They were, however, allowed to speak once every seven years. At the end of that first period the head monk asked the young man if he had anything to say and he replied, "The puddings aren't very good!" Another seven years passed and when he was again allowed to speak he said "The puddings haven't improved any!" Seven more years went by and when asked again if he had anything to say he said, "Well, actually two things. Firstly, I still don't rate the puddings and secondly I've actually decided to leave!" The head monk looked him up and down and replied, "Frankly I'm not sorry you've decided to go.................. YOU"VE DONE NOTHING BUT COMPLAIN SINCE YOU GOT HERE!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:


[ ADVERTS: UK Stores Delivering To Cyprus | Find eBay Misspellings - Grab A Bargain! ]



Viewing Cyprus Eastern Forum Archive - Lo-Fi Version | Visit Cyprus Eastern Forum - Full Version | Questions?

TOP TIP: BUYING PROPERTY IN CYPRUS? PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOU SEEK INDEPENDANT LEGAL ADVICE FIRST.
Cyprus forum covering Kapparis, Protaras, Pernera, Agia Napa, Agia Thekla, Paralimni, Larnaca, Oroklini, Pervolia & surrounding areas
Please note that the views expressed on this forum are those of the author and may not reflect the views of the management.